Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 16GB of RAM upgrade and WEI memory score unchanged


09 Jun 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 
16GB of RAM upgrade and WEI memory score unchanged

My Windows Experience Index was @ 7.4 for the Memory (calculations per second) when I had 6GB of RAM in it. I put 16GB in it and it remains unchanged. My Processor and Primary Hard Disk score actually went up .1 point, lol, I don't know how or why. Anyways, you should know, It is the right ram for my computer, FOR SURE the right RAM. My computer is seeing and using the 16GB of RAM. I don't get it. I ran a memtest and all that. I know the WEI doesn't mean much, but like everyone else, I still get a little annoyed with thisl. Please, if you know anything about this, help me out with some insight. Peace!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jun 2012   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
My Windows Experience Index was @ 7.4 for the Memory (calculations per second) when I had 6GB of RAM in it. I put 16GB in it and it remains unchanged. My Processor and Primary Hard Disk score actually went up .1 point, lol, I don't know how or why. Anyways, you should know, It is the right ram for my computer, FOR SURE the right RAM. My computer is seeing and using the 16GB of RAM. I don't get it. I ran a memtest and all that. I know the WEI doesn't mean much, but like everyone else, I still get a little annoyed with thisl. Please, if you know anything about this, help me out with some insight. Peace!
The memory score won't change because of more memory. It only changes when there is faster memory put into the computer than what it already has, or if the current ram is overclocked to make it run at a higher speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Thanks, that makes sense bud... But on my Toshiba, I raised my memory score by 2 digits by upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. I don't see why it affected that then, hmmm..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jun 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
Thanks, that makes sense bud... But on my Toshiba, I raised my memory score by 2 digits by upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. I don't see why it affected that then, hmmm..
Hmmmm. I know that on my old Dell Inspiron, I reseated one of the ram sticks and the ram started running faster.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I am very thankful for you taking the time to answer my question. But I have another if you can.. I can't get faster ram for my laptop, right? I am only supposed to get a certain speed and that's it, right? There's not a whole lot of options of a laptop right? Yes, I'm a noob... But I use common sense and talk to computer nerds, so it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

OMG nevermind, I'm just now learning about CL=10 Cl=11... That asshole at the computer store said all RAM was the same. ****ing Microcenter know it all prick couldn't even get RAM right when I asked him. Jeez... It's not all the same at all. Why do they always say that at the store? I knew it wasn't. THey always say "Oh yeah, all RAM is the same" wtf
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heretikos View Post
OMG nevermind, I'm just now learning about CL=10 Cl=11... That asshole at the computer store said all RAM was the same. ****ing Microcenter know it all prick couldn't even get RAM right when I asked him. Jeez... It's not all the same at all. Why do they always say that at the store? I knew it wasn't. THey always say "Oh yeah, all RAM is the same" wtf
I wouldn't get too excited about it. The differences in timing and speed have very little effect in day-to-day use, although they can show up in benchmarks like WEI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

16 RAM is more than enough and 7.1 is a good score in WEI.
Mine only clocks in at 5.9 as it's DDR2 not DDR3 but runs perfectly fine.
Your system will run well on what you have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Please try not to over focus on the WEI number. The difference between 7.4 and 7.9 for your RAM will NOT amount to anything tangible when using the computer day-to-day.

Even if you went with faster timings from memory, I almost flat out guarantee that you could not prove with a stopwatch any difference whatsoever with any task that you perform on your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

For god sakes, I know the WEI is BS people. I ask out of curiosity, ok. If that bugs you, then go away. I know my computers ram runs good. I'm just curious about the WEI as many others are, even though we all know it's BS. Any insight as to why upgrading from 4GB to 8GB in my toshiba doubles my memory score in WEI (alos it raised the graphics scores for some reason)? Or why my CPU and disk data transfer rate went up .1 point on this current system when adding the 16GB?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 16GB of RAM upgrade and WEI memory score unchanged




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 16GB of RAM upgrade and WEI memory score unchanged
Thread Forum
Qosmio X505-Q898 laptop was able to upgrade to 16gb RAM Hardware & Devices
Extremely slow boot after upgrade to 16GB Performance & Maintenance
Free recover files from SanDisk 16GB microSDHC Memory Card after forma Software
How to save the desktop icon settigs to guarantee they stay unchanged? Installation & Setup
Windows backup keeps backing up unchanged files and folders Backup and Restore
Memory Upgrade Log Hardware & Devices
Why memory score so low? Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33