Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: C drive properties


17 Jul 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 
C drive properties

When looking at the C drive, all I can account for is about 30gb, yet properties says 84gb used.

Why the discrepancy?



Attached Thumbnails
C drive properties-c-drive-pic.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jul 2012   #2

Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
 
 

What do you mean that you can only "account" for the 30GB?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HonorGamer View Post
What do you mean that you can only "account" for the 30GB?
When I look at all the names ( users, programs, etc) they all total up to about 30gb.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Jul 2012   #4

Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
 
 

Well remember, there are also background programs that run. Have you been through your Programs and Features to look at all of your installed programs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HonorGamer View Post
Well remember, there are also background programs that run. Have you been through your Programs and Features to look at all of your installed programs?
No, I haven't.
But are you saying that background programs could account for 50gb?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #6

Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
 
 

Have you also included windows files? And have you cleared out your temp folder? I know this isn't gonna take up 50GB, but it could clear out some. Not all the time, everything you see my adding it all up will be exact with what windows is saying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HonorGamer View Post
Have you also included windows files? And have you cleared out your temp folder? I know this isn't gonna take up 50GB, but it could clear out some. Not all the time, everything you see my adding it all up will be exact with what windows is saying.

I have no idea what your last sentence means.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
 
 

When you "account" for all of your programs and such. Most of the time it won't be the same as what Windows will say it will be. Yes it could be a glitch in windows, but it could also be that there is more on your computer then you think.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #9

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HonorGamer View Post
When you "account" for all of your programs and such. Most of the time it won't be the same as what Windows will say it will be. Yes it could be a glitch in windows, but it could also be that there is more on your computer then you think.
If I look at all files that show on C drive - they only add up to 30gb.
That is why I am confused.
Wouldn't everything on my computer show on C drive - as in the pic?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #10

Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
 
 

How are you adding these files up? Are you hovering over the file and waiting for the caption to come up and tell you the size of the folder?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 C drive properties




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33