Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remove C and System reserved from Defrag

31 Aug 2012   #1
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 
Remove C and System reserved from Defrag

I just recently got an SSD and I was wondering if I could remove the C drive and System Reserved from defrag, but leave my other hard drive in there so I don't accidentally defrag my SSD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Aug 2012   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

SSDs are typically recognized as SSDs by Windows and are NOT part of a standard defragmentation.

But you can certainly confirm your defrag settings to be sure that regular hard drives are defragged and SSDs are not.

Right click the drive, choose properties, then tools, then defragment now. Then "configure schedule". In my case, the SSD is not even listed as a choice under "select disks".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #3
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
SSDs are typically recognized as SSDs by Windows and are NOT part of a standard defragmentation.

But you can certainly confirm your defrag settings to be sure that regular hard drives are defragged and SSDs are not.

Right click the drive, choose properties, then tools, then defragment now. Then "configure schedule". In my case, the SSD is not even listed as a choice under "select disks".
I go to the defrag and it still shows the c drive and system reserved, which is my SSD. So it still shows it in the defrag. I'll probably use the defrag for my tb drive that I have, but I don't want to accidentally defrag my SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Aug 2012   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post

I go to the defrag and it still shows the c drive and system reserved, which is my SSD.
Post a screen shot of the screen in which the C drive is shown.

Just because it is shown in the screen below doesn't mean it will be defragged.

C is an SSD on my system. It is not defragged and is not part of the defrag schedule.


Attached Thumbnails
-untitled-1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #5
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

It shows it exactly like that with the system reserved as well. They're both the SSD. I don't want to accidentally click it and hit defrag. I'm a bit of a perfectionist too, so it will annoy me if it shows how much it's fragmented. It will make me want to defrag it. Lol. I'm a bit OCD about it I guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
it will annoy me if it shows how much it's fragmented. It will make me want to defrag it.
If it annoys you, why would you voluntarily open defrag to take a look?

That's a rhetorical question.

Do you have a similar impulse to delete partitions when you examine them in Disk Management?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #7
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
it will annoy me if it shows how much it's fragmented. It will make me want to defrag it.
If it annoys you, why would you voluntarily open defrag to take a look?

That's a rhetorical question.

Do you have a similar impulse to delete partitions when you examine them in Disk Management?
Lol, no. I don't open disk management unless I'm making partitions. I open defrag to check how much a disk is fragmented to defrag it. This is my first SSD and I'm not used to seeing something fragmented that I shouldn't defrag. I am a bit curious why you don't have a system reserved though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
I am a bit curious why you don't have a system reserved though.
System Reserved partitions are optional.

I chose not to have one when I installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #9
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
I am a bit curious why you don't have a system reserved though.
System Reserved partitions are optional.

I chose not to have one when I installed.
I've only seen Windows 7 do this, but I was always curious why there was one and if there would be a difference without one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

System Reserved contains files--but those files can be placed on C if you prefer. If they are on C, you don't need System Reserved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remove C and System reserved from Defrag




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Defrag System Reserved partition
Does anyone know how to (if possible), to defragment the System Reserved partition pls?
Performance & Maintenance
Need to Resize or Remove System Reserved Partition
Hi, I have a software Asus Express Gate which refuse to start because I don't have enough space available in my System reserved partition, (ya I know this is the reason co'z I've searched alot) so this is why I want to resize my system reserved partition which is currently on 100MB but the problem...
Installation & Setup
Remove System Reserved partition from external drive
Hi I've taken a 1TB SATA HDD from a second computer which had Windows 7 OS on it. I have housed it in an external caddy to use as a backup drive for my primary computer. It comes up as two paritions G and H. I've formatted G to give me a 931Gb drive and I have a H drive with 99.9MB which is the...
Installation & Setup
Defrag - System Reserved?
When I open the defragmentor under the disk it show C: of course but under that I have another one labeled "System Reserved" and I have no idea what it is. I only have one hard drive installed at the moment and my external isn't plugged in, but it will let me defrag or analayze it... anyone know...
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App