Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is my computer to hot? (Screenshot)

06 Sep 2012   #11
ReviverSoft

Windows 7 HP / Ultimate x64
 
 

Something that's probably worth mentioning here is that HPs are known to heat up very fast, due to the poor ventilation they offer by design. They never did make any good gaming laptops, so I wouldn't expect one to perform to that extent either. Definitely wouldn't game for long periods on a HP notebook. Especially one one of those fancy multimedia series ones.

I would also recommend using a good laptop cooling pad as suggested previously. Does make a difference with the temps. NZXT and Cryo offer some coolers that work on AC Power.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Sep 2012   #12
BlankZ

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ReviverSoft View Post
Something that's probably worth mentioning here is that HPs are known to heat up very fast, due to the poor ventilation they offer by design. They never did make any good gaming laptops, so I wouldn't expect one to perform to that extent either. Definitely wouldn't game for long periods on a HP notebook. Especially one one of those fancy multimedia series ones.

I would also recommend using a good laptop cooling pad as suggested previously. Does make a difference with the temps. NZXT and Cryo offer some coolers that work on AC Power.

I understand your concern.. I believe this is one of those "fancy" multimedia type notebook. I tend play games that aren't that graphically intense.. such as minecraft. After a few hours of playing it could get really hot.. i mean, if I open my computer and put my hand on that hardware, my hand will melt!

I do agree with you when you say HP doesn't seem to make laptops with good ventilation. What seems to worry me more than the heat is my gfx card.. it sounds like a turbo when it's been doing its thing for more than a few hours.. scary noise.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out, I'm really in need of one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #13
BlankZ

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
 
 

Check out my systems temperatures after a couple hours of playing last night! I think that is as hot my laptop has ever got..

I'm ordering one of those cooling pads today after I get paid.. I also configured my maximum processor rate to 80% connected to a power source, hope that helps a bit. Anyone else know of anything I could do to possibly lower my temp's a bit?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Sep 2012   #14
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Wow those are dangerous temps! Aside from the cooling pad make sure all of your vents are free of dust. A can of compressed air can blow them out. don't use the lappy on any soft, cloth surface like a pillow or sofa cushion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #15
x BlueRobot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Wow those are dangerous temps! Aside from the cooling pad make sure all of your vents are free of dust. A can of compressed air can blow them out. don't use the lappy on any soft, cloth surface like a pillow or sofa cushion.
I agree with Britton30, the temperatures are very high, and it's good you have ordered a cooling pad should lower your temperatures well, and as said before, make sure the vents are clean from any dust using compressed air.

Hope this helps,

Harry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #16
theveterans

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Crazy temps. A Sandy Bridge based laptop would've had a thermal shut down at those temps. Ivy Bridge laptop CPUs though can still handle these temps with mild to no throttling from some review websites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2012   #17
Curious Mew

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I own one of these HPs too, playing Minecraft has always caused my fan to speed up.. and it's only Minecraft, lol. Fan slows down considerably after closing it.

The only other times my fan has sped up was during a complete reinstall with updates to Windows, and the HP Support Assistant. Fan was running so fast (felt like 300mph), I thought my laptop was going to blast off!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2012   #18
theveterans

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

@Curious Mew

Almost all 3D games (even the old Counter Strike 1.6) will use your CPU to 100% CPU on 1 core/thread (GPU usage depends on the game and its video settings) for as long as they are running. No matter how old or graphically weak the 3D game is, it will still use 100% CPU on 1 thread (or balance the load in each core if the game supports multithreading i.e. instead of 100% load on 1 core, it may use 80% CPU on 2 cores) so it's natural to hear the fans sound like a jet taking off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2012   #19
x BlueRobot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Mew View Post
I own one of these HPs too, playing Minecraft has always caused my fan to speed up.. and it's only Minecraft, lol. Fan slows down considerably after closing it.

The only other times my fan has sped up was during a complete reinstall with updates to Windows, and the HP Support Assistant. Fan was running so fast (felt like 300mph), I thought my laptop was going to blast off!!
The HP Support Assistant did the same thing to my fans! Was it a BIOS update?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2012   #20
bobafetthotmail

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

general rule of thumb: if you cannot keep your hands confortably on the underside, you need a cooling pad.

Ones with big fans do wonders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is my computer to hot? (Screenshot)




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
RE : screenshot.
Not sure where to post this. How do you set up a screenshot in such a way that when someone clicks at it, it will turn full size. Just like what happens here in these forums, but it was done by the forum. I'd like to know if I could do the same thing myself if I posted in other forums ( oh-oh,...
Chillout Room
Blank/empty drive in Computer (screenshot)
I picked up an HP 2000 at Office Depot ($350, ftw) for a friend yesterday and have spent last night and this morning getting it set up (personalized and whatnot). Anyway, I had to remove the HP_TOOLS partition (don't worry, I backed up all the data on it into the C drive) in order to add in a...
General Discussion
MW3 screenshot help
I use theater mode and took a screenshot! I cant find it any where in my steam/common/mw3 files on my pc! any idea where i can locate it?:cry:
Gaming
screenshot
how can i post my screenshot here?
General Discussion
Screenshot
Seems I can get a screenshot from anywhere on my PC with the exception of MC :confused: What are people using to get screenshots? Thanks, Al
Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App