Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Self Sleeping


23 Sep 2012   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Ok, thanks, but the problem is not on clearing the Event logs. I just sowed it for you to see how really often I have to wake up the PC because of that self sleep. What I need is to find what makes it sleep. Can you tell me that, please?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Sep 2012   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Cleaning the log was meant to give a clean slate so the new logs would be easier to decipher. I don't have the skills to interpret the logs myself, assuming they have the info needed to find the cause. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2012   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Thank you Guy, that batch file is very useful because there are lots of Event logs and the viewer lets only delete one by one, a real pain in the a... However, my big concern now is finding what makes the PC sleep by itself. Some times it is worse than annoying. I am typing this post with the mouse on the On-Screen Keyboard because when I type on the normal standard keyboard it goes into sleep . Even so it keeps going into sleep every now and then anyway. Some other times it behaves normally. The problem with the logs is that there is not one mentioning start sleep, but only wake time.

Can you or someone else tell me how to find what makes this happen, please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Sep 2012   #14

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

You could try using a trace to see if it shows what causes the sleep.
Gathering a Startup, Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate, or Reboot Trace

You could also try a clean startup to make sure it is not one of your startup programs causing this.
Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2012   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Hello David,

I wanted to do that, but the SDK installation failed three times with the same error on the last line of the setup log:
01:57:29 24 September 2012: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Windows SDK Setup (failed): Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack: at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.Product.SetupProduct(TaskMode taskMode, ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ProductCollection.SetupProducts(TaskMode taskMode, DownloadManager downloadManager, ManualResetEvent cancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ConfigProducts.DoCurrentTask(TaskMode Task)

Is this information useful? Is there anything I can correct?

I am very disappointed because I believed I was going to solve this annoying and silly issue. I wonder what could stop it a little after starting.

I think I can't use the clean startup for this case because the issue is not permanent, it has intermittent cycles, so I can't be sure about the results, but I'll try it tomorrow anyway, and will let you know. Thank you for trying to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2012   #16

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

May I ask what anti viruses you use?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2012   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

The issue is now almost permanent. I made the clean startup with all services and startup tabs off. When I use the keyboard it seems to go into sleep mode just as in normal mode, but the fans don't stop and it doesn't wake. I have to use the reboot button.

The anti-virus is Avast 7. It rearms itself on clean srartup. The same happens with three Windows services. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2012   #18

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neophile View Post
Hello David,

I wanted to do that, but the SDK installation failed three times with the same error on the last line of the setup log:
01:57:29 24 September 2012: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Windows SDK Setup (failed): Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack: at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.Product.SetupProduct(TaskMode taskMode, ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ProductCollection.SetupProducts(TaskMode taskMode, DownloadManager downloadManager, ManualResetEvent cancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ConfigProducts.DoCurrentTask(TaskMode Task)

Is this information useful? Is there anything I can correct?

I am very disappointed because I believed I was going to solve this annoying and silly issue. I wonder what could stop it a little after starting.

I think I can't use the clean startup for this case because the issue is not permanent, it has intermittent cycles, so I can't be sure about the results, but I'll try it tomorrow anyway, and will let you know. Thank you for trying to help.
I don't know why you get an error for the SDK installation.
I asked cluberti (Tutorial author) if he could take a look at this.

fwiw, i have a Win 7 32 Bit system with Avast and no problems with Sleep or Hibernate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2012   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Have you tried using the Find... command within Event Viewer to search for "sleep reason"?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neophile View Post
Hello F5ing,

What search terms shall I use, please?
I'm sorry I don't have time to search through your event logs. The search term I was referring to is simply "sleep reason". Not sure you'll find what you're looking for though. Just tried it on a Windows 7 machine where I know I've got more legitimate sleeps than what's reported if I search for that term.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2012   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Thank you for the answers. The PC was not self sleeping earlier today, but went back to self sleep in the middle of typing this post.


Quote:
DavidW7ncus
I don't know why you get an error for the SDK installation.
I asked cluberti (Tutorial author) if he could take a look at this.

fwiw, i have a Win 7 32 Bit system with Avast and no problems with Sleep or Hibernate.
About three years ago I had an hibernation issue and was asked to install the same SDK. No problem then, and the issue was solved after sending the results which I got easily. So I don't understand why it does not install now.


Quote:
F5ing
I'm sorry I don't have time to search through your event logs. The search term I was referring to is simply "sleep reason". Not sure you'll find what you're looking for though. Just tried it on a Windows 7 machine where I know I've got more legitimate sleeps than what's reported if I search for that term.
Sorry, I didn't understand the search terms you meant. I did the search now with "sleep reason", and the result was ...there is no event that contains the specified string... This confirms why I couldn't find any start sleep event and why I can't find the cause. How can it be solved without knowing what makes it happen?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Self Sleeping




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Self Sleeping
Thread Forum
W7 64 bit not sleeping. Performance & Maintenance
Second monitor will not come on after sleeping Graphic Cards
A sleeping desktop! Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 x64 not sleeping BSOD Help and Support
computer not sleeping when it should be Performance & Maintenance
My PC is not sleeping... Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33