Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: high ram usage?


22 Sep 2009   #1

windows 7 ultimate X64
 
 
high ram usage?

whenever i try to see the ram usage of my computer it tells me around 40% or so right away at startup with 2gb of ram. I checked out the processes and see that svchost.exe is taking up about 94000 kb of ram. When i track that to a service i see it is the Windows driver foundation service.

Is this high ram usage because of a driver or does x64 take up quite a bit more of ram than x86?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Sep 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by saketh321 View Post
whenever i try to see the ram usage of my computer it tells me around 40% or so right away at startup with 2gb of ram. I checked out the processes and see that svchost.exe is taking up about 94000 kb of ram. When i track that to a service i see it is the Windows driver foundation service.

Is this high ram usage because of a driver or does x64 take up quite a bit more of ram than x86?
64bit does need more ram. Minimum is 2gigs. svchost using 94Mb isnt unusual.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #3

 

Stable responsive system with 4GB.

.


Attached Thumbnails
high ram usage?-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Sep 2009   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I keep Windows Driver Foundation disabled because I had some other problem with it. Never had a problem without it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #5

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Stable responsive system with 4GB.
Holy guacamole Antman!

I get Windows 7 x64 to run in less than 300MB. Barebones of course. Just enough stuff for gaming and browsing the net.

If you ever heard of blackviper than you know what I'm talking about. Except that my config is even more barebones than his.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #6

 

I do not adjust anything. My system is highly repsonsive and mostly issue free. Any anomolies have been introduced while attempting to recreate problems posted on the forum.

No USB power issues. No large file copy problems drive to drive, net loc to net loc, or via HTTP or FTP. No RDP issues. No disappearring volumes. No sluggish menus.

No vanishing GUI elements. All monitors come online on demand. No sleep issues. No hibernation issues.

Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

My point - leave it alone. It works fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #7

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I do not adjust anything. My system is highly repsonsive and mostly issue free. Any anomolies have been introduced while attempting to recreate problems posted on the forum.

No USB power issues. No large file copy problems drive to drive, net loc to net loc, or via HTTP or FTP. No RDP issues. No disappearring volumes. No sluggish menus.

No vanishing GUI elements. All monitors come online on demand. No sleep issues. No hibernation issues.

Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

My point - leave it alone. It works fine.
That's how mine runs, too. With 1 gig...

And, I boot XP from SD or USB anything.

What should I do to fix it ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #8

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I do not adjust anything. My system is highly repsonsive and mostly issue free. Any anomolies have been introduced while attempting to recreate problems posted on the forum.

No USB power issues. No large file copy problems drive to drive, net loc to net loc, or via HTTP or FTP. No RDP issues. No disappearring volumes. No sluggish menus.

No vanishing GUI elements. All monitors come online on demand. No sleep issues. No hibernation issues.

Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

My point - leave it alone. It works fine.
That's how mine runs, too. With 1 gig...

And, I boot XP from SD or USB anything.

What should I do to fix it ?
Spurn the combined wisdom of thousands of the cleverest people in the industry - the ones who wrote Windows and determined its default settings - and instead seek the guidance of one pimply-faced teenager who calls himself "Black Viper" as to what system components should be allowed to run and when
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #9

 

Acidic, acerbic - same thing?

Spot on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #10

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Acidic, acerbic - same thing?

Spot on.
I'm not at my fluffiest today. Perhaps it's because the sky looked like this all morning: Sydney Blanketed By Red Dust
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 high ram usage?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: high ram usage?
Thread Forum
Very high CPU usage, causing very high laptop CPU temps (90c idle) Performance & Maintenance
Win 7 intermediate user, low cpu usage high ram usage Performance & Maintenance
High CPU usage, low fps, high latency. Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 random CPU usage and high physical memory usage!!! Performance & Maintenance
High CPU Usage Using LAN Network & Sharing
High RAM usage? Performance & Maintenance
CPU high usage Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33