Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can you limit windows 7 ram (and still use the extra as ram disks etc)

17 Oct 2012   #1
Vodkaholic27

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Can you limit windows 7 ram (and still use the extra as ram disks etc)

Hello my first post here

My question is this
Can you limit the amount of ram windows is allowed to use?

Example I want windows to use 10gb of my ram and I am planing on using the other 22GB as a ram disk

Many thanks for reading this
Mike


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Oct 2012   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

That is possible. If you allocate the 22GB as Ramdisk, they will not be available for the OS - and the remaining 10GB is plenty. I have never seen Win7 using that much RAM for operation, maybe for caching.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2012   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

You have 32GB internal memory?
why the heck use a ram disk... for what purpose?

You can limit the amount the amount of ram win7 uses. But since you are running win7, the ramdisk has to be defined in win7 as well. So limitting ram to win7 isn't the way to go. You normally only limit the amount of ram for performance testing

msconfig->boot tab->advanced. There you can limit the amount of memory
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Oct 2012   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vodkaholic27 View Post
Can you limit the amount of ram windows is allowed to use?

Example I want windows to use 10gb of my ram and I am planing on using the other 22GB as a ram disk
Do you already have 32 GB installed and working?

Windows 7 Home Premium will not recognize more than 16 GB, so I think you'd need Professional or Ultimate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2012   #5
Vodkaholic27

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
That is possible. If you allocate the 22GB as Ramdisk, they will not be available for the OS - and the remaining 10GB is plenty. I have never seen Win7 using that much RAM for operation, maybe for caching.
Well I thought that but I can run out of memory sometimes.. hmm I'll try it again many thanks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You have 32GB internal memory?
why the heck use a ram disk... for what purpose?
Well not to be funny but because you can that's why.. Unreal speeds great for soo many things
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You can limit the amount the amount of ram win7 uses. But since you are running win7, the ramdisk has to be defined in win7 as well. So limitting ram to win7 isn't the way to go. You normally only limit the amount of ram for performance testing

msconfig->boot tab->advanced. There you can limit the amount of memory
Ive tryed this and you can't use the extra (after you have set the limit) as a ram disk sadly or this would that I was after.

Many thanks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vodkaholic27 View Post
Can you limit the amount of ram windows is allowed to use?

Example I want windows to use 10gb of my ram and I am planing on using the other 22GB as a ram disk
Do you already have 32 GB installed and working?

Windows 7 Home Premium will not recognize more than 16 GB, so I think you'd need Professional or Ultimate.
Hi yea I am on Ultimate
Cheers for the reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can you limit windows 7 ram (and still use the extra as ram disks etc)




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
MTU Limit - Test and change your connection's MTU limit
An MTU limit that is set too high can cause fragmented packets and packet loss on your connection. This tutorial will explain how to test if your MTU limit is sending fragmented packets and will explain how to find what value you should be using. 1) Open an elevated command prompt and type: ...
Tutorials
Some Extra Large Icons appear Extra Small
Hello all, I have been having a seriously frustrating time trying to fix icons displaying in my games folder way too small. Every icon is a custom x256 by x256 icon, and I have seen them all work properly at one point. However, for some reason these icons now appear in their 32x by 32x bit...
Customization
Windows 7 re-install limit
How do I know how many re-installs I can do with my win7 x64 disk. I plan on purchasing an SSD drive. I know I have the option of moving the current install to the new drive, but have no clue how. Ideally I'd like to reformat and re-install, because, a lot of files where misplace.renamed as I was...
Installation & Setup
partition Limit of 4 in windows 7
hello i got an problem i want windows 7 dual boot with linux. but i cant make more partitions and that sucks... soeone know how to delete this limit or an alternative? (see attachment):shock: (i have windows 7 ultimate that is mac theme)
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 memory limit
Does anyone know if the 32bit version of windows 7 is going to have the 4GB memory limit that previous installs have? Installed onto Dell Latitude D630 with no issues. LOVE the new control panel. I think windows has finally done something real good here, as long as they write drivers like a mother....
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App