Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: upgrade from xp to 7 to improve ram usage?


23 Sep 2009   #1

Windows XP
 
 
upgrade from xp to 7 to improve ram usage?

I am using a school laptop running winxp that has 2 GB ram. But it still uses 1 GB of the page file in addition to the physical ram. I heard that windows 7 has "better" performance that xp.

I was wondering if upgrading to vista and then 7 would help reduce ram usage. I suspect it is the educational crapware loaded on the laptop that is hogging the ram with background processes and the like, but I don't see how it can take up an entire 2 GB ram + 1 GB page file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Sep 2009   #2

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kirov View Post
I was wondering if upgrading to vista and then 7 would help reduce ram usage.
If you compare XP and 7 both at fresh install, 7 uses quite a bit more memory.

If your XP is extremely bloated and you've never done any maintenance, you will probably see a nice performance improvement by moving to 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #3

7600.20510 x86
 
 

7 has superior memory management. We all were impressed by this during the beta testing phase of the OS.

This doesn't mean I disagree with sup3rsprt. His post is correct too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Sep 2009   #4

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 



The memory management is better I suppose but I'm still not sure how that benefits me in the real world. So far all I can see about this memory management is that it makes Windows 7 look like a memory hog to anyone who doesn't know what's going on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #5

Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kirov View Post
I was wondering if upgrading to vista and then 7 would help reduce ram usage.
If you compare XP and 7 both at fresh install, 7 uses quite a bit more memory.

If your XP is extremely bloated and you've never done any maintenance, you will probably see a nice performance improvement by moving to 7.
Thanks, I plan on dual-booting into 7 since I still have to use xp once in awhile. Any tips on reducing OS bloat in xp? And 7 for that matter once I start installing stuff?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Windows 7 does use more memory....but the key word was omitted. It uses more memory....effectively.

If you compare the two side by side, it is very easy to see the difference between the two, once you've given SuperFetch enough time to learn your habits and frequently used applications. When you put the system under a load, you'll notice that XP bogs down, while Windows 7 continues to remain snappy and responsive. It isn't a trick or a gimmick, and it doesn't take much to see how this benefit helps out. All you need to do is compare two similar systems, with the same apps installed.

As for tips, dual-booting is so....stale, in my opinion. Load up Windows 7, virtualize XP, and enjoy a smooth, responsive system, that still gives you access to XP in the rare event you'll need it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kirov View Post
I am using a school laptop running winxp that has 2 GB ram. But it still uses 1 GB of the page file in addition to the physical ram. I heard that windows 7 has "better" performance that xp.

I was wondering if upgrading to vista and then 7 would help reduce ram usage. I suspect it is the educational crapware loaded on the laptop that is hogging the ram with background processes and the like, but I don't see how it can take up an entire 2 GB ram + 1 GB page file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nope you wouldn't. The absolute minimum for win 7 32bit is 1 gig. the page file is HD space used when you run out of memory.Certainly if you clean install you are going to be more efficient but that means re-installing all your apps

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #8

Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Windows 7 does use more memory....but the key word was omitted. It uses more memory....effectively.

If you compare the two side by side, it is very easy to see the difference between the two, once you've given SuperFetch enough time to learn your habits and frequently used applications. When you put the system under a load, you'll notice that XP bogs down, while Windows 7 continues to remain snappy and responsive. It isn't a trick or a gimmick, and it doesn't take much to see how this benefit helps out. All you need to do is compare two similar systems, with the same apps installed.

As for tips, dual-booting is so....stale, in my opinion. Load up Windows 7, virtualize XP, and enjoy a smooth, responsive system, that still gives you access to XP in the rare event you'll need it.
This helps a lot, thanks. I don't think virtualizing xp will work though. XP is so bloated it uses 2 1/2 GB of ram when idle. Does anyone know how do reduce xp's bloat? That would be nice.

[quote=zigzag3143;281195]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kirov View Post

Nope you wouldn't. The absolute minimum for win 7 32bit is 1 gig. the page file is HD space used when you run out of memory.Certainly if you clean install you are going to be more efficient but that means re-installing all your apps

Hope this helps

Ken
So your saying I shouldn't install win 7? Maybe your misinterpreted me, the laptop has 2 gb ram but xp bloat takes 3 gb hence the page file usage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

If your install of XP is using that much memory, then you must have some malware or many, many third party apps running in the background.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Kirov

I think your xp is so peppered with apps, etc that the only way to get either xp or win 7 to work is going to be a clean install. I orginally was running win 7 in 2 gig or ram and quite nicely.

So you have to make your decision and go with it. XP or win 7?


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 upgrade from xp to 7 to improve ram usage?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: upgrade from xp to 7 to improve ram usage?
Thread Forum
Solved Ram usage always high, how can improve this (win7ultimatex64) Performance & Maintenance
Frequent unresponsiveness, 100% hardware disk usage, 0% software usage Performance & Maintenance
How to improve 5.9 PC rating. How to improve disc data transfer General Discussion
CPU Usage 100 percent after ram upgrade Performance & Maintenance
Upgrade from Windows Xp to Windows 7, Lag spikes, high Cpu Usage System Security
How to improve CPU usage !! Performance & Maintenance
Easy way to improve CPU usage Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33