Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 12+ gig page file: What to do?

05 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 
12+ gig page file: What to do?

I know this has been debated a few times but…

I just upgraded my i7-950 system from 6 to 12gig of RAM with some Corsair Dominator GT modules (3 x 4gig) and all is swell and good.

However, I was… "reminded" by my hard drive space that the page file also increased with the additional RAM.

So, my question… with 12gig of memory, should I decrease the page file from 12 to 6gig?

I normally let Windows manage the page file, but with a 12 page file now, I’m thinking that’s too much and want to rein it in.

BTW I have the page file on my OS drive (256gig SSD drive), but I have plenty of space left. I’ve also got a 120gig SSD drive in the system that I use as my photo processing drive. Should I move the page file there?

Thoughts???

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2012   #2

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I have 12 gigs of ram and I have never had a problem just letting Windows 7 take care of page filing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Well I already said I didn't have a problem letting Windows manage the page file; I just question the need for a 12gig page file.

Name:  Page file tab.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  65.7 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Dec 2012   #4

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

My understanding of page filling.
When your system is running low on ram because of use it will use page filing to your SSD. With 12 gigs of ram that most likely won't happen very much. If your page filing is set at 12 gigs and the system only needs 2 gigs of page filing that is all that it will use. With a hard drive page filing could cause fragmentation but with a SSD you won't have that problem to worry about. If your SSD is without defects using it won't hurt it. All SSD's I have read about warranty according to the amount of time its used not how many reads or wrights have been done. If you use a lot of high memory demanding programs you might get into page filing a lot more and then you could shift your page filing to another drive but in most cases with 12 gigs of ram that won't happen. Your operating system is on your 256 gig SSD if Windows is managing your page filing it is using your 256 gig SSD for page filing and it will not hurt your SSD. That is why I would let Windows take care of it for you. That being said you could set it at 6 gigs max if you like but I don't believe it will matter one way or the other.
Your first post stated things were swell and good. I would leave them swell and good if it was my computer. You will not hurt your SSD or ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 
The question still remains...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
My understanding of page filling.
When your system is running low on ram because of use it will use page filing to your SSD. With 12 gigs of ram that most likely won't happen very much. If your page filing is set at 12 gigs and the system only needs 2 gigs of page filing that is all that it will use. With a hard drive page filing could cause fragmentation but with a SSD you won't have that problem to worry about.
Right, that's my understanding as well. Which is why I question the need for 12.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
If your SSD is without defects using it won't hurt it. All SSD's I have read about warranty according to the amount of time its used not how many reads or wrights have been done. If you use a lot of high memory demanding programs you might get into page filing a lot more and then you could shift your page filing to another drive but in most cases with 12 gigs of ram that won't happen.
Right, I get that as well. As a photographer I run both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 to process 70+ megabyte RAW files, and often have iTunes playing in the background, yet I've never had memory issues with the 6gig of RAM, or a 6gig page file.

The doubling of RAM was simply help speed up the process of both Lightroom & Photoshop. Which seems to fly now.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Your operating system is on your 256 gig SSD if Windows is managing your page filing it is using your 256 gig SSD for page filing and it will not hurt your SSD. That is why I would let Windows take care of it for you. That being said you could set it at 6 gigs max if you like but I don't believe it will matter one way or the other
Yeah, not only do I understand that, but that's exactly how I have it, and stated that. However, I still question the need for a 12gig page file.

My thinking... If Windows operated fine with the 6gig page file, now that I have 12gig installed, why should I not drop the page file back down to 6, and save myself 6gig of hard drive space. Yeah, I'm not hurting for HD space, but still, I question the need for a 12gig page file.

As you say, I don't see Windows using the entire 12gig file. I agree, and in fact, often thought about dropping the file size down even when it was at 6gig; instead I just let Windows manage it because it was only 6gig. Now, 12 seems a bit too much, and I'm not sure it'll ever get used. Thus my question.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Your first post stated things were swell and good. I would leave them swell and good if it was my computer. You will not hurt your SSD or ram.
I'm not worried about hurting the SSD drive, nor have I ever worried about that. And though things are good and well, they were also that way with 6. I just swapped, and increased the RAM for better performance. However, my question remains... with 12gig of RAM installed, do I really need a 12gig page file?

I'm just trying to find thoughts/opinions on the question.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #6

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

What you should do or not do is your decision.
That all the information I can give you with my 3 brain cells.
Their is no right or wrong way. Try it both ways and see which way Windows 7 and you like.
As your first sentence in your first posted states: I know this has been debated a few times but…

Their will be others drop by to post.
Sorry I can't help you more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
What you should do or not do is your decision.
.
So what was the point of my post?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
I know this has been debated a few times but…

I just upgraded my i7-950 system from 6 to 12gig of RAM with some Corsair Dominator GT modules (3 x 4gig) and all is swell and good.

However, I was… "reminded" by my hard drive space that the page file also increased with the additional RAM.

So, my question… with 12gig of memory, should I decrease the page file from 12 to 6gig?

I normally let Windows manage the page file, but with a 12 page file now, I’m thinking that’s too much and want to rein it in.

BTW I have the page file on my OS drive (256gig SSD drive), but I have plenty of space left. I’ve also got a 120gig SSD drive in the system that I use as my photo processing drive. Should I move the page file there?

Thoughts???

Thanks.
Yeah I'm looking for opinions. Sorry you couldn't help.

Later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2012   #8
4wd

W8+8.1, W7 ult+hp, XP
 
 

I've been doing this for the last 5 years or more: min 200 MB max 4000 MB. Set the max to whatever you want. Never ever spotted any instance where it went over min. Check the size now and then, most likely it'll stay put on the min setting. Test it out and see how you like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Currently with my 120GB SSD, I have a 800MB page file on the SSD and let Windows manage an additional page file on a 2TB HHD. I have had no issues. I have 16GB of RAM.

Originally, I had set a 1024MB page file on the SSD (no other page file set) with the same size RAM and again no issues.

If it weren't for the fact that I chose not to have a near 20GB page file using space on my SSD, I would let Windows manage it entirely.

Just my opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2012   #10

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

I agree. Here is how I've set my paging file (PF) up. Each OS has a 1GB fixed size PF on the SSD OS partition. They also share a dedicated 24GB partition on one of my HDDs, identified by P, and this is System Managed.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 4
Size:  17.2 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 12+ gig page file: What to do?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 12+ gig page file: What to do?
Thread Forum
Solved Page File Installation & Setup
The Page file Performance & Maintenance
Page File Performance & Maintenance
Page file set up? Performance & Maintenance
page file help Performance & Maintenance
page file on or off? Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33