Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fast boot up when 2nd HDD is disconnected.


18 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Fast boot up when 2nd HDD is disconnected.

Hello again,
Recently I installed a SSD and was happy with the speed.Boot takes about 14 seconds.I have another 2 HDD.one is Hitachi 1TB 7200 and another one is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB HDD.So yesterday,i tried disconnect my Hitachi HDD and boot up my PC.My boot up time is way more faster about 8 seconds and even the windows flag haven't finished.Is it normal?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2012   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

If you disconnect the Seagate does anything similar happen, with or without Hitachi also plugged in?

Is it possible the Hitachi has old boot code on it from having an OS install at one time? If so it might be worth moving the data off to wipe the boot sector with Diskpart Clean Command
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you disconnect the Seagate does anything similar happen, with or without Hitachi also plugged in?

Is it possible the Hitachi has old boot code on it from having an OS install at one time? If so it might be worth moving the data off to wipe the boot sector with Diskpart Clean Command
If i disconnect/connect the Seagate,boot up time is the same but with the Hitachi disconnected,boot up improves alot.I have a OEM Win 7 Home Premium on my Hitachi drive and I have used about 660GB.My Seagate drive is only 50 GB used.

Is it safe to wipe the boot sector on my Hitachi drive because I stil want to boot my old OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Dec 2012   #4
Microsoft MVP

 

You'll need to wait until you're ready to get rid of the old OS, then back up it's files first to wipe the Hitachi.

Do you have a Windows Dual Boot menu or are you choosing OS to boot via the BIOS boot order and boot menu key?

With all drives plugged in please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map and listings, using the Snipping Tool in Start Menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You'll need to wait until you're ready to get rid of the old OS, then back up it's files first to wipe the Hitachi.

Do you have a Windows Dual Boot menu or are you choosing OS to boot via the BIOS boot order and boot menu key?

With all drives plugged in please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map and listings, using the Snipping Tool in Start Menu.
Okay.For now im not ready to get rid of the old OS but i will gona wipe it later.I boot the OS via the BIOS boot menu.

Here the screenshot of Disk Management:
[IMG][/IMG]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

You have Win8 on Disk0 which is booted via the BIOS, correct? I'm wondering why it has no System flag on its boot partition like Windows 7 does, signifying it boots itself.

The problem with Disk2 is that you ignored a warning that it was converting to Dynamic disk which is only meant to span partitions across multiple HD's. You must convert it back to Basic, first deleting the extra partitions which caused it to convert to Dynamic. You can only have Four Primary Partitions on a HD. But you can convert one to Logical to add as adjacent many Logicals as you want.

To convert Disk 2 to Basic use free Partition Wizard. The last version which offered this feature for free is partition wizard 4.2 free.zip - Windows Live.

Download, unzip and install to Windows 7, start program, follow this video for How to convert dynamic disk to basic disk with Partition Wizard. First delete the two smallest data partitions to allow conversion. Did you not notice these are all lettered F?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You have Win8 on Disk0 which is booted via the BIOS, correct? I'm wondering why it has no System flag on its boot partition like Windows 7 does, signifying it boots itself.

The problem with Disk2 is that you ignored a warning that it was converting to Dynamic disk which is only meant to span partitions across multiple HD's. You must convert it back to Basic, first deleting the extra partitions which caused it to convert to Dynamic. You can only have Four Primary Partitions on a HD. But you can convert one to Logical to add as adjacent many Logicals as you want.

To convert Disk 2 to Basic use free Partition Wizard. The last version which offered this feature for free is partition wizard 4.2 free.zip - Windows Live.

Download, unzip and install to Windows 7, start program, follow this video for How to convert dynamic disk to basic disk with Partition Wizard. First delete the two smallest data partitions to allow conversion. Did you not notice these are all lettered F?
Yes I have windows 8 on Disk 0.I've notice that the 3 letter F but i thought it was normal so i just leave it like that.I'll tell you later after download the File.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Will doing this delete all my file and can't boot again from the HDD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

If you run the conversion correctly as shown in this video then it is non-destructive and has never caused data loss in countless times we've helped do it here: How to convert dynamic disk to basic disk with Partition Wizard?

What's amazing is that the HD even boots since a Dynamic Disk isn't meant to be used for anything except to span a single partition across multiple HD's. So you already ruined your install, and we are trying to help you recover it.

If you'd like to be absolutely sure then back up your data first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

So I have successfully convert the disk to basic.Boot up is still slow with the drive connected.Do i have to wipe the boot sector too? sorry for noob here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fast boot up when 2nd HDD is disconnected.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Fast boot up when 2nd HDD is disconnected.
Thread Forum
Solved Disable fast boot up to enable BIOS Settings General Discussion
Boot-up fast, loading slow. Performance & Maintenance
SSD boot and shutdown not as fast as hoped? Performance & Maintenance
Solved Some Fast help please :( Windows boot ini gone General Discussion
Fast Boot, but high disk load (64-bit Ultimate) Performance & Maintenance
Slow boot up sometimes, other times fast Performance & Maintenance
Super fast boot time Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33