Should this be posted in Installation & Setup or Performance & Maintenance?
Hard drive in 2009 Satellite P500 series notebook, Windows 7 Home Premium X64, is pre-Advanced Format Drive.
- The 2008, 500 GB Hard drive failed with SMART warning at every boot. (Pre-Advanced Format Drive)
- Replace with new 500 GB HDD (AFD) Advanced format.
- Repair with Toshiba supplied 3 Disc set
"Recovery Media Satellite P500 series"...
- Boot okay, no network, Device Mgr shows 6 yellow exclamation marks, but properties all show "The device is working properly". Download latest drivers and install... no change in symptoms.
- Scrounge up another 2008 (320 GB) Hard drive, and the Recovery Media installs fine.
System boots and everything is working great.
- Image Backup with three different programs, (PQ Drive Image (GHOST), Acronis, Active@Disk Image)
- Restore to new 500 GB (AFD) hard drive
- Continue to configure and customize system, and install all the latest updates.
- Install again, the new AFD hard drive into computer.
- Machine seems okay.. Use it for a couple days...
Discover that Windows Update does not work. Says service is not running... but it is. I spent most of a day trying to resolve... can't fix it.
Download an install a stand-alone fix does not work either.And it now reports "NOT GENUINE"
Also I discovered a lot of repetitive errors in Event Log, one of which is Cryptographic Services failed, error 583.
Another on Windows Search Service, 0c2004117f
Both those errors mention "database error"
Swapped hard drive back, and all is well, but now Windows update installed Service Pack 1.
Imaged drive, and restored to new AFD drive, and Windows Updates till not work. Same error reported.
I think I need to start a separate thread? ...regarding Advance Format Drives. Clearly there is a problem bigger than me and my searching for fixes.
Meanwhile... how do I solve my problem. The restores only works on the old drive?