Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: msconfig Question


03 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
msconfig Question

When you go to run > msconfig > boot > advanced options and check the box of "number of processors (I have a dual core intel) and selected to two (it was greyed out before and set to one), then check the box next to it called "maximum memory" and select "4096", does this help boost performance of open Pandora's box for future problems?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I for one changed the settings in Vista (max memory and number of proc.) It didn't make a blind bit of difference. I seem to remember an article written by some MS guys saying that the 'tweak' was a hoax and to ignore it. To answer the second part of your question, i never run into any problems with the settings changed. I'd say leave them as default.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rsvr85 View Post
I for one changed the settings in Vista (max memory and number of proc.) It didn't make a blind bit of difference. I seem to remember an article written by some MS guys saying that the 'tweak' was a hoax and to ignore it. To answer the second part of your question, i never run into any problems with the settings changed. I'd say leave them as default.
Ok, thanks. Just thought it might allocate both cores for helping increase the boot time of windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Oct 2009   #4

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

all your cores are already enabled by default.

you only use this particular msconfig option if you want to disable cores, for troubleshooting reasons maybe...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
all your cores are already enabled by default.

you only use this particular msconfig option if you want to disable cores, for troubleshooting reasons maybe...
Ah right. Thanks for that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #6
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

You can 'tweak' some services following BlackViper's chart
Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Also, how many shortcuts are on your desktop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
You can 'tweak' some services following BlackViper's chart
Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Also, how many shortcuts are on your desktop?
About 24. Why?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

The more shortcuts you have on your desktop, the longer it takes to load up.

Try making a new folder for related shortcuts and drag the icons into the folder. Name the folder so you know what it contains.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
The more shortcuts you have on your desktop, the longer it takes to load up.

Try making a new folder for related shortcuts and drag the icons into the folder. Name the folder so you know what it contains.
Sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a go and see how speedy things are.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2009   #10
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

One big one for slowing things down during startup, the amount of things that load when Windows starts. How many things are under the Startup tab in msconfig?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 msconfig Question




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: msconfig Question
Thread Forum
MSConfig help please Performance & Maintenance
Solved msconfig question General Discussion
msconfig.exe Performance & Maintenance
msconfig in dos w/ win.ini Backup and Restore
msconfig start up tab question Performance & Maintenance
Msconfig and Windows 7 General Discussion
Msconfig Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33