Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to set individual HDD power options ?

12 Mar 2013   #1
Iona

windows 7 pro x64
 
 
How to set individual HDD power options ?

I want to set:
HDD 1 - never sleep
HDD 2 - never sleep
HDD 3 - sleep after 1h of inactivity
HDD 4 - sleep after 20mins of inactivity
HDD 5 - sleep after 20mins of inactivity

Any chance windows 7 can do it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Mar 2013   #2
indianacarnie

 

Welcome to the forums!

Are these internals or externals? If internal or usb powered externals they will go to sleep when your computer does. I must admit I don't really understand your question though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2013   #3
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iona View Post
I want to set:
HDD 1 - never sleep
HDD 2 - never sleep
HDD 3 - sleep after 1h of inactivity
HDD 4 - sleep after 20mins of inactivity
HDD 5 - sleep after 20mins of inactivity

Any chance windows 7 can do it?
Not to my knowledge - no. There is one global drive spin down setting in power management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Mar 2013   #4
Iona

windows 7 pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iona View Post
I want to set:
HDD 1 - never sleep
HDD 2 - never sleep
HDD 3 - sleep after 1h of inactivity
HDD 4 - sleep after 20mins of inactivity
HDD 5 - sleep after 20mins of inactivity

Any chance windows 7 can do it?
Not to my knowledge - no. There is one global drive spin down setting in power management.
Yeah i found just 1 global option for HDD sleep/spin down. Wonder if win 8 have it :P But i don't think it do. Maybe there will be some support for this in 10 years or never.
Typical lack of options from MS product worth billions of $$$.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #5
gregrocker

 

What reason is there for different HD's operating under the same OS to sleep at different times?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #6
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What reason is there for different HD's operating under the same OS to sleep at different times?
In my case, it would be to cut down on power consumption and wear and tear on drives that are rarely accessed. There is no point in spinning a drive that isn't going to be used. On the flip side, you don't want to have to keep spinning up a drive that is used frequently. In the machine I'm building, I would like to be able to keep the main HDD spinning at all times but idle the HDDs that I'm going to store videos on except when I need to access the drive to put a video on it or to watch one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #7
gregrocker

 

Can you use it as you want if you have the OS sleep with the HD's powered down? In other words, can you wake up the system as remotely as you might want to be to start a video?

You can try this with your current system by setting Sleep with no Hibernate, HD's to spin down just before sleep.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #8
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Can you use it as you want if you have the OS sleep with the HD's powered down? In other words, can you wake up the system as remotely as you might want to be to start a video?

You can try this with your current system by setting Sleep with no Hibernate, HD's to spin down just before sleep.
Besides not being sure I understand what you are saying, I wouldn't know how to do that (yet, since I'm hoping you will explain; just keep it simple for this computer challenged old lady).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #9
gregrocker

 

In Advanced Power Options you can set HD to Turn Off a few minutes before it sleeps, then set Sleep to a desired time out.

I was asking if it will wake up if you're maintaining a Home Theater setup where you want to access and play videos remotely. You'll have to test it to see. You can enable Wake timers to see if that helps.

If you don't need it to wake up remotely then it should be fine with all HD's sleeping with Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #10
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
In Advanced Power Options you can set HD to Turn Off a few minutes before it sleeps, then set Sleep to a desired time out.

I was asking if it will wake up if you're maintaining a Home Theater setup where you want to access and play videos remotely. You'll have to test it to see. You can enable Wake timers to see if that helps.

If you don't need it to wake up remotely then it should be fine with all HD's sleeping with Win7.
Ok, I don't see what advantage that would be while using the computer. I would need the main HDD (and, obviously, the boot drive although SDDs aren't exactly supposed to spin) spinning most of the time since I get on and off the computer frequently during the day (and frequently run processes at night while in bed) and the amount of time I spend there can vary just a minute or two to look up something to hours at a time. During the time the main HDD is spinning, the video storage HHDs don't need to be spinning unless actually watching a video, which would be a small percentage of the time the main HDD is a whirling dervish, and, even then, only one of the video drives needs to be spun up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to set individual HDD power options ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win 7 Power Options or HP Power Manager ??
Okay-I'm confused.And,I've been wondering about this since I bought this pc about 2 years ago ! I have a Compaq Presario (HP) CQ57-229WM Notebook PC that I bought from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and this machine seems to have TWO "power plans" on it ! Why ??? It has the HP Power Manager...
General Discussion
Power options
Monitor screen goes blank without warning even though I am actively using the computer. Computer seems to think I'm not being active enough. How do I stop this from happening? I've visited the following location in the computer: Control panel/Power options/Edit plan settings/Turn off the...
Performance & Maintenance
power options not available
Everything is grayed out under choose what closing the lid does. There is an option to change settings currently unavailable but when I click that it says access is denied. How do I change these settings. This is under the balanced plan and I am in the administrators account. Also under choose...
General Discussion
How to set Advanced options in Power Options (64 bit Ultimate)
I have an older Belkin F6C1500-TW-RK UPS and the mfg has not offered software management for the Win 7 64bit OS. I want to let Win 7 manage the battery and shutdown. I set the High Performance under Power Options to turn off display and put the computer to sleep after 3 minutes as a test. I yanked...
Performance & Maintenance
Power Options
Hello. How can I setup Windows 7 to turn off the Hard-Disks (after an idle time), but keep the boot Hard-Disk On? Thanks!
Performance & Maintenance
Power Options/Power plan settings?
From Windows 98SE/2000/XP SP3 I always set my power settings as always on/never shut down (hard drive always on) with the exception of turn off display after 10 mins. Both my PCs are on for about 16-20 hrs each day and I always shut them down manually every night. Now in Windows 7, I created a...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App