Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: SSDs and HDDs and defrag.

14 Mar 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
SSDs and HDDs and defrag.

OK. My SSD died, so I had to swap in a standard HDD while waiting for the new drive to arrive. I did a new install of the OS, and set up everything as if I had the SSD in the system.

I have three HDDs in the machine, and only one will be swapped to SSD in the near future, so I did not disable defrag, but I did turn it off on the temp HDD [A.K.A. "SSD", I figured I'd just have to do it myself before creating the image]

This morning, I went to do a defrag of the "SSD" and saw that it was done by the automation. [All drives were checked]

Once the REAL SSD is installed, I don't want to defrag it, but I do want my other drives to be taken care of.

Now, there is the slight chance I did mess up while disabling defrag on the "SSD", but it's a simple process, so I doubt it.

Advice on what to do to take care of my HDDs yet not defragging my SSD?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Mar 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

You should be able to uncheck (deselect) the SSD from defrag schedule. (See warning box.)

Disk Defragmenter Schedule- Turn On or Off
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
You should be able to uncheck (deselect) the SSD from defrag schedule. (See warning box.)

Disk Defragmenter Schedule- Turn On or Off
I did that, but somehow it got re-set. Has anybody else had that problem? [If not, then I probably messed up.]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Mar 2013   #4

Windows 7 64 BIT
 
 
Semi - Answer

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JoesMorgue View Post
OK. My SSD died, so I had to swap in a standard HDD while waiting for the new drive to arrive. I did a new install of the OS, and set up everything as if I had the SSD in the system.

I have three HDDs in the machine, and only one will be swapped to SSD in the near future, so I did not disable defrag, but I did turn it off on the temp HDD [A.K.A. "SSD", I figured I'd just have to do it myself before creating the image]

This morning, I went to do a defrag of the "SSD" and saw that it was done by the automation. [All drives were checked]

Once the REAL SSD is installed, I don't want to defrag it, but I do want my other drives to be taken care of.

Now, there is the slight chance I did mess up while disabling defrag on the "SSD", but it's a simple process, so I doubt it.

Advice on what to do to take care of my HDDs yet not defragging my SSD?
You can use this website as a reference
Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? : Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage

But when im gonna leave my job I have a more detailed website !
But this give good hint !
Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

If you replaced the SSD with a standard hard drive, Windows 7 will detect it as a normal hard drive and setup a defragmentation schedule. If you image that drive to your new SSD, it will detect the SSD and disable the defragmentation for the SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #6

Windows 7 64 BIT
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p1tcho0 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JoesMorgue View Post
OK. My SSD died, so I had to swap in a standard HDD while waiting for the new drive to arrive. I did a new install of the OS, and set up everything as if I had the SSD in the system.

I have three HDDs in the machine, and only one will be swapped to SSD in the near future, so I did not disable defrag, but I did turn it off on the temp HDD [A.K.A. "SSD", I figured I'd just have to do it myself before creating the image]

This morning, I went to do a defrag of the "SSD" and saw that it was done by the automation. [All drives were checked]

Once the REAL SSD is installed, I don't want to defrag it, but I do want my other drives to be taken care of.

Now, there is the slight chance I did mess up while disabling defrag on the "SSD", but it's a simple process, so I doubt it.

Advice on what to do to take care of my HDDs yet not defragging my SSD?
You can use this website as a reference
Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? : Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage

But when im gonna leave my job I have a more detailed website !
But this give good hint !
Good Luck
Im sorry i did not wrote my andwer correctly, if you look for new ssd in future..
Sorry I didnot answer rightly !!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p1tcho0 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p1tcho0 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JoesMorgue View Post
OK. My SSD died, so I had to swap in a standard HDD while waiting for the new drive to arrive. I did a new install of the OS, and set up everything as if I had the SSD in the system.

I have three HDDs in the machine, and only one will be swapped to SSD in the near future, so I did not disable defrag, but I did turn it off on the temp HDD [A.K.A. "SSD", I figured I'd just have to do it myself before creating the image]

This morning, I went to do a defrag of the "SSD" and saw that it was done by the automation. [All drives were checked]

Once the REAL SSD is installed, I don't want to defrag it, but I do want my other drives to be taken care of.

Now, there is the slight chance I did mess up while disabling defrag on the "SSD", but it's a simple process, so I doubt it.

Advice on what to do to take care of my HDDs yet not defragging my SSD?
You can use this website as a reference
Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? : Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage

But when im gonna leave my job I have a more detailed website !
But this give good hint !
Good Luck
Im sorry i did not wrote my andwer correctly, if you look for new ssd in future..
Sorry I didnot answer rightly !!!!!!
It appears that [again] I didn't explain myself properly My SSD died, I put in a HDD and installed 7, then sent my SSD in for a warranty replacement and am currently waiting for it to arrive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2013   #8

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Well Joe I would do a complete reinstall mate when you get it back the info for the defrag stop / start is in this
Optimize Windows 7[2]=Performance Maintenance < point 10 and I always use the tutorial by whs when I set up drives of any sort I know I shall get howled down but I like it anyway and it takes no time at all in any case.
SSD Alignment

Oh meant to mention theTRIM feature will keep the SSD clutter free too. Look at the info by Biil 2

Trim, SSD and Windows 7 - not necessary?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

What if the defrag process is taken care of by another program, say diskeeper 2011. When I tried dfrgui I was told it is being taken care of by another program * I assumed the diskeeper 2011*. Would it be enough to turn off defrag for the SSD in the diskeeper to keep the SSD from being defragged? Sorry for butting in, but I have a ssd on the way and I am going nuts over this defrag issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2013   #10

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
What if the defrag process is taken care of by another program, say diskeeper 2011. When I tried dfrgui I was told it is being taken care of by another program * I assumed the diskeeper 2011*. Would it be enough to turn off defrag for the SSD in the diskeeper to keep the SSD from being defragged? Sorry for butting in, but I have a ssd on the way and I am going nuts over this defrag issue.
Well Cranky I for oe do not like those add on apps that promise to do wonderful things like sweep the reg and get drivers up to date etc. Personally I would go with Brinks tutorial Disk Defragmenter Schedule- Turn On or Off

and if you want extra stuff to optimise the machine go this Optimize Windows 7[2]=Performance Maintenance < if you don't mind losing some of the "bling" like transparency.


Meant to mention too I always use this but a lot of the others don't think it is necessary SSD Alignment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSDs and HDDs and defrag.





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33