Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: How can I increase teh performance of my ssytem?

17 Apr 2013   #1

Win7 Premium 32bit
 
 
How can I increase teh performance of my ssytem?

While working in my computer, my system suddenly stopped working.. Earlier my D drive was not working.. but even after formatting the drive, my computer is not working. Can anyone help??

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2013   #2

 

I have a few questions. I doubt I'll be able to help much, but I think I can get the ball rolling:
  1. When you say you were working in your computer, you just mean doing your normal stuff in Windows right?
  2. When you say it suddenly stopped working, do you mean that it locked up? Did you get a blue screen? Or did it shut off on you?
  3. Is your D drive a hard drive or an optical drive?
  4. When you say your computer is not working, what do you mean exactly? Can you be specific?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2013   #3

Win7 Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I have a few questions. I doubt I'll be able to help much, but I think I can get the ball rolling:
  1. When you say you were working in your computer, you just mean doing your normal stuff in Windows right?
  2. When you say it suddenly stopped working, do you mean that it locked up? Did you get a blue screen? Or did it shut off on you?
  3. Is your D drive a hard drive or an optical drive?
  4. When you say your computer is not working, what do you mean exactly? Can you be specific?


Yes... I was doing my normal stuff.. It suddenly stopped working means.. it was not working. It got stuck. Clicking anywhere was simply useless. Its not blue screen. I think due to some virus attacks. I tried shutting down by my own. Even after restarting, it was not responding to any of my clicks.
My D drive is a hard drive. Actually I was getting problem with my D drive that "Cannot open". So, I formatted... But inspite of it, my computer is not responding.

I hope you can help me out now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2013   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ashleysimpson05 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I have a few questions. I doubt I'll be able to help much, but I think I can get the ball rolling:
  1. When you say you were working in your computer, you just mean doing your normal stuff in Windows right?
  2. When you say it suddenly stopped working, do you mean that it locked up? Did you get a blue screen? Or did it shut off on you?
  3. Is your D drive a hard drive or an optical drive?
  4. When you say your computer is not working, what do you mean exactly? Can you be specific?


Yes... I was doing my normal stuff.. It suddenly stopped working means.. it was not working. It got stuck. Clicking anywhere was simply useless. Its not blue screen. I think due to some virus attacks. I tried shutting down by my own. Even after restarting, it was not responding to any of my clicks.
My D drive is a hard drive. Actually I was getting problem with my D drive that "Cannot open". So, I formatted... But inspite of it, my computer is not responding.

I hope you can help me out now.
Thank you!

I am beginning to think that the D: drive may need to be taken out of the computer (but you can actually just unplug it and leave it in there). If you want to attempt this, then you will need to turn the computer off and then go behind the computer and turn the power supply off. After that, you'll be free to take the side panel off (the left side if you're facing the computer from the front). With the side panel off, you can unplug both the data and power cables from this hard drive and then leave it screwed into the case.

If you do this, then you would turn the computer back on to see if taking it out of the equation like this helps. If so, then it would probably become safe to assume that the hard drive died. However, you should do this before making that call.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2013   #5

Win7 Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ashleysimpson05 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I have a few questions. I doubt I'll be able to help much, but I think I can get the ball rolling:
  1. When you say you were working in your computer, you just mean doing your normal stuff in Windows right?
  2. When you say it suddenly stopped working, do you mean that it locked up? Did you get a blue screen? Or did it shut off on you?
  3. Is your D drive a hard drive or an optical drive?
  4. When you say your computer is not working, what do you mean exactly? Can you be specific?


Yes... I was doing my normal stuff.. It suddenly stopped working means.. it was not working. It got stuck. Clicking anywhere was simply useless. Its not blue screen. I think due to some virus attacks. I tried shutting down by my own. Even after restarting, it was not responding to any of my clicks.
My D drive is a hard drive. Actually I was getting problem with my D drive that "Cannot open". So, I formatted... But inspite of it, my computer is not responding.

I hope you can help me out now.
Thank you!

I am beginning to think that the D: drive may need to be taken out of the computer (but you can actually just unplug it and leave it in there). If you want to attempt this, then you will need to turn the computer off and then go behind the computer and turn the power supply off. After that, you'll be free to take the side panel off (the left side if you're facing the computer from the front). With the side panel off, you can unplug both the data and power cables from this hard drive and then leave it screwed into the case.

If you do this, then you would turn the computer back on to see if taking it out of the equation like this helps. If so, then it would probably become safe to assume that the hard drive died. However, you should do this before making that call.


Thankx I would surely do these steps.. Anyways thankyou very much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2013   #6

 

You're welcome!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2013   #7

windows 7 32 bit
 
 
these actions may help you

these actions may help you:

If the processor is maxed out, then you have a program or service that is loading down your

computer.



If the memory is maxed out, then you either have a program that is leaking (or gradually

comsuming) memory or you do not have enough memory to support your computing needs.



If your hard drive is too active, then its either; a slow/damaged drive (happens with older drives

over time); a fragmented (or disorganized file structured) drive; or malware that is reading/writing data

to your drive.



Also, make a checklist of the following:


1. Upgrade to a better video card

2. Address hardware and driver issues


3. Defrag your drives

4. Check network connectivity

5. Remove junk data
  1. Fix Registry Errors with Free Registry Cleaner
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2013   #8

microsoft window7 Ultimate x64
 
 

ashleysimpson05


First try starting your computer in safe mode.Start Windows, or if it is running, shut Windows down, and then turn off the computer.
Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).when BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key. Continue do until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

If you successfully boot into safe mode, try system restore to restore your computer when before the problem began. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #9

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

System Restore does not restore the computer system; instead, it restores the Operating System -- which would likely have nothing to do with a drive performing very slowly.

My guess is that you have a failing hard drive. You need to go to the drive manufacturers website and see if they have a test utility you can download and run against the drive -- most of them do. That will tell you if the drive is experiencing a high number of errors -- and is, thus, failing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box (64-bit installed) + Service Pack 1
 
 

OP, so you can boot into Windows 7, just nothing clicks? You using a mouse, or?

The Desktop itself looks normal?

The cursor moves?

If not, is this a wireless mouse with a dead battery, perhaps?

Is that D: drive the only partition on a second hard drive? Was the virtual memory pointing to that D:? Was hibernate using D:, were temp files pointing at D:? You get the point.....

If the D: was the only partition on that drive, have you re-done the connections to it, and is it seen correctly in the BIOS?

Sometimes you have to look in the BIOS, windows can't cope, if the Basic Input/Output System can't even deal with it.


+OP you asked the wrong question in the first place, increasing performance? You meant FIX.

Also, OP are you troubleshooting XP here? [per other thread you started] Head to an XP forum if that is the case please, this will just confuse everyone, and might explain why you are lacking on details?

There are other forums on the internet!!!!!!!!!!! Promise!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How can I increase teh performance of my ssytem?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How can I increase teh performance of my ssytem?
Thread Forum
increase PC Performance Performance & Maintenance
Any idea on how to increase my PC performance Performance & Maintenance
Increase RAM performance ? Performance & Maintenance
4 GB to 8 GB RAM. Where's the performance increase? Hardware & Devices
performance increase Performance & Maintenance
How can i increase graphic performance of my pc Graphic Cards
Does Silverlight increase GPU performance? Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33