Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free RAM

17 May 2013   #41
fezbombmatt

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Well just for starters, under MSCONFIG the maximum memory is not ticked. And i have BIOS settings all auto. What else can cause unusable RAM


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 May 2013   #42
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
Along side that, as my memory on this PC seems to go to 0 free sometimes. I assume that this will increase the amount of Page Filing too. While the PC feels quick still atm. Would i be recommended to install some extra RAM? Or wouldnt it matter.
Most of the time, the extra RAM would not matter.

If you ever get into creating/using Virtual Machines, then more more RAM the merrier.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #43
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
Please dont make me read that.....
Then electronically search for this section...
32-bit Client Effective Memory Limits

...and stop reading when you get to this section:
Do You Have Enough Memory?

:-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2013   #44
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
Well just for starters, under MSCONFIG the maximum memory is not ticked. And i have BIOS settings all auto. What else can cause unusable RAM
I really cannot explain it better than Mark R. does in that article that I linked to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #45
fezbombmatt

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Im unsure what you have said. I search for that and it brings me to the same article as you showed me..

I am using 64-bit OS btw.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #46
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Sorry that I was not clear.

I did not mean for you to search the web (find on web)...
...I meant for you to search that one article (find on page).

Visit the long article
Press Ctrl-F
Copy/paste 32-bit Client Effective Memory Limits into the search field
Hit enter

That should take you to the section to read - so that you do not have to read it all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #47
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
I have just noticed something in the Resource Monitor that you told me to open, on my works PC which has just 4GB RAM.

I have just a total of 800MB free after waiting for boot to finish. However i have Hardware Reserved using 324MB.

And if i right click Computer select Properties and look at my RAM, it shows 4.00GB (3.68GB Usable).

All my other PC's i built have never said a usable amount. Is that something wrong?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
Im unsure what you have said. I search for that and it brings me to the same article as you showed me..

I am using 64-bit OS btw.
So - when you say, "I am using 64-bit OS btw." Are you talking about the computer at work or the one at your home.

Please use this info to post a screenshot of the computer from work that shows at least the top two windows like this:

Free RAM-ram.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #48
fezbombmatt

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Both. However i was reporting this issue on my works PC alone, which is 64-bit and has 4GB RAM installed.

Sorry il have a read of that article soon when i get time.

Is this the picture you requried?


Attached Thumbnails
Free RAM-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #49
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

I understand about needing time to read that section of the article.

Look at the screenshot that I posted. In the upper right corner is a shot of the computer properties. Can you please post that? Basically, I wanted to see what you are seeing when you wrote this: And if i right click Computer select Properties and look at my RAM, it shows 4.00GB (3.68GB Usable).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #50
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
Both. However i was reporting this issue on my works PC alone, which is 64-bit and has 4GB RAM installed.

Sorry il have a read of that article soon when i get time.

Is this the picture you requried?
I don't see a problem here. Half of your RAM is available RAM, so you are in good shape. The 'In Use' is a bit high but that could be because of the programs you have running. The Hardware Reserved could be your on-board graphics or some other device that needs some real RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Free RAM




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is registering Avast! Free Antivirus free?
I downloaded Avast because it was free. It says that I have to register to Avast! Free Anti-virus. I thought this program was free? Or is registering for free?
System Security
Avast 7 free! AV + Comodo Free Firewall Conflicts
I have always used Avast and Comodo as my AV/Firewall combination. I find it to be very useful, and although Comodo provides many annoying popups, they are useful and informational (I would consider myself a competent computer user, though no expert). Recently, I just wanted to see how good my...
System Security
Need advice for free antivirus+free firewall combo
I was thinking of the free ZoneAlarm firewall+free Avast! Antivirus combination. What do you think? Any better choice? Thanks.
System Security
Free Win 7 with Product Key By Attend free launch event
Looking for free copy of Windows 7? Now is your chance to take home a copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional edition, complete with genuine valid product key to activate the operating system permanently. Microsoft is hosting many of The New Efficiency launch events for Windows 7, Windows Server...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App