Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Won't wake from sleep and fans on full - needs to be shutdown

30 Jun 2013   #1
Tigermama

win 7 64 bit home premium
 
 
Won't wake from sleep and fans on full - needs to be shutdown

Hi I am a fairly capable person, fairly confident on my computer but don't always know all the jargon and abbreviations you guys use, so please bear with me.

I just had to do a clean system install as my computer was running slow and nothing else helped. It is running lovely in general now except that an old symptom from way back that I had solved (and cannot remember how) has returned.
When the computer powers down to save energy (if I walk away) usually I click the mouse and it wakes, but now it won't wake and the fans come on fully and they just don't stop until I press the power button to shut it down. Then when I start it up again it acts normal, no error message etc. Today it also seemed to shut itself down when I went out for a while and had left it on a dell diagnostic thing on the dell support website (that bore no fruit, didn't seem to do anything).

I wish for the life of me that I could remember what 'fixed' this before but it was a few years ago and being a mother of a small child I only have half a brain for remembering these things.

ETA it regularly now shuts itself down when left to sleep for a while, never had that before?

I really hope someone can help?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jul 2013   #2
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tigermama View Post
Hi I am a fairly capable person, fairly confident on my computer but don't always know all the jargon and abbreviations you guys use, so please bear with me.

I just had to do a clean system install as my computer was running slow and nothing else helped. It is running lovely in general now except that an old symptom from way back that I had solved (and cannot remember how) has returned.
When the computer powers down to save energy (if I walk away) usually I click the mouse and it wakes, but now it won't wake and the fans come on fully and they just don't stop until I press the power button to shut it down. Then when I start it up again it acts normal, no error message etc. Today it also seemed to shut itself down when I went out for a while and had left it on a dell diagnostic thing on the dell support website (that bore no fruit, didn't seem to do anything).

I wish for the life of me that I could remember what 'fixed' this before but it was a few years ago and being a mother of a small child I only have half a brain for remembering these things.

ETA it regularly now shuts itself down when left to sleep for a while, never had that before?

I really hope someone can help?
Hi Tigermama,

Welcome to Seven forums.

Please make sure that mouse is allowed to wakeup the system from the sleep mode. Check this link below which would help you:

Devices - Allow or Prevent to Wake Up Computer

Also, let us know the model number of the system you have so we can provide further assistance.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2013   #3
Tigermama

win 7 64 bit home premium
 
 

Thanks for responding, I am on win 7 64 bit. Checked the mouse and it is set to allow to wake from sleep.

Sometimes I can walk away and come back shake the mouse and it wakes, sometimes I come back and the whole thing has shut down - then when I wake it it acts like nothing happened (no error messages), sometimes I come back and I shake the mouse or tap a keyboard key, and all the fans come on and won't stop, blank screen. I shut down then after a few moments start up and sometimes it 'resumes windows', and sometimes the mouse and keyboard light up but the display won't come on, I can turn the display off and back on again and still nothing, then at some point it comes back after a few more on-and-off's. So sometimes it feels like the computer has started up fine but the monitor hasn't, but I don't see how that causes the fans blaring on the times it won't wake at all?

The computer is set to the default 'Balanced' power settings.

It is so frustrating because I know this happened a few years ago and I did somehow find the solution, but now it has returned after a clean system install I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I can say that whenever I have updated the ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 driver package from the official website and it included catalyst control center, it used to cause all sorts of problems until I unstallled CCC and just kept the basics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jul 2013   #4
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tigermama View Post
Thanks for responding, I am on win 7 64 bit. Checked the mouse and it is set to allow to wake from sleep.

Sometimes I can walk away and come back shake the mouse and it wakes, sometimes I come back and the whole thing has shut down - then when I wake it it acts like nothing happened (no error messages), sometimes I come back and I shake the mouse or tap a keyboard key, and all the fans come on and won't stop, blank screen. I shut down then after a few moments start up and sometimes it 'resumes windows', and sometimes the mouse and keyboard light up but the display won't come on, I can turn the display off and back on again and still nothing, then at some point it comes back after a few more on-and-off's. So sometimes it feels like the computer has started up fine but the monitor hasn't, but I don't see how that causes the fans blaring on the times it won't wake at all?

The computer is set to the default 'Balanced' power settings.

It is so frustrating because I know this happened a few years ago and I did somehow find the solution, but now it has returned after a clean system install I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I can say that whenever I have updated the ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 driver package from the official website and it included catalyst control center, it used to cause all sorts of problems until I unstallled CCC and just kept the basics.
Hi Tigermama,

Thanks for providing us this information. Kindly update the BIOS and video drivers from the link below:

BIOS

http://downloads.dell.com/bios/530_1018.EXE

ATI Video Card

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w-vista64.aspx

Please update it and let us know the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2013   #5
Tigermama

win 7 64 bit home premium
 
 

Thanks for the advice, I thought I had got the latest AMD driver but this was more recent
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w-vista64.aspx

I am VERY reluctant to update the BIOS as when I first got this machine my brother recommended the same and when I updated to that version I had TERRIBLE problems (can't remember specifically). It took ages trawling through forums for us to find a way to uninstall and revert back to original version and the horribleness stopped so please don't think me ungrateful if I decline that suggestion.

Having now been explained what hibernation is I realise that the 'shutting down' that was happening on it's own was hibernation because as I started it back up again it would 'resume' windows and be back where I left off. That fact that it was hibernating is still weird because I had the power settings on default 'balanced' and it never used to do it before the clean install on same default settings. I have now adjusted them slightly put computer to sleep & turn off display to one hour each just so it doesn't happen quite so often. Hubby thinks that the whirring fans and black screen seems to happen when we actively put the computer to sleep rather than let it power down itself, but i can't be sure of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2013   #6
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tigermama View Post
Thanks for the advice, I thought I had got the latest AMD driver but this was more recent
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w-vista64.aspx

I am VERY reluctant to update the BIOS as when I first got this machine my brother recommended the same and when I updated to that version I had TERRIBLE problems (can't remember specifically). It took ages trawling through forums for us to find a way to uninstall and revert back to original version and the horribleness stopped so please don't think me ungrateful if I decline that suggestion.

Having now been explained what hibernation is I realise that the 'shutting down' that was happening on it's own was hibernation because as I started it back up again it would 'resume' windows and be back where I left off. That fact that it was hibernating is still weird because I had the power settings on default 'balanced' and it never used to do it before the clean install on same default settings. I have now adjusted them slightly put computer to sleep & turn off display to one hour each just so it doesn't happen quite so often. Hubby thinks that the whirring fans and black screen seems to happen when we actively put the computer to sleep rather than let it power down itself, but i can't be sure of that.
Hi Tigermama,

Thanks for your reply. I understand you have the latest video drivers and you don't wish to update the BIOS of the system.

You are correct as Hibernation would save all the files on RAM to the harddrive and shut down the system. And once you press the power button it would switch on the system and resume to the working state.

Whereas in sleep system would go in power saving mode and will supply power to only essential components of the system.

Check the below link which would explain in detail:

Hibernation vs Sleep?

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2013   #7
Tigermama

win 7 64 bit home premium
 
 

Hi there, the fact that it is hibernating has cleared up my confusion about it appearing to shut down, but I do still have this issue of it regularly not wanting to wake from hibernation / sleep, that when I click the mouse the screen doesn't wake and the fans whir up loudly and will not stop until I push and hold the power button which puts it back into hibernation again and I have to click it again to wake up, this is the main problem that bothers me.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2013   #8
Faladu

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box (64-bit installed) + Service Pack 1
 
 

To try life without hybernating, get into an Admin elevated command prompt and just:

powercfg -h off

That's it, gone!

powercfg -h on

If you want it back.

I don't use it myself.

Fans on FULL sounds like straining the hardware when it's coming back alive, I'd just shutdown system completely if you are going to not be using for a while.

Adjust your power plans perhaps, otherwise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2013   #9
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tigermama View Post
Hi there, the fact that it is hibernating has cleared up my confusion about it appearing to shut down, but I do still have this issue of it regularly not wanting to wake from hibernation / sleep, that when I click the mouse the screen doesn't wake and the fans whir up loudly and will not stop until I push and hold the power button which puts it back into hibernation again and I have to click it again to wake up, this is the main problem that bothers me.

Thanks
Hi Tigermama,

System would not wake up with Mouse if it has been put to hibernation. As in hibernation system gets shut down and can only be powered on using the power button.

As suggested by Faladu: disable the hibernation and then check if system comes back normally from the sleep mode or not.

Kindly check this and let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2013   #10
Tigermama

win 7 64 bit home premium
 
 

Thanks to both of you, I have done the cmd prompt and will wait to see if it changes anything, and let you know, thanks for your help guys
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Won't wake from sleep and fans on full - needs to be shutdown




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop extremely slow to wake up from sleep mode, 5+ minutes to wake
Hi, I am new here. Hoping someone can help me out with this issue. I work in IT so am not a complete computer bonehead and am at my wits end with this. My laptop is about 4 years old, it's a toshiba. For whatever reason, it started taking 5+ minutes to wake up from sleeping. If it sleeps...
Performance & Maintenance
one or more fans running at full throttle when locked
Just as the title states; why is one or more of my computer's fans going to full throttle and staying there the moment i do a windows sign plus l to lock the computer? once i enter the password to unlock it; it goes back to normal. What can anyone out there make of this?
Hardware & Devices
[URGENT ] [HELP NEEDED] Computer turning off FANS full speed
Hey there, i changed my computer case about 3 days ago, all went well, only a few minor issues that were fixed, PC was running fine all day today, went out then when i came back turned it on and all is fine, after about an hour i decided to start a game (League of legends) all was fine until the...
General Discussion
Fans running full speed
Hi Switched on the pc this morning Fans running at full speed ... switched off and restarted two or three times with the same effect. Looking inside the pc the cpu was clean and virtually free of dust and connections were fine.I started the pc again and ran pc wizard to check temperatures (quad...
Hardware & Devices
No Wake From Sleep BlockedI have an issue with the sleep function. T
I have an issue with the sleep function. The computer does not awake from sleep. When I try to do it, it behaves as if it was waking, but it never ends and there is only a black screen; the mouse and keyboard are inoperative. The only thing possible to do is a hard reboot. When it boots, it shows a...
BSOD Help and Support
Case Fans Continue To Run After Shutdown
I'm having a problem with one of my old computers and was wondering if anyone could take a guess as what could be causing it. This computer ran XP and several early builds of Windows 7 and Windows 7 home premium all smoothly but for the last few weeks the case fans will just keep running after...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App