Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Prefetch and SSDs

09 Aug 2011   #81
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
It won't matter by then. We'll all have computers in our brain and SSDs will be the size of a postage stamp.
It won't matter to me because I will prob be in a nursing home being spoon fed


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Aug 2011   #82
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
It won't matter by then. We'll all have computers in our brain and SSDs will be the size of a postage stamp.
It won't matter to me because I will prob be in a nursing home being spoon fed
By a nurse with an SSD for a brain. You'll get through that meal quick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2011   #83
Cableaddict

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
This is good information to know! I'm surprised superfetch is disabled tho, it seems even with the rocking speeds of SSD's, RAM speeds still destroy them when it comes to transfer rates, especially due to the SATA 2 controller limits. I guess maybe it's a minuscule gain and not worth letting your system worry about it? I dunno..
My understanding is as Geneo posted, earlier: Win7 monitors your boot drive, and only automatically disables SuperFetch (and Prefetcher???) if it decides your SSD is fast enough. That must mean that some are too slow.

As a reference: I am using generation 2 Intel SSD's (with the latest firmware) and if I disable Superfetch, my OS & apps boot times slow down dramatically. I'm about to switch to an OCZ RevoDrive, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Anyway, I really don't see any great need to disable these manually, what's the big deal? A 4 year lifespan instead of 5 years?

-but I also admit to being kind of confused on this. (g)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Nov 2011   #84
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Cableaddict

I have the same on my Intel 320. Superfetch on is faster with some software. So I left mine on.
On a 120GB as this one is there is plenty of space for it so why not.

It seems on the newer drives you try it both ways for your SSD and set up and which ever works best that is the way to go.

My 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #85
rseiler

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Although it may have been answered here, I didn't see it: how does W7 react to a system that has a spinning data drive in addition to an SSD system disk? If it determines that the SSD is fast enough to disable the various features mentioned above, are they still enabled for the mechanical drive? Or does it not disable anything if it sees a mechanical drive regardless of SSD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #86
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I do not understand this discussion regarding Superfetch. Why would anybody want to disable that. RAM is still a lot faster than any SSD and a nice pack of cached stuff enhances performance.

Am I missing something. Please enlighten me.

PS: The argument of extra write operations to the SSD does not count. That is a phony argument. SSDs do not wear out as long as you care to keep it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #87
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I do not understand this discussion regarding Superfetch. Why would anybody want to disable that. RAM is still a lot faster than any SSD and a nice pack of cached stuff enhances performance.

Am I missing something. Please enlighten me.

PS: The argument of extra write operations to the SSD does not count. That is a phony argument. SSDs do not wear out as long as you care to keep it.

+1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #88
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rseiler View Post
Although it may have been answered here, I didn't see it: how does W7 react to a system that has a spinning data drive in addition to an SSD system disk? If it determines that the SSD is fast enough to disable the various features mentioned above, are they still enabled for the mechanical drive? Or does it not disable anything if it sees a mechanical drive regardless of SSD?

Please start a new thread. Then state a question concerning your inquiry.

There are nine pages in this thread so I have no remembrance of all that was covered.

Thank you.
Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #89
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Good idea Mike. Will do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #90
rseiler

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Please start a new thread. Then state a question concerning your inquiry.

There are nine pages in this thread so I have no remembrance of all that was covered.

Thank you.
Mike
OK, though I thought here was appropriate because the thread had recent posts and my question is exactly aligned with the content of the thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Prefetch and SSDs




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
why is my C:\Windows\Prefetch empty?
Hi i run w7 ultimate 64bit and my C:\Windows\Prefetch is empty i used total commander to see hidden folder and file , empty I enable Show hidden files, folders and drives and system file is empty again
General Discussion
Restore deleted Prefetch?
Hope it's ok to start a new post 'cuz the others concerning PF are about a year old. A friend who knows more about computers than I do was here a few days ago & I happened to ask about a little problem that was bugging me. He went through several things trying to find a solution & ended up...
Performance & Maintenance
prefetch folder
hi.i have WIN 7 64bit. i just get the attention from tune up program that some files in the prefetch folder is deleted by me or a program. idon't know if it is dangerous? if yes please tell me what should i do for repairing.THX!!
Performance & Maintenance
How to relocate prefetch location?
Greetings to all experts, still noob here. Anyone knows how to move the prefetch location on Windows 7 from C:\Windows\prefetch to another location or drive? I'm thinking to relocate all write activity from C: to the ramdisk. So far I only found the prefetch, temp and installed application that...
Performance & Maintenance
question about prefetch
hi i have a question about prefetch well xp , after booting and after 1 or 2 minutes ,create the file NTOSBOOT-*.pf and after with this file and others optimaze the boot and the programs that start up about w7 , i did notice that after some time of idle , w7 start to work and edit these...
Performance & Maintenance
Prefetch? On, Or Off?
Prefetch? On, Or Off? Dumb Question.. Is It Best To Have Prefetch Service On? Or Off? Does It Make Any Difference In Speed? Thanks
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App