Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WD Caviar Black HDD not performing right

23 Aug 2013   #11
fezbombmatt

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

I guess its just me then. Ive tried a new cable and nothing.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Aug 2013   #12
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redfang337 View Post
Also, WD HDD's tend to crash alot, youre better off with a company like Toshiba or Seagate, look up reviews about a harddrive you might want, make sure it doesn't have a history of crashing
Horse Pucky! WD does not have a higher failure rate than any of the major HHD manufacturers. You may see more posts about WD...becuse there are more WD drives being used. Most HHD problems come back to the user, user runs high temps, poor computer practices, and under powered PSU's causing pending sector counts or other problems.

Out of the nine current HHD's I have running, five are WD. I have a very old 40gb WD that still runs at perfect health.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #13
Stephanie

Win 7 Pro x64, Win 10 Pro x64, Linux Light x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
...In short Caviar Blacks are very noisy drives.
Whatever you do, don't tell my Blacks. Apparently, they didn't get the memo.


I have 2 x 500gb Caviar Blacks in another rig for over a year now - no crashes or problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Aug 2013   #14
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
When you say test in another PC will it be fine to just plug in as another drive for access then test copying to and from or actually boot from it?
Yes, you can test the HD in another PC as long as you have an available Sata data and power connection available.
It doesn't have to be the "Boot/OS" drive, just connect it as another disk drive and test it with HD Tune.

With a min transfer rate of 1.6 MB/sec, something is wrong imho.
I find it hard to believe you would get 3 hard drives with the same problem, so testing in another PC would eliminate your current OS/Software as the cause of this problem (if it is a hardware problem).

Compare your screen print in post#1 to what you see on HD Tune website for the Blue Transfer Rate data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #15
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
...In short Caviar Blacks are very noisy drives.
Whatever you do, don't tell my Blacks. Apparently, they didn't get the memo.


I have 2 x 500gb Caviar Blacks in another rig for over a year now - no crashes or problems
I have a 2TB Black and a 2TB Green in both of my rigs and they're absolutely fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2013   #16
fezbombmatt

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
When you say test in another PC will it be fine to just plug in as another drive for access then test copying to and from or actually boot from it?
Yes, you can test the HD in another PC as long as you have an available Sata data and power connection available.
It doesn't have to be the "Boot/OS" drive, just connect it as another disk drive and test it with HD Tune.

With a min transfer rate of 1.6 MB/sec, something is wrong imho.
I find it hard to believe you would get 3 hard drives with the same problem, so testing in another PC would eliminate your current OS/Software as the cause of this problem (if it is a hardware problem).

Compare your screen print in post#1 to what you see on HD Tune website for the Blue Transfer Rate data.
Il do this then and get back to you. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2013   #17
fezbombmatt

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

I wont be able to test the HDD until Saturday.

Any chance my RAM could cause HDD issues? I wouldnt know ive never had a faulty RAM stick as of yet. And testing RAM properly takes a bloody while.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2013   #18
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redfang337 View Post
Also, WD HDD's tend to crash alot, youre better off with a company like Toshiba or Seagate, look up reviews about a harddrive you might want, make sure it doesn't have a history of crashing
Well I gotta say I don't know where this comes from. I have been running many WD drivers for over a decade and they don't "crash".

The black drives are kind of loud - they are meant for performance. I have older ones that support AAM and run mine in lower acoustic mode where they are pretty quiet. This impacts the access tim though as the heads position more slowly to reduce noise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2013   #19
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fezbombmatt View Post
I wont be able to test the HDD until Saturday.

Any chance my RAM could cause HDD issues? I wouldnt know ive never had a faulty RAM stick as of yet. And testing RAM properly takes a bloody while.
Doubt it would affect hard drive performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2013   #20
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

You can boot Windows in Safe Mode and run HD Tune to see if that makes a difference.
Testing in Safe Mode could eliminate a lot of your "Software/configuration" as the cause of a transfer rate issue.
It's something you can test, without waiting to attach the HD to a different PC for testing.
Use Option ONE in Safe Mode
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WD Caviar Black HDD not performing right




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SATA 6 WD Caviar Black 1TB
Anyone playing with the new Western Digital SATA 6 Caviar Black HD (64meg Cache)??? I bought one the other day loaded Windows on it and it thrashes like crazy. My older SATA Blacks (32meg) are quiet as church mice. I read somewhere that this might be normal??? I find that hard to believe but......
Hardware & Devices
Can't format WD Caviar Black HD
Looked around on the net for an answer to my problem and I've found some related threads here, among others this one: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/228790-original-hard-drive-not-seen-cant-format.html This all started when I was trying to get my HP Storageworks X310 to work again,...
Hardware & Devices
WD caviar black 32 or 64 MB cache
deleted please dont mind this, silly me
Chillout Room
WD Caviar Black problem
So, I picked up two 2TB drives today. One works, the other one half works. The external works just fine. The internal, which is a Caviar Black, is recognized by BIOS just fine, and I can see it in the Device Manger, but not Explorer. In the attachment it shows: My primary SSD:...
Hardware & Devices
WD Caviar Black noisy?
I purchased two WD Caviar Black drives a few months ago, at the time I had a 32-Bit version of Windows 7 (7100) installed, and the machine was quieter than quiet. Since installing my 64-Bit RTM it seems like the drives "clicks" at lot now when it is "working" ... what could cause that? I know...
Hardware & Devices
WD Caviar Black 1TB Slow?
Hello! I've just installed a new computer and I don't know if my Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA Hard Drive ( WD1001FALS) is slow or not. Are there any drivers or updates for the disk?
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App