Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 6 gigs of ram but only 3.25 usable

24 Oct 2009   #1
fox7seven

windos 7 pro.
 
 
6 gigs of ram but only 3.25 usable

Hello every one. Just another windows 7 user here. I updated my XP 32 OS to windows 7 64 bit professional. Everything works fine on this upgrade. BUT when i go >start>mycmputer>right click and select properties i see 6 gigs but only 3.25 GB usable. Any way i can use the rest of those gigs. When i bought windows 7 two days ago i bought 2 stick of ram with 2 gigs each stick. so i have (2) 1 gig stick and (2) 2 gig sticks.

Like i sed my PC (Alienware was built in Dic2005) originally was made with 32 OS xp if someone can guide me on how to get my info of my mother board I will be glad to follows those steps so i can post them here and hopefully gets some help. If not I just will return the extra gigs I bought.

PS- I reinstall windows 7 from scratched but with OS 32 bit and I could see the same 6 gigs but only 3.25 gigs usable.


Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Oct 2009   #2
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #3
najaboy

Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fox7seven View Post
Hello every one. Just another windows 7 user here. I updated my XP 32 OS to windows 7 64 bit professional. Everything works fine on this upgrade. BUT when i go >start>mycmputer>right click and select properties i see 6 gigs but only 3.25 GB usable. Any way i can use the rest of those gigs. When i bought windows 7 two days ago i bought 2 stick of ram with 2 gigs each stick. so i have (2) 1 gig stick and (2) 2 gig sticks.

Like i sed my PC (Alienware was built in Dic2005) originally was made with 32 OS xp if someone can guide me on how to get my info of my mother board I will be glad to follows those steps so i can post them here and hopefully gets some help. If not I just will return the extra gigs I bought.

PS- I reinstall windows 7 from scratched but with OS 32 bit and I could see the same 6 gigs but only 3.25 gigs usable.


Thanks!
Need more info to go on. It could very well be that your mobo can only handle 4 GB. Looking at the support info for your patrticular computer on Alienware's site might also give you the answer you seek.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Oct 2009   #4
Tiffer

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

My thoughts are that this may be a BIOS issue. I had a similar problem when I upgraded my RAM memory to 4Gb.

Look in your BIOS for a "Memory Remap Feature" which will probably be disabled. Enable this and Windows should see and be able to access all avaiable memory.

The downside is that you may need to reinstall Windows 7 64bit for this to work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #5
b00st3d

Windows 7 RTM
 
 

windows 7 32bit will only read up to 3.xx gbs of ram anyway. sounds like a possible bios issue. get into your bios and see how many gbs bios sees. it may be something as simple as performing a bios upgrade if it only sees 4gbs for it to see the full 6gbs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by b00st3d View Post
windows 7 32bit will only read up to 3.xx gbs of ram anyway. sounds like a possible bios issue. get into your bios and see how many gbs bios sees. it may be something as simple as performing a bios upgrade if it only sees 4gbs for it to see the full 6gbs.

OP is 64bit

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #7
raznal

seven
 
 

I have the same doubt!!!!!!

4gb of ram but only 2.5gb available!!





is this normal or a bad configuration??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #8
Everlong

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by raznal View Post
I have the same doubt!!!!!!

4gb of ram but only 2.5gb available!!





is this normal or a bad configuration??
Are you referring to where it says "Total", "En Cache" and "Disponible"?

You're task manager is reporting your RAM correctly. You have 4GB available. 2.5GB is being cached with SuperFetch (which is what Windows 7 does), and you have 2.5GB RAM available to use. The 42MB of RAM you have free is the amount not being used by SuperFetch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #9
greetification

Windows 7
 
 

I had the same problem except I only had 4 GB of RAM installed.

To fix it, I had to enabled the following in my BIOS:
S/W Memory Hole Mapping
H/W Memory Hole Mapping

Hope it helps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 6 gigs of ram but only 3.25 usable




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
HD has 68 Gigs free, yet only shows 45 gigs
Hello. The C drive in my computer is 139 GB (150 GB hard drive). Windows shows that there is 45.5 GB free, but if I select the contents of the drive and check the properties, it says that everything on the drive is taking up 70.8 GB on the disk. But in doing the math (139-70.8 = 68.2) it looks...
Performance & Maintenance
Where Are All My Gigs?
Strange,I check almost every Folder, But I cannot find all those missing Gigs, even have System Restore Turn off to make sure.......See Screenshots No System .iso made for Adv. Recovery,see Screenshots. http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8895/gigsr.jpg ...
General Discussion
8 gigs total (3.99 RAM usable)?
I've read a lot of forum post about the same problem. I recently purchased Windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of all 8 gigs of RAM that I currently have in my PC that I just built. When I went to check up on my PC stats, it says 8 gigs installed (3.99 usable). I don't know if this a bug or not...
Hardware & Devices
only 2.5 gigs ram in 64 bit?
Hey Guys, I was going to buy Windows 7 anyway, so i decided to get 64bit so i could use all of the ram on my computer (4gigs, plus my SLi video cards have 500mb or 1gig each, can't remember) Since vista 32bit could only use 3.5 gigs but now to my dismay it seems like i can still only use 2.5...
General Discussion
32 vs 64? Only 2 gigs ram :-(
Have both win7 beta 1 distros - 32 & 64. 3+ year old laptop. amd 64 2.2 gig, dual core. 2 gigs ram - machine maxes out at 2 :-( 4 gig readyboost flash stick - if that matters.... Will 64 be worth installing?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App