Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: system files keep getting corrupted

27 Dec 2013   #1
lordSnake

windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 
system files keep getting corrupted

I kept having issues with programs crashing (especially google chrome) and did an sfc/scan now and found a bunch of corrupt files which could not be fixed as the master copies were also corrupt.

I have reinstalled windows 3 times now, and the problem just keeps occurring, within days there are corrupt files which cannot be repaired.
Even if I restore system backups from when the system was fine, the corrupt files still exist afterwards.

I have used a Kaspersky rescue disk to scan my system and all drives, and not found any malware anywhere.
This feels like a corrupt disk, but I have test my disc (OCZ Agility 3 SSD) using various tools and found no errors.

anyone else got any ideas ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2013   #2
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Sounds like something possibly in the mbr(master boot record) for windows got corrupted which may be the reason even after re installing windows, you are getting those errors. You might have to totally wipe it clean by doing a complete format of the drive and THEN re install windows again; at that point hopefully everything should be good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2013   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lordSnake View Post
Even if I restore system backups from when the system was fine, the corrupt files still exist afterwards.
Are you really talking about an image backup? An image backup is a full backup of a disk volume. When you restore it ..... it is in same state as it was on the moment you made the backup.

Are you 100% sure that:
  • All was fine at time of backup
  • You have corrupt files just after restoring (and no windows update afterwards)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2013   #4
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Sounds like something possibly in the mbr(master boot record) for windows got corrupted which may be the reason even after re installing windows, you are getting those errors. You might have to totally wipe it clean by doing a complete format of the drive and THEN re install windows again; at that point hopefully everything should be good.
@matts6887: MBR is the partition table, disk signature and Master Boot Code. Partition table is fine... machine can see partitions and they are working. disk sinature is for uniquely identifying system.... works as well. Master Boot Code is also in sector0 of physical disk. It has instructions to find an active partition and run the bootsector of that partition (that runs the bootmgr). You really think the Master Boot Code is faulty?

To rewrite MBR Bootcode of physical drive where volume C is:
Code:
bootsect/nt60  c:  /force  /mbr

To rewrite disk C bootsector.
Code:
bootsect/nt60  c:  /force
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2013   #5
lordSnake

windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

I have deleted all partitions and formatted and started completely from scratch.
I did a chkdsk and a sfc/scannow prior to doing a backup, and no errors were reported.
I have also used system restore to go back to previous state with no corruption, and that also fails.

If it is not the disk then the only other thing I can think of is that some windows updates are causing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2013   #6
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Sounds like something possibly in the mbr(master boot record) for windows got corrupted which may be the reason even after re installing windows, you are getting those errors. You might have to totally wipe it clean by doing a complete format of the drive and THEN re install windows again; at that point hopefully everything should be good.
@matts6887: MBR is the partition table, disk signature and Master Boot Code. Partition table is fine... machine can see partitions and they are working. disk sinature is for uniquely identifying system.... works as well. Master Boot Code is also in sector0 of physical disk. It has instructions to find an active partition and run the bootsector of that partition (that runs the bootmgr). You really think the Master Boot Code is faulty?

To rewrite MBR Bootcode of physical drive where volume C is:
Code:
bootsect/nt60  c:  /force  /mbr
To rewrite disk C bootsector.
Code:
bootsect/nt60  c:  /force
Doh!....my bad; I just kinda thought that only because sometimes, depending on the situation; the mbr can become corrupt which can lead to the same or similar situation(s). So...I only thought it was just possible....also because he mentioned that every time he tried to re install windows; he was still getting corrupt files; and the mbr is what contains the "Code" ...to get windows to boot(along with all the other various files)

EDIT: I also thought that it could be mbr cause even if it shows that the mbr is ok; i believe it still can be bad. Dont forget all it takes is one small bad area to create a domino effect which can lead to errors, etc. So just because it shows its ok; there may still be errors elsewhere in mbr that may possibly not be picked up for whatever reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 system files keep getting corrupted




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Trying to restome my system but found corrupted files!!
So my system never gets restored because of this corrupted files. What should I do in this case!!! I run sfc/scan now and found this corrupted files and have log.cbs if you want to see!! Thanks!!!
Backup and Restore
Need help, webcam + corrupted system files, how can I fix it REMOTELY?
My girlfriend is currently abroad. Connecting any webcam device (Creative, Lenovo, Microsoft) instantly crashes Skype or any other video capturing software. I cannot see her and it drives me mad. Could someone please tell me if it's possible to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit remotely...
Hardware & Devices
System Restore, Windows Update and ATI's CCC files corrupted
By following the tutorial of how to run System File Checker I found the files malgunmc.ttf, wucltux.dll Amd64\hpd7500t.dll (part of prnhp004.inf) were all corrupted. I ran System File Checker several times to see if it would automatically correct the files…it did not. So I followed the next...
Performance & Maintenance
Crashes while the system is not in use - causing corrupted files
I am stumped and am need of some assistance please. I have a custom built system that is primarily a media PC, running Win7 Ultimate x64. I routinely will use the system to watch some netflix/hulu/etc, surf the web, play a game all with no trouble. I'll shut down the TV, and the computer will...
BSOD Help and Support
How do I fix system files that were corrupted during update?
Hello, This is my first post to these forums and I am in dire need of some help. My computer was installing the latest updates for windows 7 professional 64 bit and the battery died durring the shut down process, and now when I start the computer it will allow me to log in but when it hits...
Installation & Setup
How to replace corrupted system files
Hi, I am running windows 7 home premium 32 bit on a Toshiba Satellite model 1115D-S1125. Windows 7 came installed on the computer and has been running well until 2 weeks ago when I got a corrupted file, please run check disc utility message. I have run both check disk utility and the system...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App