Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help Re:sfc /scannow cannot repair shellbrd.dll

29 Apr 2014   #1
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 
Need help Re:sfc /scannow cannot repair shellbrd.dll

Hello 7 gurus I'm a n00b that needs help regarding these entries in SFC log:

Quote:
2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 0000003d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"shellbrd.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Shell-HomePremium, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 0000003f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"shellbrd.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Shell-HomePremium, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 00000040 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:214{107}]"Microsoft-Windows-Branding-HomePremium-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.BHPC Namespace"
2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 00000043 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:64{32}]"\??\C:\Windows\Branding\Shellbrd"\[l:24{12}]"shellbrd.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted.
I recently "fooled around" with changing the OEM Information on System properties page in W7 HomePrem SP1 x64 using instrux from this guide (and others floating around the Netz) and decided to change everything back to it's previous (original) state. After doing so I ran SFC /SCANNOW and discovered the above errors.

Please advise how to replace/repair the file(s), I have repair/install DVD's & USB media as well as several install ISO's on my local drive and a test 7 installation in VMWare that I can copy file(s) from, however this I'm afraid is above my pay grade lol. I need instrux with permissions (if needed), reg files, register/unregister dll's, etc...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2014   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Hello 7 gurus I'm a n00b that needs help regarding these entries in SFC log:

Quote:
2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 0000003d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"shellbrd.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Shell-HomePremium, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 0000003f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"shellbrd.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Shell-HomePremium, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 00000040 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:214{107}]"Microsoft-Windows-Branding-HomePremium-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.BHPC Namespace"
2014-04-29 03:13:51, Info CSI 00000043 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:64{32}]"\??\C:\Windows\Branding\Shellbrd"\[l:24{12}]"shellbrd.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted.
I recently "fooled around" with changing the OEM Information on System properties page in W7 HomePrem SP1 x64 using instrux from this guide (and others floating around the Netz) and decided to change everything back to it's previous (original) state. After doing so I ran SFC /SCANNOW and discovered the above errors.

Please advise how to replace/repair the file(s), I have repair/install DVD's & USB media as well as several install ISO's on my local drive and a test 7 installation in VMWare that I can copy file(s) from, however this I'm afraid is above my pay grade lol. I need instrux with permissions (if needed), reg files, register/unregister dll's, etc...
Try;

1. Retrieve shellbrd.dll from your system setup disk, another PC running the same system as yours, or through DLL Suite database.
2. Save shellbrd.dll to C:WindowsSystem32BrandingShellBrd
3. Type regsvr32 shellbrd.dll and press Enter in CMD window

See the following for how to use an elevated CMD in Windows 7 referenced in item #3;

Elevated Command Prompt

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #3
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Try;
1. Retrieve shellbrd.dll from your system setup disk, another PC running the same system as yours, or through DLL Suite database.
2. Save shellbrd.dll to C:WindowsSystem32BrandingShellBrd
3. Type regsvr32 shellbrd.dll and press Enter in CMD window

HTH
TY for the reply/suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work

Attachment 315823

Tried Elevated "Open Here" cmd in C:Windows-System32-Branding & had semi success (I think?):

Attachment 315827

Further thoughts, ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Apr 2014   #4
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Urthboundmisfit,

In addition, you might see if the items listed in the note box under step 4 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below may be able to allow SFC to repair the files afterwards.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #5
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Try;
1. Retrieve shellbrd.dll from your system setup disk, another PC running the same system as yours, or through DLL Suite database.
2. Save shellbrd.dll to C:WindowsSystem32BrandingShellBrd
3. Type regsvr32 shellbrd.dll and press Enter in CMD window

HTH
TY for the reply/suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work

Attachment 315823

Tried Elevated "Open Here" cmd in C:Windows-System32-Branding & had semi success (I think?):

Attachment 315827

Further thoughts, ideas?


Try rebooting the system and see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't work, you may have copied a different version of shellbrd.dll. Where did you get the file? Are you using the same version of Windows, 32Bit / 64Bit?

Post back your results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #6
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Great minds think alike, I rebooted and ran the regsvr elevated cmd as before, same result.
ETA: Copied shellbrd.dll from my Virtual 7 install, same version x64 Home Prem.

@Shawn: TY for the suggestion, will try now & post back results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #7
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Great minds think alike, I rebooted and ran the regsvr elevated cmd as before, same result.
ETA: Copied shellbrd.dll from my Virtual 7 install, same version x64 Home Prem.

@Shawn: TY for the suggestion, will try now & post back results
If Shawn's suggestion fails to correct the problem, do a search for the file and see if there is more than 1 copy on your system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #8
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
If Shawn's suggestion fails to correct the problem, do a search for the file and see if there is more than 1 copy on your system.
...Still processing Shawn's suggestions- 3 sfc scans, same results.

Search for shellbrd.dll results in 1 copy only (I believe I deleted the SXS copies after sfc said they were corrupt & failed)
Attachment 315835

Ran SURT & Chksur log shows packages as missing:
Quote:
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 23.0
2014-04-29 10:20

Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f) CSI Payload File Missing 0x00000000 shellbrd.dll amd64_microsoft-windows-b..g-shell-homepremium_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_9c05526173da9e18
(f) CSI Payload File Missing 0x00000000 shellbrd.dll amd64_microsoft-windows-b..-shell-professional_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_02f2d0326102c1bf
(f) CSI Payload File Missing 0x00000000 shellbrd.dll amd64_microsoft-windows-b..ding-shell-ultimate_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_209493e8e411a4e5

Summary:
Seconds executed: 104
Found 3 errors
CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 3
Dism /online /Get-Packages>featurelist.txt confirms missing packages... I am somewhat familiar with DISM, how would I find then add these 3 missing packages?

Thank you again guys for your excellent support!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #9
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Urthboundmisfit,

In addition, you might see if the items listed in the note box under step 4 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below may be able to allow SFC to repair the files afterwards.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Hope this helps,
Shawn
  • If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to.
Done, no change.

Done, SURT noted packages missing but did not/could not repair.
  • If still not, then try using OPTION ONE above to run the sfc /scannow command at boot.
Done, no change.

  • If still not, then you can attempt to run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.
No can do, Sys Restore is turned off (small SSD drive). No backups (I know, I know...blushes)

  • If still not, then you can use the steps in the TIP box in the OPTION THREE section below to manually replace the files that SFC could not fix if there are not to many fix.
Done extracted shellbrd.dll from install.wim (Index 2, Home Premium) on DVD, same result when running regsvr.

If you would like to get help with your SFC issue, then be sure to post including your sfcdetails.txt file from OPTION THREE below.

That's why I'm here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #10
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

In that case, you might consider a repair install if what George posted doesn't work either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help Re:sfc /scannow cannot repair shellbrd.dll




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SFC /Scannow Cannot Repair Errors
Being new to this forum, excuse any incorrect requests... Anyway, I have a Lenovo PC that started having very long boot up time (greater than 12 minutes). Have checked everything possible, no Malware found, viruses, Trojans and so on. Tried all that I know to try and fix problem with no luck...
Performance & Maintenance
sfc /scannow cannot repair explorer.exe
Hi everyone, I am having problems using sfc /scannow in my elevated command prompt, as it reported that errors are found but cannot be fixed, in my CBS.log. I searched "cannot repair" in my CBS.log, and it reported error with my explorer.exe. I edited it before when using custom theme...
Performance & Maintenance
SFC /scannow can't repair autochk.exe
I just found out I can't schedule a chkdsk scan, even after scheduling it the scan will not run when the computer reboots. I used the sfc scannow option and the results said something like "windows resource protection found integrity violations" with autochk.exe I attach my sfcdetails.txt file ...
Performance & Maintenance
SFC scannow cannot repair autochk.exe
Hi I have Window Seven family on my laptop It goes quite well. but doing some maintenance, I noticed that SFC scannow detected a problem. From the log (sfc detail below) it seems to me that it is autotchk.exe is corrupted, both in Windows and in Windows backup store. I can however do a...
Performance & Maintenance
sfc scannow can't repair files
Hi guys. I was having problems with my wallpaper (couldn't change it) after fresh instalation of windows and I found a solution on somewhere on the interent. (I had to delate one file). But they also said I could do scannow using cmd.exe. So I did it. in CBS..log i found sth like this: ...
Performance & Maintenance
SFC /scannow cannot repair catsrvut.dll
Howdy, I have Win7x64Ulti -Dell OEM I auto installed Sp1 in a moment of weakness (gave in to the pain of Win7). I have problems with some programs around com+ and VSS, notably Casper, but others as well so I ran sfc /scannow. Only one file shows up as a problem and Win says "cannot...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App