Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it possible to expand the C:\ drive with another volume?

17 Sep 2014   #1
SealBall

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Is it possible to expand the C:\ drive with another volume?

Hi, so, I got an OCZ Agility 60gb SDD for cheap while I was building my computer, thinking that Windows 7 couldn't possibly use all of that and that I'd be able to prevent programs from installing into my C:\ drive. I tried and tried but somehow, my C:\ drive is now at 4.55GB remaining and I'm afraid that it'll run out soon, is it possible to expand my C:\ drive using another volume? I have a 1tb Seagate that I honestly don't have anything on and I'd like to allocate my C:\ drive, maybe 250gb, if it's not possible, does anyone have any recommendations to help keep my C:\ drive as empty as possible? Thanks a lot for your help. I've been running CCleaner but it only helps a tiny bit.

I've heard about converting the two drives in question to a dynamic drive and spanning the two but I don't know if that's safe for a drive containing the OS.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Sep 2014   #2
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

A volume can only be extended to unallocated space on the same physical drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2014   #3
SealBall

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
A volume can only be extended to unallocated space on the same physical drive.
Ah, I'm sorry. I used the wrong terminology then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Sep 2014   #4
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Drive spanning is for data drives only, not those containing an OS. Spanned volumes require drivers which are on the Windows volume. But the volume cannot be read without the drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2014   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SealBall View Post
does anyone have any recommendations to help keep my C:\ drive as empty as possible?
Can you do without hibernation? It would save you 16 GB.

You could adjust the page file.

You might be able to clean up things a bit with Disk Cleanup, the built in Windows tool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2014   #6
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

It's possible to use a RAID 0 configuration to achieve this but it does mean that if either your SSD fails or the hard drive fails then the data is lost on both drives, however, you do need to do a fresh format on both drives to do this, also your SSD will become the same speed as the mechanical hard drive, the other solution is to install non essential programs to your other hard drive in a standard sata config to save space, and just use windows OS on the SSD for lightning fast boot times and load times.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2014   #7
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

A RAID 0 array is made up of 2 or more equal size physical drives. In theory you could combine the SSD with 60 GB of the 1 TB drive into a 120 GB RAID 0 array. The rest of the drive could be used but would be outside the array. The SSD would contribute 60 GB of space but with no performance benefits whatsoever. Assuming that the controller supported such an unusual combination. Software RAID is for data drives only.

All of the problems of RAID 0 with none of the advantages. Not really a viable option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2014   #8
SealBall

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SealBall View Post
does anyone have any recommendations to help keep my C:\ drive as empty as possible?
Can you do without hibernation? It would save you 16 GB.

You could adjust the page file.

You might be able to clean up things a bit with Disk Cleanup, the built in Windows tool.
Yeah, I could easily do without hibernation, how could that save me 16gb?
Could you go more into depth about disabling hibernation and/or adjusting my page file or give me some more information? I'd be really grateful. After a windows update last night, I only have 2.55gb left.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2014   #9
SealBall

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
It's possible to use a RAID 0 configuration to achieve this but it does mean that if either your SSD fails or the hard drive fails then the data is lost on both drives, however, you do need to do a fresh format on both drives to do this, also your SSD will become the same speed as the mechanical hard drive, the other solution is to install non essential programs to your other hard drive in a standard sata config to save space, and just use windows OS on the SSD for lightning fast boot times and load times.

That's what I've done, or at least, attempt to have done. I have a my 60GB SSD, a 500GB HDD that is nearly full because that's where I've been directing my files to be installed to, and a 1TB HDD that my friend gifted to me. Somehow, my C drive STILL managed to get this full. >_<.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2014   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SealBall View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SealBall View Post
does anyone have any recommendations to help keep my C:\ drive as empty as possible?
Can you do without hibernation? It would save you 16 GB.

You could adjust the page file.

You might be able to clean up things a bit with Disk Cleanup, the built in Windows tool.
Yeah, I could easily do without hibernation, how could that save me 16gb?
Could you go more into depth about disabling hibernation and/or adjusting my page file or give me some more information? I'd be really grateful. After a windows update last night, I only have 2.55gb left.
Go to an administrator's command prompt and type powercfg -h off and hit the enter key.

That will save you either 12 or 16 GB---either an amount equal to installed RAM or 75% of that amount.

You can check and change the page file by typing "virtual" into the start menu search box and following the link to virtual memory. Mine is set to a custom size--1024 MB minimum; 2048 MB maximum.

Some would tell you to get rid of it entirely since you have so much RAM, but a better move is to keep a relatively small one.

Run disk cleanup and tell it to clean up system files. You have to check a box to do that.

You can also download and run a program like Treesize Free to see what's using the space on the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it possible to expand the C:\ drive with another volume?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to merge and expand hard drive
Hey there, This is my first post. So I'm new here. I have a current problem and hope some of you fine people can help me out. I have looked already on the internet and here on the forum to find a solution before starting another topic. But I couldn't find it. I will explain the situation as...
Hardware & Devices
Can't expand volume without creating dynamic disk
So I have a large HDD which I have been juggling some information on. I am now left with a 500gb partition with all my data, and 1TB of free, unallocated space. However when I now try to expand this volume to use all the unallocated space, Windows disk manager only let's me do so if I create a...
Hardware & Devices
Will it create problem If I expand C drive in windows7 with EASEUS Par
Dear friends , I need to expand the volume of the C drive in my windows 7 laptop. When I bought it newly I was unaware that windows 7 have built-in provision in itself to do this work. Therefore I used EASEUS partition Master 5.0.1 Professional Edition to partition my drives as soon I purchased...
Hardware & Devices
How do i expand my c drive??????
i have a windows 7 ultimate os. i am desperately trying to expand my c drive using the partition manager in the control panel. i succeeded in creating an unallocated volume. however if i right click on the c drive partition, the option 'extend volume' cannot be clicked(its in that grey text, not...
General Discussion
Shrink C drive Expand D & ad extra partition A
My operating system is Win7 Ultimate. Currently I have two WD 500 GB drives on my PC. One has 2x 250 GB NTFS partitions. The other drive (F: ) is not partitioned and I have no need to partition (F: ) (F: ) is used for archiving photos and some videos. This inquiry is about the one hard...
General Discussion
Error in expand the C drive in windows 7
Hi all, I just want to expand my c drive because its having only 5 GB free space. So i read one article in google through that i went to the "Disk management" and i deleted the volume D data. As per the article if i try to delete partition option but its grayed out. I don't know what i did wrong...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App