Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SDD Input

25 Nov 2014   #21
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Let's make it simple.

Can I image my HDD to external HD, have the HDD removed, have an SSD installed , plug the external back in, and copy the imaged HDD, on the external HD, to the internal SSD?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Nov 2014   #22
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Same thing - 7 or 8. Read the tutorial I linked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2014   #23
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Same thing.

????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Nov 2014   #24
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
Let's make it simple.

Can I image my HDD to external HD, have the HDD removed, have an SSD installed , plug the external back in, and copy the imaged HDD, on the external HD, to the internal SSD?
The procedure is the same for Win 7 or Win 8, but:

1: "imaging" makes a file that is a representation of one or more partitions on some drive. It does not make a bootable drive and it is not a "copy" of some other drive or partition. It creates a file. Full stop.

2: the file made with imaging must later be "restored" to some drive. At that point and only that point would you have a useful, bootable, copy of a Windows system. And then only if the C partition and any other partition that may contain boot files were deliberately included in the image file.

Cloning, on the other hand, makes an immediately useful replica of some drive, in real time, while you wait. You don't "restore" anything. "Copy" would be a pretty good word for it.

The only reason you would outright "copy" an image file is if you wanted to make another copy of it for backup purposes. That's a good idea, but neither the original nor the copy is of much use until restored.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2014   #25
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
Let's make it simple.

Can I image my HDD to external HD, have the HDD removed, have an SSD installed , plug the external back in, and copy the imaged HDD, on the external HD, to the internal SSD?
The procedure is the same for Win 7 or Win 8, but:

1: "imaging" makes a file that is a representation of one or more partitions on some drive. It does not make a bootable drive and it is not a "copy" of some other drive or partition. It creates a file. Full stop.

2: the file made with imaging must later be "restored" to some drive. At that point and only that point would you have a useful, bootable, copy of a Windows system. And then only if the C partition and any other partition that may contain boot files were deliberately included in the image file.

Cloning, on the other hand, makes an immediately useful replica of some drive, in real time, while you wait. You don't "restore" anything. "Copy" would be a pretty good word for it.

The only reason you would outright "copy" an image file is if you wanted to make another copy of it for backup purposes. That's a good idea, but neither the original nor the copy is of much use until restored.
What if I used Paragon? Could I go from HDD to external, and external to SSD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2014   #26
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Paragon makes good tools. Should work well for you. Macrium is the common choice on this forum, but Paragon is fine as far as I know.

Yes, you can make an image file of a partition on an internal HDD, save it on an external, and later restore it to an internal SSD.

It's just a file. You can store it pretty much anywhere you want OTHER THAN on a partition that is represented in the image----you can't make an image file of C and store it on C.

Imaging is done on a partition basis. If you have 3 partitions on a drive, you can make a single image file of all 3, or separate images of each, or whatever you want. But you need to be sure to make an image of the partition containing your boot files. That could be C, that could be System Reserved, or something else---depending on your individual configuration, which can be determined by looking at a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2014   #27
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I found out Paragon did not work for me but they do offer a 30 day money back guarantee so it's worth a shot
It's a complicated operation I decided to do a clean install after backing up everything I thought it best for the long run
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2014   #28
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

The input here has been fabulous, and I think I'm ready to learn by experience.

Here are my computer specs:
Windows 7 Professional SP1
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GhZ
4G RAM
INtel 82945G Express Chipset Family

I am told if I switch to SSD, I will see significant improvement on speed.

I am going to purchase an SSD with the adapter kit, including cable, bracket, and software for imaging.

I can install the software, hook up my SSD, via USB, image the SATA onto the SSD.

Take out the SATA, and insert the SSD, via bracket.

Boot up and my drive will be ready to go??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2014   #29
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

Maybe you're not clear on the terminology. In the scenario you described, you want to clone the HDD to the SSD in order that the SSD will be bootable when you remove the hdd and replace it with the SSD. If you image the hdd, you will need another external drive, you will image the hdd to the external drive, install the ssd, boot the machine from a boot disk that you made prior to removing the hdd, then restore the image from the external drive to the ssd. At that point, the ssd will be bootable.

Which seems more straightforward to you, cloning or imaging?

Either way will work, some people prefer imaging since they end up with a backup of their system drive that they could use to restore in case of failure later on.

Also, in most cases, the ssd will be smaller than the hdd you wish to clone so you may need to move data around and shrink partitions to be able to clone (or image) your hdd to your ssd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2014   #30
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Maybe you're not clear on the terminology. In the scenario you described, you want to clone the HDD to the SSD in order that the SSD will be bootable when you remove the hdd and replace it with the SSD. If you image the hdd, you will need another external drive, you will image the hdd to the external drive, install the ssd, boot the machine from a boot disk that you made prior to removing the hdd, then restore the image from the external drive to the ssd. At that point, the ssd will be bootable.

Which seems more straightforward to you, cloning or imaging?
My bad strollin. This is the kit and it is a cloning disk.


Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) Desktop Bundle Kit with Adapter Solid State Drive SV300S3D7/120G: Computers & Accessories

So if I use this in my above scenario, I 'should' be able to clone, take out the SATA, inset the SSD, boot up, and be good to go?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SDD Input




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need your input on what I should get next.
Hey everyone, I`d just like some input on what part I should get next from the 3 I`ve picked out.:p MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com HP W2371d Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1 -...
Hardware & Devices
HDMI Input: No Input Signal -- Monitor Going to Sleep
Windows automatically updated last night before shutting down. When I turned on the computer this morning, the HP w2207h monitor was not functioning properly. Each time I rebooted, I received the message "HDMI Input: No Input Signal" before the monitor went to sleep. I do not believe it is a...
Graphic Cards
Sp1 RC Input ...
Hi Everybody. By now i have no doubt that whole lot of you have already installed sp1-rc .. Can you give us some ideas how much sp1(rc) improves your systems ...? Give and take each system is different from one another ,so we all have general ideas what to expect when the RTM shows up . Thanks...
Windows Updates & Activation
Realtek HD Audio, PC input yes/ HDTV input no
ALC 888 codec Latest driver 2.46 installed F7 bios installed Sony Bravia LCD, If I'm using the PC input on LCD, sound works great. If I'm using an HDTV input on LCD, no sound. Anybody got any ideas about this? Would really like to use an HDTV input, picture definition is so much better...
Sound & Audio
Need input, please.
I need your help, please. I currently have Vista on a recently purchased desktop computer at home running 64 bit -- whatever that means. Not too long after getting the computer I set-up some strict parental controls on the system -- I have two teenage boys. Of course, to do that I needed to set...
General Discussion
Input Lag
Hello, I searched for this problem, but have yet to find it. I am running VM XP Mode on my W7 RC x64 and am having an issue with input lag. It seems to happen quite often while using my one and only program that works only within XP Mode. It is a sketching software that was designed for use with...
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App