Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC has slowed right down when down loading.


05 Nov 2009   #1

Win7
 
 
PC has slowed right down when down loading.

Win 7, Ultimate RC 7100, 64 bit, Outlook Express and Live Mail, XP mode not installed or disabled.

In April of this year with help from this and other forums I built a new PC from scratch, I installed as much ram as the new MB would allow which is 8GB.

The MB is an Asus M3A78-EM.

Every thing was working fine up to about a month ago.

Since then when down loading software/updating from sites the speed has been reduced to almost a snail pace, I mean an almost stand still.

Watching you tube videos is now an almost impossibility, I put this down to no 64 bit flash players being available as yet for WIN 7, I followed advise and ran Flash in 32 bit environment, no improvement what so ever.

I ran a full virus check, including a hijack log, and malware byte, had this looked at, some cookies but nothing, I ran them in safe mode but first clearing and turning off Win 7 restore points.

Next I disabled Win 7 fire wall, no improvement what so ever.

I then went into msconfig, I disabled some start up processes, again no improvement in download speeds.

However I looked in to services there are 141 enabled, I have no idea if this is normal for WIN 7 or what to disable or not and would this be a cause of my troubles?

I could disable all but worried OS might not boot.

My service provider is Tiscali, I have spoken to them, they swear from their end their is no problem but my download speeds are slower then a modem, I'm ADSL cable.

The other day they asked me to check my internet speeds by down loading a speed program, I failed because I don't have 64 bit flash, so they informed me.

My PC works fine and I'm delighted with Win 7 64 but the slow downloads are driving me to despair but this only started a month and a bit ago.

Is not having a 64 bit flash player causing the slow down in down loading?

Can any one give me some answers/solutions please?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Nov 2009   #2

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Retail
 
 

HI,

there's no 64bit Flash for Windows (yet). 32 bits Flash works on a 64bit OS with no problem.
I don't think your problem is Flash Related.

Edit: Have you tested another browser ?

grt

UnderBoac
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Try switching to OpenDNS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Nov 2009   #4

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnderBoac View Post
HI,

there's no 64bit Flash for Windows (yet). 32 bits Flash works on a 64bit OS with no problem.
I don't think your problem is Flash Related.

Edit: Have you tested another browser ?

grt

UnderBoac
Thanks UnderBoac

Can you name one that won't interfear with live mail, assuming I can dowload it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #5

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Try switching to OpenDNS.
How do I do that please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Retail
 
 

Try Firefox or Opera as alternative browser (so we can determine if the problem is browser related)

Tram 1 means: change your DNS-servers (in your router or OS) from the ones of your provider to the ones of OpenDNS.

OpenDNS
It's Free and save, the account isn't necessary , VideoTutorial

Edit: you probably can't see the video at the moment.....: Try an alternative browser first.

Have other computers in your network the same problem?
Are the settings in your modem/routers correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Instructions are here:

www.opendns.com/

and also, try the Opera browser.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #8

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnderBoac View Post
Try Firefox or Opera as alternative browser (so we can determine if the problem is browser related)

Tram 1 means: change your DNS-servers (in your router or OS) from the ones of your provider to the ones of OpenDNS.

OpenDNS
It's Free and save, the account isn't necessary , VideoTutorial

Edit: you probably can't see the video at the moment.....: Try an alternative browser first.

Have other computers in your network the same problem?
Are the settings in your modem/routers correct?
Thank you,

As per my original thread I downloaded and installed Fire Fox, it didn't improve things.

I have just tried to download Opera for Windows, what happened and is happening more and more when I try downloading is I keep getting a Timeout notification.

I noted Opera download was 6.56MB, the transfer rate was was 3.21kb/sec and it was going to take 40 minutes to download.

One of my measures at the the moment to see if things are improving is to attempt to down load a Nokia Software updater, this is a 23MB file at 2.12 KB/sec transfer rate and it's going to take over 2 hours to download.

And your right I can't open the DNS video tutorial so I can't even enable DNS.

I rely on the integrated graphic chip, it's 3200 I think on the Asus, I've updated the MB Bios today, could it be I need to update the driver for the graphics, I shouldn't have thought that would affect downloads?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Sounds like your antivirus.....trying to scan everything that is downloaded in a disruptive and intervening way...Uninstall it for a moment and try to download something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tram 1 View Post
Win 7, Ultimate RC 7100, 64 bit, Outlook Express and Live Mail, XP mode not installed or disabled.

In April of this year with help from this and other forums I built a new PC from scratch, I installed as much ram as the new MB would allow which is 8GB.

The MB is an Asus M3A78-EM.

Every thing was working fine up to about a month ago.

Since then when down loading software/updating from sites the speed has been reduced to almost a snail pace, I mean an almost stand still.

Watching you tube videos is now an almost impossibility, I put this down to no 64 bit flash players being available as yet for WIN 7, I followed advise and ran Flash in 32 bit environment, no improvement what so ever.

I ran a full virus check, including a hijack log, and malware byte, had this looked at, some cookies but nothing, I ran them in safe mode but first clearing and turning off Win 7 restore points.

Next I disabled Win 7 fire wall, no improvement what so ever.

I then went into msconfig, I disabled some start up processes, again no improvement in download speeds.

However I looked in to services there are 141 enabled, I have no idea if this is normal for WIN 7 or what to disable or not and would this be a cause of my troubles?

I could disable all but worried OS might not boot.

My service provider is Tiscali, I have spoken to them, they swear from their end their is no problem but my download speeds are slower then a modem, I'm ADSL cable.

The other day they asked me to check my internet speeds by down loading a speed program, I failed because I don't have 64 bit flash, so they informed me.

My PC works fine and I'm delighted with Win 7 64 but the slow downloads are driving me to despair but this only started a month and a bit ago.

Is not having a 64 bit flash player causing the slow down in down loading?

Can any one give me some answers/solutions please?
Everything you talk about here indicates a problem with your internet connection, not a problem with Windows 7 or your computer.

Flash has nothing to do with downloading or download speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC has slowed right down when down loading.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: PC has slowed right down when down loading.
Thread Forum
slowed down boot up Performance & Maintenance
Solved PC slowed right down the last two or three days. Gadgets
very recently computer slowed down Performance & Maintenance
Performance slowed down ? Performance & Maintenance
Win 7 Slowed WAY down Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 slowed to a crawl BSOD Help and Support
Win 7 slowed to a crawl General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33