Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64Bit 7 not using all 4GB of ram

07 Nov 2009   #1
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 
64Bit 7 not using all 4GB of ram

I have put 64Bit windows 7 on my pc and it says that it has 4gb ram but only 3gb usable but dont know whats causing this my GPU Nvidia 9500GT says its got 1GB shared ram but i cant get it back is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy new ram or a new motherboard?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I have put 64Bit windows 7 on my pc and it says that it has 4gb ram but only 3gb usable but dont know whats causing this my GPU Nvidia 9500GT says its got 1GB shared ram but i cant get it back is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy new ram or a new motherboard?
SN

Hi and welcome

Its perfectly normal for shared memory. If you were able to take it back you would have a vga video display, not be able to run aero, and not be able to game. You can always add ram if your mobo supports it but the video card would still grab one gig.

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #3
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Its your motherboard causing this issue. You wont find tis issue if you get a newer board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #4
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I have put 64Bit windows 7 on my pc and it says that it has 4gb ram but only 3gb usable but dont know whats causing this my GPU Nvidia 9500GT says its got 1GB shared ram but i cant get it back is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy new ram or a new motherboard?
SN

Hi and welcome

Its perfectly normal for shared memory. If you were able to take it back you would have a vga video display, not be able to run aero, and not be able to game. You can always add ram if your mobo supports it but the video card would still grab one gig.

Ken J
But the GPU has a dedicated 1GB ram built in and my mate has same GPU in his pc and he has 4GB ram running 7 64bit and he has all 4GB ram avalible to him so it cant be to do with the GPU
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #5
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Does your "mate" have the same motherboard and chipset? Look for memory remapping in the BIOS otherwise you will have to live with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #6
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

My motherboard is foxconn G31MX so it does not have the memory reamp option on its bios and my mate has a foxconn board to just a dif modle number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #7
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

Also b4 i even added the new GPU it said i only had 3.24GB usable how is that possible when it just had intergrated graphics at that point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #8
PaulGo

Windows 7 64 SP1
 
 

Play around with System Configuration - Boot - Advanced options and then make boot setting permanent. I had to check and then uncheck some boxes until I go Window 7 64 bit to recognize my 4 megs of memory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #9
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Play around with System Configuration - Boot - Advanced options and then make boot setting permanent. I had to check and then uncheck some boxes until I go Window 7 64 bit to recognize my 4 megs of memory.
I dont have any options for the ram though in the bios under advanced options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #10
PaulGo

Windows 7 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Play around with System Configuration - Boot - Advanced options and then make boot setting permanent. I had to check and then uncheck some boxes until I go Window 7 64 bit to recognize my 4 megs of memory.
I dont have any options for the ram though in the bios under advanced options.

I not writing about your BIOS I am writing about System Configuration in Administrative Tools (in Windows 7).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64Bit 7 not using all 4GB of ram




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD Winxp 64bit, Win7 Pro 64bit many error codes
Hi every one, i have this machine which is causing too much headache for me, this machine was having Windows XP 64 Bit, and it had a lot of BSOD crashes, then i just decided that it's the time to make the move to Windows 7 for this high performance machine, since i was not able to upgrade to...
BSOD Help and Support
Cant install 64bit even though my processor is 64bit capable.
Hey, I have searched all over the internet and found no solution to my problem. But considering my situation I am sure there must be a solution so here goes. Short story: My pc says its 64bit capable but it doesn't seem to be able to recognize any 64bit install disks. What should I do? ...
Installation & Setup
Twinhan DVB card driver works in Vista 64bit but not 7 64bit HELP HELP
Hello I have a DVB card called Twinhan 1025 Twinhan company is gone so they dont provide new drivers the driver we have is for Vista 64bit which works well with RAM more or less than 4 GB but in Windows 7 64bit it works with only RAM less than 4 GB :confused::confused: My RAM is 6 GB when...
Drivers
MathType add-in not working for 64bit MS Office 2010 64bit
Hi, Just got into the flavour of windows 7 for a couple of days and I'm lovin' it. Now, I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus 64 bit on my system. Then I tried to use the Mathtype plugin 6.6a, but I cannot make it to work. What I've done so far: 1. Installed MS Office 2010...
Microsoft Office
Adobe Photoshop 64bit freezes on 64bit windows
getting frustrated as since i got windows 7 both Adobe Photoshop cs4 and Grass Valley Edius keep freezing. Edius usually only will freeze for 10 seconds then rectify but photoshop is freezing often.. especially after the pc has idled, and nothing can rectify it, so im losing work help!
BSOD Help and Support
Upgrading from 7232 64bit to 7264 64bit problems.
Guys, I'm have some difficulties in upgrading. I keep on getting the following message, I tried running the setup in compatibility mode, but same thing. I also tried changing the cversion.ini file. Same. Hope someone can give me some advise. Thanks!!
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App