Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I replace corrupted files?

20 May 2015   #1
BADW0LF

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
How do I replace corrupted files?

Hi. I was trying to install a new anti-virus when it said it couldn't start tasks-- apparently the base filtering system was messed up. The anti-virus support helped me remove multiple viruses that I hadn't been aware of. But the damage is still done.

I tried starting the bfs as admin but it said I didn't have permission. A sfc scan said that I had corrupted files it couldn't fix so I tried Windows Updates and System Restore but nothing worked. I ended up contacting Microsoft and the support guy told me I had a lot of corrupted files but it would cost over $100 to fix. I'm hoping there's another option.

I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit. Please help! I don't want to lose my laptop/ files :\


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 May 2015   #2
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

First of all, do you have a backup? If not that is what you need to do before doing anything else.
I recommend using an external USB hard drive and Macrium Reflect Free to do an image backup. Once you have that then you can proceed to work on the problem. Otherwise you are exposed to losing files.

Good tutorial here: Imaging with free Macrium

Then open a Elevated Command Prompt and run the following commands sequentially, several times if necessary.

Quote:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow
See if that repairs the corrupted files.


Rats, forgot again this is Windows 7 which does not have the necessary DISM support for the above commands. Try this:

Quote:
Install and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT): See here What is the System Update Readiness Tool?. Once done, do the following:

Open a Elevated Command Prompt.
Click on the Start button and type cmd.
DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
Type SFC /scannow and press Enter. See if the Component store problems are fixed. Run 2-3 times if necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #3
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Check this if applicable to your case The Tech Cookbook – Windows 7 update (KB3022345) causing corrupt files

If you still have corruption, let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 May 2015   #4
gregrocker

 

When there are unfixable System Files that SFC cannot repair after three attempts, then the next step is a Repair Install.

However I'd first look over the steps for getting and keeping a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7 because there may be room for quantum improvement if your install varies by much in how it was performed, if it is the corrupt factory install which is the worst install of Win7 one can have, or if you have maintained it much differently than suggested.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #5
BADW0LF

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When there are unfixable System Files that SFC cannot repair after three attempts, then the next step is a Repair Install.

However I'd first look over the steps for getting and keeping a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7 because there may be room for quantum improvement if your install varies by much in how it was performed, if it is the corrupt factory install which is the worst install of Win7 one can have, or if you have maintained it much differently than suggested.
Would the Repair Install or Clean Reinstall wipe out all of my personal files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #6
BADW0LF

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
Check this if applicable to your case The Tech Cookbook Windows 7 update (KB3022345) causing corrupt files

If you still have corruption, let us know.
When I try to look at the log, it says "access is denied".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #7
BADW0LF

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
First of all, do you have a backup? If not that is what you need to do before doing anything else.
I recommend using an external USB hard drive and Macrium Reflect Free to do an image backup. Once you have that then you can proceed to work on the problem. Otherwise you are exposed to losing files.

Good tutorial here: Imaging with free Macrium

Then open a Elevated Command Prompt and run the following commands sequentially, several times if necessary.

Quote:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow
See if that repairs the corrupted files.


Rats, forgot again this is Windows 7 which does not have the necessary DISM support for the above commands. Try this:

Quote:
Install and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT): See here What is the System Update Readiness Tool?. Once done, do the following:

Open a Elevated Command Prompt.
Click on the Start button and type cmd.
DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
Type SFC /scannow and press Enter. See if the Component store problems are fixed. Run 2-3 times if necessary.
Does the Macrium Free save Word doc files? It's basically just making a copy of certain things?

I've tried the SURT but it didn't change anything. Some Windows updates won't install. Also, the sfc couldn't fix anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #8
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BADW0LF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When there are unfixable System Files that SFC cannot repair after three attempts, then the next step is a Repair Install.

However I'd first look over the steps for getting and keeping a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7 because there may be room for quantum improvement if your install varies by much in how it was performed, if it is the corrupt factory install which is the worst install of Win7 one can have, or if you have maintained it much differently than suggested.
Would the Repair Install or Clean Reinstall wipe out all of my personal files?
If you click the blue link you'd be able to read and understand exactly what a Repair Install does an doesn't do. It does not remove your files, programs or most settings.

A Clean Reinstall does overwrite the old OS, but your files should be backed up anyway because the hard drive could die at any time. It explains what and how to back up your files in that tutorial as well. Over 1.5 million consumers have followed it without a single complaint. They have the best installs in the world.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #9
BADW0LF

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BADW0LF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When there are unfixable System Files that SFC cannot repair after three attempts, then the next step is a Repair Install.

However I'd first look over the steps for getting and keeping a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7 because there may be room for quantum improvement if your install varies by much in how it was performed, if it is the corrupt factory install which is the worst install of Win7 one can have, or if you have maintained it much differently than suggested.
Would the Repair Install or Clean Reinstall wipe out all of my personal files?
If you click the blue link you'd be able to read and understand exactly what a Repair Install does an doesn't do. It does not remove your files, programs or most settings.

A Clean Reinstall does overwrite the old OS, but your files should be backed up anyway because the hard drive could die at any time. It explains what and how to back up your files in that tutorial as well. Over 1.5 million consumers have followed it without a single complaint. They have the best installs in the world.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure. I'll try the Repair and let you know if it works. *fingers crossed*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2015   #10
BADW0LF

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BADW0LF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BADW0LF View Post

Would the Repair Install or Clean Reinstall wipe out all of my personal files?
If you click the blue link you'd be able to read and understand exactly what a Repair Install does an doesn't do. It does not remove your files, programs or most settings.

A Clean Reinstall does overwrite the old OS, but your files should be backed up anyway because the hard drive could die at any time. It explains what and how to back up your files in that tutorial as well. Over 1.5 million consumers have followed it without a single complaint. They have the best installs in the world.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure. I'll try the Repair and let you know if it works. *fingers crossed*
Okay, so even with those tutorials, I'm in over my head. I've backed up my files to an external drive but in regards to the Repair, I'm not sure what to do. I'm a total novice here so please bear with me.

Would this need a Win7 installation disc? Because my laptop didn't come with one. Only "Application and Driver Recovery DVD" and "System Recovery DVD". And what is an ISO and how do I find out if I have it on my system...? I do have Service Pack 1 installed. I know that much.

If you could baby step me through this, I'd be so appreciative!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I replace corrupted files?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
how do i replace corrupted keyboard drivers
asus support tell me i need to reinstall the whole of windows but hoping i can avoid that! my issue shows on device manager under keyboard section , both "HID keyboard device" and "keyboard device filter " show corrupted , as does "elan ps/2 smart pad" in the mice section have tried...
Drivers
Corrupted Files + Unable to Repair + Corrupted Source
So, I reformatted my computer again. Did some SFC scans before I installed any Microsoft updates and all scans were clean. Did all the updates, drivers, program installations. Couple days later I decide to check with SFC and found some errors. There's also errors at the source, meaning I can't...
Performance & Maintenance
corrupted administrator account repair replace
I recently purchased a new Dell inspiron 560 MT with win 7 64 bit Home premier. During setup I think i made a mistake in not setting up a user account in addition to the administrator account. I then partioned my drive to create a separate drive for my data and losded my software into c: and my...
General Discussion
Corrupted CD, getting an error as corrupted or missing files
Hi All I bought a new windows 7 home basic edition. I tried installing windows 7 on my laptop after formatting the disk. During the 2nd step of installation Install windows ->Expanding windows it says files may be corrupted please ensure all the files exist before installation. Please help, I...
General Discussion
How to replace corrupted system files
Hi, I am running windows 7 home premium 32 bit on a Toshiba Satellite model 1115D-S1125. Windows 7 came installed on the computer and has been running well until 2 weeks ago when I got a corrupted file, please run check disc utility message. I have run both check disk utility and the system...
Backup and Restore
Replace corrupted gadgets in sidebar
G'day All, Problem: Corrupted Gagets. When I drag ie the clock gaget to the desk top is appears a black square with thin red line. The other gagets to not appear. Sofar I ran sfc /scannow. The text file on the desktop showed no file(s) need further repair. These gagets are not...
Gadgets


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App