Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Defraging

10 Jan 2010   #11
Cavsfan

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Ubuntu 10.04 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Didn't you mean it was 27% FRAGMENTED?
Yes, you are right. My bad!

Have you gotten it under 11% yet? That's quite a bit of fragmentation for post-defragging, IMO.

all my windows drives show zero percent fragmentation when I test frag levels.
Well, I guess there are more than one answer to this question. I have used Defraggler for a long time and prefer it.
But, after what I refer to as "wasting" about 5 hours, it went from 10% fragmented to about the same. It could not defragment C:/System Volume Information/ entirely.
I have it scheduled to run every night at 2 AM and 10% is what I first saw.

I noticed you gave a +1 to Auslogics program, so I downloaded and ran it. It said 0% fragmentation after I ran it..
But as you can see from this pic, it is not really totally defragmented.



As you can see there are immovable files that are of course fragmented and towards the end there are several "green" non-fragmented files. However, when I think of defragmented, I see all of the files together at the top with white every where else.
So, defraggler says it is still not defragmented and auslogics does...
I don't know what to make of this info.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Jan 2010   #12
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Those would be System restore Points/ Page File / Hiberfile and possibly a few TEMP files in use. they can not be defragmented while windows is running.

I do not know if that defragmenter has the ability to do offline "system" defrags or not. If so, it should be able to defragment these files before starting Windows.

If not & it bugs you, an alternative you can try (but will be more work):
Do a disk clean up
Delete hyberfile (if you do not hibernate your system)
Delete all system restore points. (may want to leave most current one up to you)
Disable pagefile.
Reboot
Defrag.

When done, Re-enable Pagefile. reboot if needed ( I would make it same min and max)
Re-enable system restore and create restore point.


Going this route will place the PAGEFILE at the end of the defragmented files when it recreated, in one piece.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #13
Cavsfan

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Ubuntu 10.04 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Those would be System restore Points/ Page File / Hiberfile and possibly a few TEMP files in use. they can not be defragmented while windows is running.

I do not know if that defragmenter has the ability to do offline "system" defrags or not. If so, it should be able to defragment these files before starting Windows.

If not & it bugs you, an alternative you can try (but will be more work):
Do a disk clean up
Delete hyberfile (if you do not hibernate your system)
Delete all system restore points. (may want to leave most current one up to you)
Disable pagefile.
Reboot
Defrag.

When done, Re-enable Pagefile. reboot if needed ( I would make it same min and max)
Re-enable system restore and create restore point.


Going this route will place the PAGEFILE at the end of the defragmented files when it recreated, in one piece.
Thanks for this information! I can live with it the way it is I guess. I will keep this in case I ever need to shrink the drive.
Just curious, but a while back I needed to use a restore point and there was only 2 or 3 and I expected many, many more.
Can you tell me what deletes restore points besides manually deleting them (above) and the FSUTIL command (it did on Vista, not sure about windows 7). I never seem to see more than a couple restore points, yet I have reserved enough room for plenty and when an update occurs, I see that it creates a restore point.
Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2010   #14
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Manually:
Turning System restore off, or off and back on, will delete ALL restore points.

Using windows built in disk clean up, under More Options tab, & Clean up System Restore/Shadow Copies ...
Deletes all restore points except the most current one.

Automatically: It deletes the oldst on its own, when space is low (the space you allow for restore points)

It should create restore points however, everytime you install something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #15
Cavsfan

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Ubuntu 10.04 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Manually:
Turning System restore off, or off and back on, will delete ALL restore points.

Using windows built in disk clean up, under More Options tab, & Clean up System Restore/Shadow Copies ...
Deletes all restore points except the most current one.

Automatically: It deletes the oldst on its own, when space is low (the space you allow for restore points)

It should create restore points however, everytime you install something.
I run CCleaner a lot, could that do it? because I haven't turned it off and
I don't use disk cleanup since I use CCleaner. I know I have enough space
allocated, but I only see a couple when I have needed them.
Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #16
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

As far as I am aware, NO. im fairly certain CCleaner only deletes temp. junk, thumbnails etc ..

I could be mistaken though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #17
ironclad

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Some Ideas

I've found that there are a couple of things that you can do to reduce the fragmentation of those system files that refuse to defragment:

1. Take a note from Linux. Create a partition just for the pagefile and hibernation file (if you need the hibernation file). Separating these files from the main partition keeps other files from fragmenting around them. If you have multiple physical hard drives placing those system files on a separate hard drive can possibly increase performance since the system won't have to contend with another program accessing the disk at the same time the system wants to access the pagefile. Placing the pagefile on a separate hard drive will only grant performance benefits if your system has to do a lot of caching in which case, you probably need more ram.

2. To minimize the fragmentation of the pagefile, specify a specific size and not just a min and max range. Specifying the size creates the whole file all at once so that it doesn't fragment itself as it expands and shrinks. If you specify a size make sure that it is big enough. I think most recommendations I've seen is 1.5 times the amount of ram you have. However with my 4GB of ram I rarely see my pagefile usage get much past 1GB. Also something else to note, if you are running 32-bit Windows you will only be able to use a total of about 3.5 GB whether that 3.5GB is in ram or pagefile or both. For example if you have 2GB of ram running 32-bit Windows your pagefile can't get past 1.5 GB in size because Windows can't address past that. 64bit doesn't have that limitation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #18
Cavsfan

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Ubuntu 10.04 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
I've found that there are a couple of things that you can do to reduce the fragmentation of those system files that refuse to defragment:

1. Take a note from Linux. Create a partition just for the pagefile and hibernation file (if you need the hibernation file). Separating these files from the main partition keeps other files from fragmenting around them. If you have multiple physical hard drives placing those system files on a separate hard drive can possibly increase performance since the system won't have to contend with another program accessing the disk at the same time the system wants to access the pagefile. Placing the pagefile on a separate hard drive will only grant performance benefits if your system has to do a lot of caching in which case, you probably need more ram.

2. To minimize the fragmentation of the pagefile, specify a specific size and not just a min and max range. Specifying the size creates the whole file all at once so that it doesn't fragment itself as it expands and shrinks. If you specify a size make sure that it is big enough. I think most recommendations I've seen is 1.5 times the amount of ram you have. However with my 4GB of ram I rarely see my pagefile usage get much past 1GB. Also something else to note, if you are running 32-bit Windows you will only be able to use a total of about 3.5 GB whether that 3.5GB is in ram or pagefile or both. For example if you have 2GB of ram running 32-bit Windows your pagefile can't get past 1.5 GB in size because Windows can't address past that. 64bit doesn't have that limitation.
Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. I already dual boot with Ubuntu and have
used up the 4 partitions for the HD so I could only make a logical. But, I think I am fine right now.
This PC is still fast as lightening as far as I am concerned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #19
thelamacmdr

Windows 7
 
 

Being a large fan of everything open source I've turned to Ultra Defrag and I find it works better than the built in Windows 7 Defrag but I haven't tried Auslogic's yet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #20
bumwithshoes

windows 7
 
 

Raxco Perfect disk will give the results you're after,by far best defragger imo and i've tried them all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Defraging




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Should I Be Defraging My Storage Harddrives
Hi, I use a 120GB SSD to run my operating system from and use two internal hard disk drives one which hosts my personal files and the other is synchronized backup of my personal files.. I also have an external hard disk drive and a NAS unit. Should I be defragging these disks as I've never...
Hardware & Devices
Defraging Question?
I just started to defrag my hard drive and saw this on the screen. It will not fix itself and has me worry. The look of the red lines that is there and can't be fix as I try to run it a few times. Anything I can do to try and fix the defrag my HD to fix this problem?
Performance & Maintenance
HDD losing space when defraging
Had 31.9 GB when I started defrag, only 5.6 afterwards
Performance & Maintenance
Importance of defraging System Reserved?
Hello to all, I have recently gone back to using Windows standard defrag. It show that the System Reserved Partition is fragmented. It goes through the motions of defragging, very quickly and the amount of fragmentation stays the same 11%. I am just odd enough to want that defragged on general...
Performance & Maintenance
Why is defraging so slow?
I'm using Defraggler and it's taking forever to defrag, b4 i used to use Auslogics Disk Defrag and it was way faster.
Performance & Maintenance
Defraging out a virus?
I had never heard of this. A guy at work let his AV expire and then clicked where he shoudn't have.:mad2: Outlook starts crashing. Installed new AV and scanned. Found a nasty. Outlook still acting strange. Tried some fixes but no go. Searched for outcmd.dat file for a fix I found online but search...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App