Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: What's your memory assessment speed?

17 Apr 2010   #611

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 View Post
Hi, I have just a few questions to ask. I picked up a Dell XPS 430 barebones the other day and was able to move my cpu and everything over just fine. The only thing I couldn't move over was my memory since my old machine was DDR2 and this one is DDR3. Just so I could get it up and running and make sure everything works ok I got some cheapo DDR3 1333mhz ram of craigslist. When I run the test my speeds are only averaging around 6870MB/s. Isn't that fairly slow for DDR3? I had one test go just above 10000MB/s but that was it. I know it's possible that the ram is just cheap and not very fast, but still should it be that slow? My DDR2 800Mhz wasn't that far behind it.
The speed is likely to be limited by the motherboard and its bios settings. I doubt if the Dell would allow you much flexibility in changing timings and Vdimm to maximize your DDR3 ram.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2010   #612

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

I'm so ashamed to put my numbers up. It is the slowest in the whole world.
Is it time for me to get another computer or what?
Can anyone tell me aboy FSB DRAM reading of 5:6 ?
Seems everone one else has 1:2?
Is my Bus speed set wrong or something?
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I know very little about tweeking memory/FSB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #613

Windows 7 Professional x64 6.1 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 View Post
Hi, I have just a few questions to ask. I picked up a Dell XPS 430 barebones the other day and was able to move my cpu and everything over just fine. The only thing I couldn't move over was my memory since my old machine was DDR2 and this one is DDR3. Just so I could get it up and running and make sure everything works ok I got some cheapo DDR3 1333mhz ram of craigslist. When I run the test my speeds are only averaging around 6870MB/s. Isn't that fairly slow for DDR3? I had one test go just above 10000MB/s but that was it. I know it's possible that the ram is just cheap and not very fast, but still should it be that slow? My DDR2 800Mhz wasn't that far behind it.
The speed is likely to be limited by the motherboard and its bios settings. I doubt if the Dell would allow you much flexibility in changing timings and Vdimm to maximize your DDR3 ram.
Yeah I know there's not much I can do with the board, but I don't want to mess with OC'ing anyways. I don't game or anything. It just seems like the numbers are still low for what the should be though. My parents computer has the same speed ram and it averages around 14000MB/s.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Apr 2010   #614

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 View Post
Hi, I have just a few questions to ask. I picked up a Dell XPS 430 barebones the other day and was able to move my cpu and everything over just fine. The only thing I couldn't move over was my memory since my old machine was DDR2 and this one is DDR3. Just so I could get it up and running and make sure everything works ok I got some cheapo DDR3 1333mhz ram of craigslist. When I run the test my speeds are only averaging around 6870MB/s. Isn't that fairly slow for DDR3? I had one test go just above 10000MB/s but that was it. I know it's possible that the ram is just cheap and not very fast, but still should it be that slow? My DDR2 800Mhz wasn't that far behind it.
The speed is likely to be limited by the motherboard and its bios settings. I doubt if the Dell would allow you much flexibility in changing timings and Vdimm to maximize your DDR3 ram.
Yeah I know there's not much I can do with the board, but I don't want to mess with OC'ing anyways. I don't game or anything. It just seems like the numbers are still low for what the should be though. My parents computer has the same speed ram and it averages around 14000MB/s.
It's highly unlikely that it is a problem with your memory. If the memory was faulty you would get an immediate error or blue screen or some of it would not be recognized. The memory can only work as fast as the motherboard and its bios settings (in your case the default settings) allow it.

On the other hand if your parents computer is identical to yours then clearly you have a problem tied to your bios. Have you considered updating your bios from Dell?

Unless you are trying to squeeze out the maximum from your PC, slow memory is not the end of the world. The overall performance of the PC is far more important.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #615

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post
I'm so ashamed to put my numbers up. It is the slowest in the whole world.
Is it time for me to get another computer or what?
4,4,4, 12, 2T
Memory performance, while important, is overrated. As long as your PC meets your needs and operates smoothly, that's all that matters. It's only when the system starts to misbehave or is unable to handle your preferred software that memory and other issues need to be examined and adjustments made.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #616

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 



3GB DDR2 (two modules 2GB - 1GB) PC2-6400 (400MHz)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #617

windows 7 64b
 
 

6 gb DDR3 1600
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #618

Windows 7 Professional x64 6.1 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyeskm View Post

The speed is likely to be limited by the motherboard and its bios settings. I doubt if the Dell would allow you much flexibility in changing timings and Vdimm to maximize your DDR3 ram.
Yeah I know there's not much I can do with the board, but I don't want to mess with OC'ing anyways. I don't game or anything. It just seems like the numbers are still low for what the should be though. My parents computer has the same speed ram and it averages around 14000MB/s.
It's highly unlikely that it is a problem with your memory. If the memory was faulty you would get an immediate error or blue screen or some of it would not be recognized. The memory can only work as fast as the motherboard and its bios settings (in your case the default settings) allow it.

On the other hand if your parents computer is identical to yours then clearly you have a problem tied to your bios. Have you considered updating your bios from Dell?

Unless you are trying to squeeze out the maximum from your PC, slow memory is not the end of the world. The overall performance of the PC is far more important.
No theirs is a different computer. Oh well it's not a big deal. It is still performing good, I guess I was just expecting it to be a little bit higher. Especially since I ran one test that was able to get over 10000MB/s.

One thing I did notice though is that CPU-Z on my comp shows it as Dual Symmetric, while my Parents shows it as Dual Unganged. Is there a difference between the two?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #619

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

Dual memory sticks are linked memory banks that are accessed by one controller. This allows them higher bandwidth. Generally the greater bandwidth does not necessarily improve overall performance. On the other hand unganged memory allows both memories to directly link to separate controllers on the motherboard. Theoretically, unganged memory can have greater efficiency since each controller can access each memory group separately. Practically speaking, these differences are negligible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #620

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote:
Can someone tell me if thats any good? lol
If it isnt, what can i do to make it faster?
@Aksps: I have the same RAM, try tweaking the timings, here are my settings for orientation...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What's your memory assessment speed?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What's your memory assessment speed?
Thread Forum
What's your memory assessment speed? [2] Performance & Maintenance
Memory speed - wrong memory??? Hardware & Devices
Memory speed Performance & Maintenance
What's your hard drive assessment speed? Performance & Maintenance
Memory speed in the bios Hardware & Devices
Memory Assessment Speed Performance & Maintenance
Memory speed Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33