Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's your memory assessment speed?

01 Feb 2010   #481
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chimel View Post

Guys, you shouldn't attach (ridiculously small) pictures in this thread really, there's only one value to answer this thread.
???

Perhaps try clicking the pics...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2010   #482
ZaLiTH

Win7 Ult x64 / Win8.1 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 14.10 x64
 
 

@ smarteyeball: Got a bit of a random question for you; I was looking at your winsat stats on the previous page (above my first post in this thread), and I can't help but wonder something... Which would you say contributes more to the access speed of your memory, the fact that it's DDR3 or that it's in triple channel?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm already starting to plan my next PC build, even though I'm not quite finished with my current machine, but I'm a big fan of AMD, so (Unless I'm mistaken and they do support it on AM3 for example) I'll lose out on the tri-channel setup...

Have you ever checked your RAM access speeds in dual-channel mode on your current setup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #483
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
@ smarteyeball: Got a bit of a random question for you; I was looking at your winsat stats on the previous page (above my first post in this thread), and I can't help but wonder something... Which would you say contributes more to the access speed of your memory, the fact that it's DDR3 or that it's in triple channel?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm already starting to plan my next PC build, even though I'm not quite finished with my current machine, but I'm a big fan of AMD, so (Unless I'm mistaken and they do support it on AM3 for example) I'll lose out on the tri-channel setup...

Have you ever checked your RAM access speeds in dual-channel mode on your current setup?
AM3 is dual channel and no, I haven't tested mine in dual channel.

Basicaly I would say DDR3 contributes more to the overall 'speed' simply because it is capable of achieving a higher clockspeed over DDR2. Cas Latencies also play a big part in it too.

There is still some debate to whether tri-channel actually offers any 'real world' performance advantage over dual-channel and the general consensus is that it doesn't.

So if it's access speed you are concerned with, basically go for the highest mhz you can afford with the lowest stock Cas Latencies. ie 1333mhz CL7 or 1600mhz CL7/8


If you plan to overclock, you will have more 'head room' with a higher rated mhz ie 1600mhz

Going Above 1600mhz, is really only for those aiming for very high OC's.

Outside of mega-overclocks, the only real advantage to buying a 2x2GB DDR3 2000mhz kit would be to run them at a lower speed with tighter timings.

I wouldn't be too concerned about dual vs tri channel.

The only 'real' difference so far, is in synthetic benchmarks.

Hope that helped
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Feb 2010   #484
ZaLiTH

Win7 Ult x64 / Win8.1 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 14.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Hope that helped
That it did, thanks... Reading reviews is all good and well, but not all of them actually give people's personal opinions on matters, that's why I like to ask around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #485
smarteyeball

 
 

No worries mate, happy to help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #486
Chimel

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate English + language kits
 
 

@ smarteyeball: I only meant that there is no need for a screenshot if the only information is a number, people can as well paste the score so it's directly readable in the post, rather than forcing readers to click on the picture of each post. I don't see anything of value in the screenshots other than the score, unless I am missing something? Not a big deal, though, that was just my 2 centavos.

@ ZaLiTH: Thanks, I just checked CPU-Z. Seems to be a little buggy, though, it reports 4 modules installed in slots 1 to 4, when I definitely have only 2 x 2GB DDR2 modules (G-Skill PC2-6400 @ 400MHz).
I'll check my mobo manual to see if I can boost this memory score in winsat & WEI, 400MHz seems pretty slow, but then, it's a 3yo computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #487
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chimel View Post
@ smarteyeball: I only meant that there is no need for a screenshot if the only information is a number, people can as well paste the score so it's directly readable in the post, rather than forcing readers to click on the picture of each post. I don't see anything of value in the screenshots other than the score, unless I am missing something? Not a big deal, though, that was just my 2 centavos.
No worries mate. I understand where you are coming from. You do have a point when it comes to winsat scores.

However when coupled with screenshots of other apps, it's sometimes it's easier and beneficial for others to 'see for themselves'. Plus it negates any 'fake scores' that the occasional person likes to post

(P.S I find it's actually quicker to right click on the pic> and open in new tab)

Quote:
I definitely have only 2 x 2GB DDR2 modules (G-Skill PC2-6400 @ 400MHz).
I'll check my mobo manual to see if I can boost this memory score in winsat & WEI, 400MHz seems pretty slow, but then, it's a 3yo computer.
Where is it being reported as 400mhz? Don't forget that DDR2 is Double Double Rate so therefore 400*2=800mhz actual.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2010   #488
ZaLiTH

Win7 Ult x64 / Win8.1 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 14.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote:
I definitely have only 2 x 2GB DDR2 modules (G-Skill PC2-6400 @ 400MHz).
I'll check my mobo manual to see if I can boost this memory score in winsat & WEI, 400MHz seems pretty slow, but then, it's a 3yo computer.
Where is it being reported as 400mhz? Don't forget that DDR2 is Double Double Rate so therefore 400*2=800mhz actual.
Dang... You beat me to it. I had already opened up a quote in a new tab when I scrolled down and saw this... Lol.

By the way Chimel, just to set your mind at ease, CPU-z isn't actually that buggy... It shows mine as 440MHz for my RAM (DDR2-800 over clocked from 400MHz). But as smarteyeball said, being DDR the effective speed is twice that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2010   #489
Chimel

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate English + language kits
 
 

@ZaLiTH: I didn't mean buggy about the speed, just about the slots:
I have 2 modules in 2 slots, leaving 2 slots empty, but CPU-Z says all 4 slots are used.
When I select Slot #1 to #4 in the CPU-Z drop-down list (attached), it shows 2GB in each.

@smarteyeball, ZaLiTH: You're right about the DDR2 actual speed, but CPU-Z says only 400 MHz (in the "Max Bandwidth" field attached), I would expect such a system tool to do the computation for me. Now, let's see, 2 times 400, where's my calculator? ^-^


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2010   #490
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Memory

here is some for comparison.

Attachment 51940

Attachment 51941
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What's your memory assessment speed?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What's your memory assessment speed? [2]
Continued from - http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/5400-whats-your-memory-assessment-speed.html I decided to open a thread to show what people are getting with there current memory settings, what improvements are shown with various timing tweaks, speed settings ect. to access...
Performance & Maintenance
CPU Speed, BCLK and Memory Speed: Boot failure.
Probably I am in the right section for this issue. If not, please move it. A couple of days ago I changed the motherboard and processor, but not the RAM as the RAM is apparently compatible with that board as stated in GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-B85M-D3H (rev. 1.0/1.1) ... Now, I...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Memory speed - wrong memory???
Hi. I am hoping you can help with an issue I am having with memory in my sons PC. It does not seem to be running as good since I installed 16gig of memory. Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 Processor - AMD FX-4100 @ 3.60 GHz It had 1 4gig stick of Kingston KVR1333D3N9 but I...
Hardware & Devices
What's your hard drive assessment speed?
I'm curious to see what other people are getting for their WEI disk scores. I would like to see all types and combinations of drives to see how they differ in performance. If possible try to keep HDTach/HDTune/etc. scores to a minimum as there is another thread for that. Some general questions...
Performance & Maintenance
Memory Assessment Speed
Just a curious question; I ran winsat mem a couple of weeks ago and got a 13600+ read. Ran it today and got 15985 read. Only system change was adding a Radeon 6670 Video card. Does memory speed change this much ? What might cause the disparity ?
Performance & Maintenance
Memory speed
I have 4 Gb of corsair 1600MHz C9 DDR3 memory installed on an Asus Crosshair III Formula 790FX motherboard. The motherboard specs said that it supported 1600 MHz memory, yet the memory is only running at 1333 MHz. Do I need to OC the M/board in someway to get the full speed out of the memory...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App