Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Is it possible to defrag when creating new files?

21 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 
Is it possible to defrag when creating new files?

Hi there folks, just wanted to ask a possibly silly but important (to me anyway) question about using an auto-defrag program (Windows 7 or other)? Can you really run a defrag program running in the background when you are creating files all the time?? It seems to me that it's defeating the whole object about defragging at all!! I may be risking the wrath of many an expert but please feel free to comment as I cannot see the point in it at all.....cheers friends

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jan 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

I think you can, but the real question would be why take the chance to screw things up . Wait until evening when the computer is not working to defrag.
I think the chances are a million to one that you made screw things up during the defrag but I think MS defrag is smarter than that. Wait to do it.

My 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Cheers Iggy and thanks for your 2 cents, although what I should have said was I know that Windows defrag is usually set to run in the background by default, although I and a million others will have disabled that but those that haven't will be running it in the background whilst creating files merrily all day without another thought for it, so do you think that it's a complete waste of time to have it running and will it cause any problems? As you said I do only ever run it when I am not using this thing but a lot of people will not!!

P.S. Can you keep adding your 2 cents until I get a few dollars worth?? We brits need the cash you know, cheers!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kenrolli View Post
Cheers Iggy and thanks for your 2 cents, although what I should have said was I know that Windows defrag is usually set to run in the background by default, although I and a million others will have disabled that but those that haven't will be running it in the background whilst creating files merrily all day without another thought for it, so do you think that it's a complete waste of time to have it running and will it cause any problems? As you said I do only ever run it when I am not using this thing but a lot of people will not!!

P.S. Can you keep adding your 2 cents until I get a few dollars worth?? We brits need the cash you know, cheers!!!

My 2 cents keep adding up for my holiday in June.
I will drop a few in London to help out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2010   #5

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

There is absolutly not a single reason in the world to disable the background defragging in Win 7. No, it will not cause any problems for the background Defrag to be running while you are working in Windows,, it is specifically designed to do so.

Maybe this will help with understanding it better.....
Engineering Windows 7 : Disk Defragmentation ? Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Cheers Tepid, in my country you'd be known as luke-warm!!! Thanks for the advice and link, I may even re-enable my auto-defrag I am well impressed, thanks again for taking time to comment, also thanks to you Iggy from the cool part of Arizona, wish I was there am sick of the snow and cold!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2010   #7

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kenrolli View Post
Hi there folks, just wanted to ask a possibly silly but important (to me anyway) question about using an auto-defrag program (Windows 7 or other)? Can you really run a defrag program running in the background when you are creating files all the time?? It seems to me that it's defeating the whole object about defragging at all!! I may be risking the wrath of many an expert but please feel free to comment as I cannot see the point in it at all.....cheers friends
my browser runs better when defrags running

go figure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2010   #8

Windows 7 64 bit build 7600
 
 

no defrag doesn't cause any damage when creating new files. There are new files added to the hard disk ALL THE TIME (page file, temporary files, etc.). This happens even when there is defrag. You can run a browser while defrag is running. Temporary files are downloaded every second yet defrag isn't affected and ickymay's system isn't corrupted.
I just don't think microsoft is idiotic enough to create a program that can corrupt the hard drive and not leave a warning. Besides, if you cannot create new files while defraging, the only way to defrag is a pre-boot environment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 - OEM Service Pack 1
 
 

I guess when running the defrag and adding files it will probably take a lot long to defrag though, I use this free little program and have it set to run when I am sleeping I find it does a better job than the built in defrag program


Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks


Steve
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by steve-pressman View Post
I guess when running the defrag and adding files it will probably take a lot long to defrag though, I use this free little program and have it set to run when I am sleeping I find it does a better job than the built in defrag program

Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks

Steve
Steve please don't jump on my for this question.
Why and how do you determine that this FREE software does a better defrag job?
I know what a defraggers purpose is but how can you tell that one is better than another?

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it possible to defrag when creating new files?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is it possible to defrag when creating new files?
Thread Forum
Auslogics Disk Defrag vs IObit Smart Defrag Software
Creating a Files log deletion General Discussion
Solved Need to defrag files to front of disk to make room for new partition Installation & Setup
Does Puran Defrag 7.3 Free work with Windows 7 Defrag disabled ? Software
Does Windows Defrag defrag system files? Performance & Maintenance
Defrag locked files Performance & Maintenance
Mystery in the defrag of boot files General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33