Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop doesn't turn on/charge anymore

02 Feb 2010   #1
Prince

Windows 7 ultimate
 
 
Laptop doesn't turn on/charge anymore

Hi,

I'm having a common issue I would say. Last time I used my laptop was this afternoon to watch a short clip on youtube, I turned it off right after and I remember it was at 17%, although I have the power button to shut down right away. A few hours ago, I decided to turn it and and surprised I noticed it didn't turn on. I tried to plug my A/C adapter to charge it a couple of minute but the lightning light didn't even show up. I've google'd around and found a way to hard reset it ( Remove the battery/adapter/ hold the power button 30 sec) no success still. I'm wondering if it's either the adapter or the battery is dead, as I don't have any spare of both right now is there a way to confirm it?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #2
Vino Rosso

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Hi

There's usually a small light on the power adaptor... is it on? If not, it's probably dead. Try another main lead.
If the light is on, remove the battery from the laptop and connect the power adaptor. Does the laptop turn on?
If not, try the reset again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #3
Prince

Windows 7 ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vino Rosso View Post
Hi

There's usually a small light on the power adaptor... is it on? If not, it's probably dead. Try another main lead.
If the light is on, remove the battery from the laptop and connect the power adaptor. Does the laptop turn on?
If not, try the reset again.
Thanks for the answer, actually there's no light on from the adapter. I'm not even sure if this adapter has usually a light. Look like this.

http://www.laptop-battery.us/images/...Pin-inside.jpg

PS: Nothing boot up at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #4
clunkfish

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Is the lead from the wall to the power adapter good? Some things to check/try:
  1. Does the lead from the wall to the power adapter have a fuse? If so, has that blown?
  2. Is the wall outlet OK - do other things plugged in there work OK?
  3. Have you a multimeter you can use to check that there is a voltage at the plug that comes out of the adapter?
  4. You could also use the meter to check that mains voltage is being delivered to the adapter, but only if you know what you are doing and take appropriate precautions!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #5
Vino Rosso

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

If there's a light, it'll be on the other side to the label. It'll be small and probably in one of the corners, usually near the DC output.

If you look at >this one< you can just see the small light at the far end of the adaptor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #6
Prince

Windows 7 ultimate
 
 

Well, I'm coming back from Staples, the technician tech tried my laptop with a new adapter but it didn't turn on still ( With and without the battery). So he told me that my motherboard is over, would there be others possibilites?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #7
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Well, I'm coming back from Staples, the technician tech tried my laptop with a new adapter but it didn't turn on still ( With and without the battery). So he told me that my motherboard is over, would there be others possibilites?
There are other reasons why the battery might not charge.

The battery could be bad, and the power supply could also cause the issue.

I can't imagine why the motherboard would cause the issue.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose issues like this, without physically testing the hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #8
TheTeZ

Windows 7 -x6
 
 

sounds like my laptop right after a surge hit it.... nothing strange with the power going in, but i guess thats what surge protectors are for :-/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #9
Prince

Windows 7 ultimate
 
 

In fact, I actually think that it might be the battery, as mine didn't last for like more then 1h and a half. I'll try to get a spare battery. By the way it's a CQ50 104ca, are there others compatible batteries that I could use to try it on?

PS: I doubt it's the battery as the laptop would had turned on with the adapter in without the battery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #10
Gakinchi

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Well, I'm coming back from Staples, the technician tech tried my laptop with a new adapter but it didn't turn on still ( With and without the battery). So he told me that my motherboard is over, would there be others possibilites?
There are other reasons why the battery might not charge.

The battery could be bad, and the power supply could also cause the issue.

I can't imagine why the motherboard would cause the issue.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose issues like this, without physically testing the hardware.
Otherwise it could've been a motherboard with it's own DC-jack in, integrated to the whole motherboard that could be defect. by the way open Poster, might I know what model it is? HP / Compaq / Packard Bell / Fujitsu etc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop doesn't turn on/charge anymore




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Laptop doesn't turn on/charge anymore
Thread Forum
My Laptop Wont charge General Discussion
Please help, I can't turn my laptop on anymore! Performance & Maintenance
my Laptop battery Acer Aspire One D250 won't charge to 100 Hardware & Devices
Asus laptop battery won't charge Hardware & Devices
Laptop shut's down when charge is pulled out or plugged in? General Discussion
Laptop dies with 80% charge Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App