Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is My Ram Usage Normal?


03 Feb 2010   #11

Win 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
As a little study tour, do the following:

1. Start Task Manager > Performance Tab
2. Cick on Performance Monitor (bottom right), Memory tab
3. On the bottom half you see a bar in color for the different RAM uses - hover over it and it will give you some clues about the RAM (only the grey and the green parts are really in use - the rest is "available", the orange awaits to be written out)
4. Have a look at the upper part of the page where it says " Hard Faults" - you probably only see "Hard F". If that row is all zeros or small numbers, you are in good shape. That means you have no page faults and run at maximum speed.
whs,
I did what you asked and got the following:

(as attachment)

As a not there were no faults on the page, I guess I'm looking ok then?

Thanks again for your help, this forum is awesome!

Robb




Attached Thumbnails
Is My Ram Usage Normal?-2398804840062074462crjbsh_fs.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Feb 2010   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Robb, you are in great shape. Half of your RAM is free and another big part is cached but "available". You have miles to go before you will ever get a RAM problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #13

windows 7
 
 
why does win7 pro use all my cpu but not my full 2g ram

My PC is using 35% of my 2 gigs of ram even when my cpu is burning up at 100%.

what could be causing this? Is my ram bad? I am using amd64 3400+ 2.2gB with Windows 7 pro 32.

Windows 7 looks great and is running but CPU is running very hot and memory is not being used which could help reduce the cpu use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Apr 2010   #14

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wolfblind View Post
My PC is using 35% of my 2 gigs of ram even when my cpu is burning up at 100%.

what could be causing this? Is my ram bad? I am using amd64 3400+ 2.2gB with Windows 7 pro 32.

Windows 7 looks great and is running but CPU is running very hot and memory is not being used which could help reduce the cpu use.
Filling out your system specs (here: http://www.sevenforums.com/profile.php?do=extra) would help us help you.

RAM and CPU's are different, your computer isn't using more RAM because it likely doesn't need to. Whatever is using your CPU only needs your CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

is sounds alittle high but not bad, u could try getting rid of norton and get something better and more light like avast. also u have itunes helper running u can get rid of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Krispy1 View Post
is sounds alittle high but not bad, u could try getting rid of norton and get something better and more light like avast. also u have itunes helper running u can get rid of that.
There is no need to skimp on RAM. You might as well use what you have, and 35% usage is quite normal. What do you want to do with the unused RAM - Save it for a rainy day?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2011   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Related matter

Hi..

I stumbled upon this thread so i thought I'd just reply here instead of making a new one.

I just got this Alienware laptop (i7 2720, 8GB RAM, 3GB nVIDIA M555).. during the first week ram usage hardly reached 2GB (was between 1.6-1.8 with Firefox or Chrome on) when the laptop was idle. However, after i installed some windows updates and Microsoft Office suit it went up to 2.4GB while idle, 2.9 when i start Firefox and sometimes it continues to increase. This unexplained increase is really bugging me and want to know if this is common/normal occurrence?

Thanks!
(screenie attached


Attached Thumbnails
Is My Ram Usage Normal?-untitled.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2011   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Hello ice 77x and welcome to Seven Forums.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Krispy1 View Post
is sounds alittle high but not bad, u could try getting rid of norton and get something better and more light like avast. also u have itunes helper running u can get rid of that.
There is no need to skimp on RAM. You might as well use what you have, and 35% usage is quite normal. What do you want to do with the unused RAM - Save it for a rainy day?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ice77x View Post
Hi..

I stumbled upon this thread so i thought I'd just reply here instead of making a new one.

I just got this Alienware laptop (i7 2720, 8GB RAM, 3GB nVIDIA M555).. during the first week ram usage hardly reached 2GB (was between 1.6-1.8 with Firefox or Chrome on) when the laptop was idle. However, after i installed some windows updates and Microsoft Office suit it went up to 2.4GB while idle, 2.9 when i start Firefox and sometimes it continues to increase. This unexplained increase is really bugging me and want to know if this is common/normal occurrence?

Thanks!
(screenie attached
As whs said in the post prior to yours, what do you want to do with the unused RAM? Save it for a rainy day? Windows 7 uses RAM differently than previous Windows operating systems. If RAM is available, it makes use of it. I have 8GB RAM on a Sony Vaio and it pretty much uses 2.5GB right after startup. I also have a Dell Vostro with 4GB RAM, and it uses about 1.5-1.8GB at startup. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You may find some of these comments on a Microsoft forum interesting.

How much RAM is usage is normal?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2011   #19
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

marsmimar is right. Your Resource Monitor graph is completely normal. Nothing to worry about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2013   #20

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.
 
 
Please help me. It takes long time to boot.

how about mine?

I seriously think there's some problem.
Please help me. It takes long time to boot.
Is My Ram Usage Normal?-ram-usage.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is My Ram Usage Normal?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is My Ram Usage Normal?
Thread Forum
Is this normal CPU Usage? Performance & Maintenance
Normal Ram usage & too many processes?! Hardware & Devices
Solved Normal windows 7 RAM usage Performance & Maintenance
This can't be normal, can't it? (low CPU usage) Performance & Maintenance
Normal RAM Usage ? Performance & Maintenance
normal resource usage? Performance & Maintenance
What is the normal RAM usage? Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33