Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Vaio SZ Laptop - Slow with Vista and 7 - faster HDD??


08 Feb 2010   #1

Vista Business for now
 
 
Vaio SZ Laptop - Slow with Vista and 7 - faster HDD??

My 2 year old Vaio SZ laptop became fairly sluggish with Vista so I have recently tried Windows 7 - and I'm just not finding it much faster! Also due to no Sony driver support it also freezes at times.

I think though I have identified the bottleneck, the HDD. The 5200Rpm Toshiba drive hits about 44 MB/s in HD Tune and for not much more money one can pick up a drive the hits 80 Mb/s now!

I was considering installing XP but on realising this I'm willing to bet a clean Vista install on a new HDD will be a major improvement, with the OS differences being minimal.

What do you think?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amdowney View Post
My 2 year old Vaio SZ laptop became fairly sluggish with Vista so I have recently tried Windows 7 - and I'm just not finding it much faster! Also due to no Sony driver support it also freezes at times.

I think though I have identified the bottleneck, the HDD. The 5200Rpm Toshiba drive hits about 44 MB/s in HD Tune and for not much more money one can pick up a drive the hits 80 Mb/s now!

I was considering installing XP but on realising this I'm willing to bet a clean Vista install on a new HDD will be a major improvement, with the OS differences being minimal.

What do you think?
Definitely do a clean install of Windows 7. As for missing drivers, which ones? We have a fine track record of finding drivers here! Also, consider getting an external enclosure for your old HDD. They can be had for about $20 and you can still get some use out of the old drive as a data/backup device.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #3

Vista Business for now
 
 

Sure but do you not think that upgrading the HDD will make the biggest improvement? I may be OK with Vista on the laptop and not need to shell out - tests show Windows 7 is marginally faster than Vista no?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amdowney View Post
Sure but do you not think that upgrading the HDD will make the biggest improvement? I may be OK with Vista on the laptop and not need to shell out - tests show Windows 7 is marginally faster than Vista no?
On older hardware 7 is markedly faster than Vista. Test it for yourself on the new HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

A new 7200rpm HD will make a significant difference, so get one bought and stick Windows 7 on it. And yes Sony support is quite poor, but due to the excellent user support found online, the majority of issues are quickly resolved.

Windows 7 Build 7000 on my Vaio SZ680
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

I also get the freeze with Windows 7 32 bit with all the Sony Vista drivers installed. I still find it faster than Vista and XP though. I have tried all 3 OS's with identically installed programs and 7 wins hands down. Just once a day or less it freezes and needs a hard reset.
Sony should be ashamed really.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solarboy View Post
I also get the freeze with Windows 7 32 bit with all the Sony Vista drivers installed. I still find it faster than Vista and XP though. I have tried all 3 OS's with identically installed programs and 7 wins hands down. Just once a day or less it freezes and needs a hard reset.
Sony should be ashamed really.
Hard freezes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 32bit
 
 
Yes Hard Freezes

They are very random, sometimes various times per day, sometimes not for weeks, but always when scrolling in Firefox. The mouse pointer will freeze but everything will stay on screen, there will be no hard disc activity at all, Ctrl Alt Del does nothing, pressing the power button does nothing. I am forced to hold down the power button. Sometimes on reboot the OS runs Checkdisk, and/or asks if I want to start in safe mode. No errors are recorded in any system logs, it's as if someone pulled the battery out. Strangley I didn't get them with the Beta or the RC or build 7048, just the RTM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solarboy View Post
They are very random, sometimes various times per day, sometimes not for weeks, but always when scrolling in Firefox. The mouse pointer will freeze but everything will stay on screen, there will be no hard disc activity at all, Ctrl Alt Del does nothing, pressing the power button does nothing. I am forced to hold down the power button. Sometimes on reboot the OS runs Checkdisk, and/or asks if I want to start in safe mode. No errors are recorded in any system logs, it's as if someone pulled the battery out. Strangley I didn't get them with the Beta or the RC or build 7048, just the RTM.
Did you upgrade to 7 or clean install? If its an upgrade, clean format 7 and then install the latest 7 drivers from Sony's website.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Sadly, Sony didn't provide drivers for this model, even though it is less than 2 years old. They recommend using the Vista drivers but say they provide no support for this. MS provided some drivers through Windows update but some of them break functionality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Vaio SZ Laptop - Slow with Vista and 7 - faster HDD??




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Vaio SZ Laptop - Slow with Vista and 7 - faster HDD??
Thread Forum
programs load muich faster in vista than win7? General Discussion
vaio laptop slow downloads speeds Network & Sharing
Upgrade to Win7 from Vista Sony Vaio Laptop VGN-CS14 G/B Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 growing faster than Vista, overtakes Mac OS X News
Win7 as slow as Vista on laptop. Better with XP? General Discussion
7 faster than vista? - a tiny bit maybe General Discussion
Windows 7 May Not Be Much Faster Than Vista News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33