Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: performance question

18 Feb 2010   #1
carl606

windows vista home premium
 
 
performance question

Hello guys...

Well i finally got windows seven yesterday, and just set this laptop up this morning.
I am one for optimizing the computer, and even thought it probably has enough system memory to run alot of things at once (3gb) i tend to turn most things off..
disable startup programs, turn off processes etc..

It has a load of startup programs running , which i have just disabled, i haven't got to the "services" or "services.msc" to disable any uneeded services yet, plus i normally download "autoruns" and find out about anything that does not need to run.

so is there anything in windows 7 that can be turned of or disabled, things that are completly useless, that the majority of people turn off..

O the one thing i have just stopped right away was the indexing service.......

thanks for any tips guys....

Windows 7, home premium


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Feb 2010   #2
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

The RAM is fine for a lappy! You didnt mention are you running 32 or 64 bit?

Disabling startup items is always the first place to start. Personally I havent had to tweak Win7 other than that... it's that fast and that good!

Welcome to the SevenForums!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carl606 View Post
Hello guys...

Well i finally got windows seven yesterday, and just set this laptop up this morning.
I am one for optimizing the computer, and even thought it probably has enough system memory to run alot of things at once (3gb) i tend to turn most things off..
disable startup programs, turn off processes etc..

It has a load of startup programs running , which i have just disabled, i haven't got to the "services" or "services.msc" to disable any uneeded services yet, plus i normally download "autoruns" and find out about anything that does not need to run.

so is there anything in windows 7 that can be turned of or disabled, things that are completly useless, that the majority of people turn off..

O the one thing i have just stopped right away was the indexing service.......

thanks for any tips guys....

Windows 7, home premium
Welcome,

I understand you want a fast boot and all but read this before you do anything.
start up problems plz help - Vista Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Feb 2010   #4
carl606

windows vista home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
The RAM is fine for a lappy! You didnt mention are you running 32 or 64 bit?

Disabling startup items is always the first place to start. Personally I havent had to tweak Win7 other than that... it's that fast and that good!

Welcome to the SevenForums!

Yeah, sorry darryl Licht, its 32 bit.
Just put that in my signature, yes that was the first place i started.
hundreds of startup programs in there, disabled most of them, its just the bungled software mostly, i'll probably search the forum for tips...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #5
carl606

windows vista home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post

Welcome,

I understand you want a fast boot and all but read this before you do anything.
start up problems plz help - Vista Forums
Interesting richc46...
I have used msconfig in the past without any problems, i normally use defender or autoruns, but have not put them on yet.
O by the way can you download defender for windows 7, i have got quite used to that on the vista machine...

I should have waited till i got defender or autoruns or even winpatrol, to disable these programs, there just anoying i do know what all of them are, and if necessary i will just use the program from the start menu.

But no, i have just used msconfig now to uncheck about 15 items, most articals i see tell you that you can do this, but i don't know how or why that particular problem occured in the link.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

I agree, I do not understand how all that trouble can be caused by going to msconfig. Did you read the end of the thread? Robin brought the computer in for paid repair and they gave up. I think Robin did more than was reported. But, in any event, be careful. You are always welcome at the Forum, but we want you here giving information and not because you have problems.

Regarding your question about defender, the only defender that I am acquainted with is this:
Windows Defender: Home Page

Which is something entirely different than what you are asking. But, I can tell you that Autoruns is a highly respected software in this Forum. It is simple to use and efficient.

Although I do not know the answer to every question, if you could give me a link to defender, I am proficient in getting information relative to Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #7
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Ok did a little research for you. It appears that we are talking about the same defender, but it no longer has the feature that you mentioned.

Read this thread. Talks about different methods of disabling start up items. About half way through, in the post they mention Defender, you may be interested.

Startup Programs - Change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #8
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Finally, another article of interest. It contains a great idea. Do not disable any services, set them to manual, so that you can use them if ever needed. I just learned, because of your question. What a great Forum.

Startup Faster in Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #9
carl606

windows vista home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I agree, I do not understand how all that trouble can be caused by going to msconfig. Did you read the end of the thread? Robin brought the computer in for paid repair and they gave up. I think Robin did more than was reported. But, in any event, be careful. You are always welcome at the Forum, but we want you here giving information and not because you have problems.

Regarding your question about defender, the only defender that I am acquainted with is this:
Windows Defender: Home Page

.
Quote:
Regarding your question about defender, the only defender that I am acquainted with is this:
ARR yes i think i am with you on that one "done more that was reported"

Yes it is windows defender, which is turned of in windows 7, i found the folder in program files.

Its just asked me if i want to turn it on...i'll do that in a bit



Quote:
but we want you here giving information and not because you have problems.
I have not got any problems, i was just after some info









Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Ok did a little research for you. It appears that we are talking about the same defender, but it no longer has the feature that you mentioned.

Read this thread. Talks about different methods of disabling start up items. About half way through, in the post they mention Defender, you may be interested.

Startup Programs - Change
I have just found the folder in program files "windows defender" but i carn't see it in the start menu > all programs

just turned it on now, so windows 7 does have this feature rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #10
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Yes Defender is part of Winows 7, but it does not serve the function that you referred to. Mine is turned off. It my opinion, which is in agreement with the link that I left, that it no longer performs the function that you need. It now serves as a defense against malware, only.

I suggest that you use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes for your defense. If you do, Defender turns off automatially, since it is no longer needed. M Security Essentials has replaced its function in addition to being an A/V.

MSE and Malwarebytes are highly recommended in this Forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 performance question




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Question about GPU Performance
Hello, I'm CrazyKilla sorry for the very uninformative title but i couldn't fit a good title. Anyway, I am wondering, I've seen many videos and reviews of graphics cards, one being the Nvidia GTX 680, it is one of the best cards in the world. Anyway, take this video for example: NVIDIA GeForce...
Graphic Cards
SSD Performance Question
I have an OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Edition 120G SSD. I use PefectDisk defragmentor to maintain my con ventional HDD's. I do NOT ever use PefectDisk to defrag my SSD drive. The analyze function of PefectDisk tells me that my SSD drives performance at 84%. I have been using the drive now for about 6...
Performance & Maintenance
Question about BF3 performance
I have been reading reviews about BF3 performance and have been left with some questions. According to what I have read, with my current set up, I should only be getting around 20fps with high settings, aa off and @1080p. I am getting more like high 30s to low 60s. Is there any logical reason...
Gaming
HD Performance Question
As to performance and reliability what would be the better (not in cost) One - OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive Two - Western Digital VelociRaptors 150GB 16MB Cache Hard Disk Drive (in a RAID 0 configuration) Any advice appreciated :)
Hardware & Devices
I have a question concerning a low performance (RAM) on my Pc?
Hi Guys, I have some concerns about the performance of my Pc. My computer has Windows 7 (64 Bit) installed and 6 Gb of Memory (RAM) in it. The first thing I'm wondering is that I have a bunch of programs (18) pin in the Taskbar and I would like to know if it takes a lot of memories just to have...
Performance & Maintenance
Performance question
Hi just recently downloaded Widnows 7.. When I'm operating on battery it seems as if the battery is dying really, really quickly compared to when I had Vista. I think one of the problems is that I can't seem to dim the brightness of the screen at all. Is there a way to do this beyond the...
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App