Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Overheating


24 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Upgrade)
 
 
System Overheating

I'm running on an AMD Phenom 9850 X4 2.5 GHz (complete system info in profile). The SYSTIN and CPUTIN fluctuated between 100C - 103C and 50C - 60C respectively, whereas the AUXTIN pretty much remains at a steady 114C. Cores 1 - 4 go through the ranges of 45C to 60C. How much of an issue are these temperatures for AMD systems?

*Temp. ratings are via System Information for Windows (2010 v.)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

I'm really not sure what the labels to the numbers mean, here are some options anyway:
Option.1) If the system is still under warranty, take it back for checkup, repair or replacement. Option.2a) Check to see if you have both front intake and rear exhaust case fans installed and running, buy what you don't have. Option.2b) Dust out computer with compressed air can. Option.2c) Buy a better aftermarket CPU heatsink.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

those temps are to high. it's likely just clogged vents so clean those out first if it's an older system. but if your still covered in warrenty i'd seriously consider returning it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Mar 2010   #4

windows7
 
 

This reply is BS,all nvidea cards are overheating in windows 7 it is nothing to do with dust,dirt,silica compound,fans or any thing else,I have built two computers now one with a dual core amd cpu the other with a quad core amd cpu.
Both ran cool under windows xp 64 bit os, both have oveheated,to the extent of cooking a very expensive dual graphics card,under windows 7.
Playing games on a games oriented machine,is impossible,due to crashing,caused by oveheating cpu snd graphics cards.
It's time microsoft got it sorted,it's not a cheap os to start with then to have it cook your hardware is not funny.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #5

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ruffian1 View Post
This reply is BS, all nvidea cards are overheating in windows 7 it is nothing to do with dust,dirt,silica compound,fans or any thing else,I have built two computers now one with a dual core amd cpu the other with a quad core amd cpu.
Both ran cool under windows xp 64 bit os, both have oveheated,to the extent of cooking a very expensive dual graphics card,under windows 7.
Playing games on a games oriented machine,is impossible,due to crashing,caused by oveheating cpu snd graphics cards.
It's time microsoft got it sorted,it's not a cheap os to start with then to have it cook your hardware is not funny.
I've installed 7 Ultimate x64 on two rigs with NVIDIA GFX, and both GFX cards stayed under 70 degrees celsius under heavy load. Sorry, it isn't the OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ruffian1 View Post
This reply is BS,all nvidea cards are overheating in windows 7 it is nothing to do with dust,dirt,silica compound,fans or any thing else,I have built two computers now one with a dual core amd cpu the other with a quad core amd cpu.
Both ran cool under windows xp 64 bit os, both have oveheated,to the extent of cooking a very expensive dual graphics card,under windows 7.
Playing games on a games oriented machine,is impossible,due to crashing,caused by oveheating cpu snd graphics cards.
It's time microsoft got it sorted,it's not a cheap os to start with then to have it cook your hardware is not funny.
What are you talking about? The poster's specs don't say anything about an nVidia graphics card...

As the other posters stated, those temps are high. 1) Check airflow within your case; 2) check your cpu cooler; 3) check to make sure your thermal compound is not all dried up; 4) you may want to invest in a better cpu cooler and more case fans.

(Are you absolutely sure those temps you listed are in Celsius?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #7

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nialso View Post
I'm running on an AMD Phenom 9850 X4 2.5 GHz (complete system info in profile). The SYSTIN and CPUTIN fluctuated between 100C - 103C and 50C - 60C respectively, whereas the AUXTIN pretty much remains at a steady 114C. Cores 1 - 4 go through the ranges of 45C to 60C. How much of an issue are these temperatures for AMD systems?

*Temp. ratings are via System Information for Windows (2010 v.)
1) Try a couple of different temperature measuring softwares... AMD is famous for changing their specs on the thermal diodes at the drop of a hat.

Grab the attached ZIP... what do CPUZ and HWMON say?

HWMonitor will give you a break down by device and is usually quite accurate.

2) If those termperatures are accurate you've got real problems. TJMax on AMD is 90c ... The CPU Temp In is a bit high but at 50 to 60c not dangerous. I'd be more worried about seeing 100c to 103c for your System Temp In readings... that indicates a ChipSet problem. OR... it could be the software just doesn't know how to read the sensors.

Let us know what the tools in the zip tell you... Please...


Attached Files
File Type: zip hwmonitor.zip (1.13 MB, 81 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #8

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Ok... these are my temperatures on an AMD 64X2 4200 currently being pushed with a lot of I/O and disk thrashing (doing backups...)

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  74.5 KB

This is about what you should see under medium light to medium load... note the temperature of the I/O chip... it's been running heavy I/O constantly for 14 hours.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Looking at the information about the system on HP's site and a few photos I've looked at, I'm guessing--and this is a guess--that you don't have sufficient airflow within your case. Most store bought computers will only have two fans installed--one on the heatsink and the other in the back of the case as an exhuast fan (I've had an HP before).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #10

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
Looking at the information about the system on HP's site and a few photos I've looked at, I'm guessing--and this is a guess--that you don't have sufficient airflow within your case. Most store bought computers will only have two fans installed--one on the heatsink and the other in the back of the case as an exhuast fan (I've had an HP before).
That's likely part of it... but when you start seeing 100c temperatures you have to think the heatsinks aren't seated correctly.

Couple of years back I got a repair job on a machine from G___way and it actually got out to the customer's hands without a CPU heatsink installed at all. IOW... stuff happens.

Given this is a fairly expensive PC, warranty return would be the way to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Overheating




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: System Overheating
Thread Forum
Solved Is my CPU overheating? Hardware & Devices
system overheating, how to check whether my pc is oerclocked? PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved System very unstable, overheating NB a possible cause? BSOD Help and Support
Overheating Performance & Maintenance
Overheating.. General Discussion
Overheating? Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33