Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MSConfig - Advanced Boot access help

28 Feb 2010   #1
walrux

Windows 7 64-bit; Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit
 
 
MSConfig - Advanced Boot access help

Hello All,

I have a seemingly simple question --

When I run msconfig, clicking the the ADVANCED OPTIONS under the BOOT tab does not take me anywhere. Why is that? I am logged on as myself with an Admin account.

I click and nothing happens. So, I cannot make my tweaks (I just need to reduce the memory config to trick my Hauppauge PVR 150 into seeing less than the 4GB I have.)

Would appreciate any help. Thanks. I don't think anyone else has this problem as I have searched several forums over two nights.

I am running Win7 Ultimate 64bit on an AMD Athlon X2 with 4 GB RAM (4x1GB sticks).

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Feb 2010   #2
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 build 10159
 
 

Hello Walrux, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm not sure why, but you might see if you may be able to while logged into the built-in Administrator account instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #3
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by walrux View Post
Hello All,

I have a seemingly simple question --

When I run msconfig, clicking the the ADVANCED OPTIONS under the BOOT tab does not take me anywhere. Why is that? I am logged on as myself with an Admin account.

I click and nothing happens. So, I cannot make my tweaks (I just need to reduce the memory config to trick my Hauppauge PVR 150 into seeing less than the 4GB I have.)

Thanks.
.
Try this -

Default Operating System - Change Default Boot OS

open:

"Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced Tab/Startup & Recovery settings"

Do you see a Windows 7 entry for default operating system? If not I have a possible solution to your problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Mar 2010   #4
walrux

Windows 7 64-bit; Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit
 
 

Thanks for your replies -

Brink - I had to enable the Administrator log-in, but no I cannot get it to work using that either.

Victek - you are correct. Win7 does not show as my default OS - in fact, the drop down list shows nothing that I can choose. I'm interested in your solution.

I looked over the link posted by Victek re the OS change. Just wanted to let you know that although I use 7 most of the time, I use Ubuntu and XP for other reasons and Grub 2 manages my boot loading on start-up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #5
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

While I'm not sure why you cannot get MSCONFIG to work. Might be able to do it manually using BCDEDIT.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791501.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #6
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by walrux View Post
Thanks for your replies -

Brink - I had to enable the Administrator log-in, but no I cannot get it to work using that either.

Victek - you are correct. Win7 does not show as my default OS - in fact, the drop down list shows nothing that I can choose. I'm interested in your solution.

I looked over the link posted by Victek re the OS change. Just wanted to let you know that although I use 7 most of the time, I use Ubuntu and XP for other reasons and Grub 2 manages my boot loading on start-up.
.
OK, right click "Computer" and select Manage. Then select Disk Management in the left pane. In the middle pane you will see the various partitions/volumes on your hard drive. Right click on the 100 MB System Reserved partition created by Windows 7 and assign a drive letter to it. Reboot. Check the default OS menu again and this time you should see Windows 7. The advanced boot options should now be available too - let us know
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #7
walrux

Windows 7 64-bit; Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Victek View Post
OK, right click "Computer" and select Manage. Then select Disk Management in the left pane. In the middle pane you will see the various partitions/volumes on your hard drive. Right click on the 100 MB System Reserved partition created by Windows 7 and assign a drive letter to it. Reboot. Check the default OS menu again and this time you should see Windows 7. The advanced boot options should now be available too - let us know
Thanks, Victek. I assigned W: to the 100MB reserved space. I now see that W: in my drive list.

However, even after reboot, I still do not show any OS entries on the OS menu and therefore the advanced boot menu still does nothing. Rather frustrating.

Logicearth has suggested BCDEdit -- but that requires some adventure I am yet unwilling to take.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #8
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by walrux View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Victek View Post
OK, right click "Computer" and select Manage. Then select Disk Management in the left pane. In the middle pane you will see the various partitions/volumes on your hard drive. Right click on the 100 MB System Reserved partition created by Windows 7 and assign a drive letter to it. Reboot. Check the default OS menu again and this time you should see Windows 7. The advanced boot options should now be available too - let us know
Thanks, Victek. I assigned W: to the 100MB reserved space. I now see that W: in my drive list.

However, even after reboot, I still do not show any OS entries on the OS menu and therefore the advanced boot menu still does nothing. Rather frustrating.

Logicearth has suggested BCDEdit -- but that requires some adventure I am yet unwilling to take.
.
Sorry that assigning the drive letter didn't just straighten it out. Since you have multiple partitions have a look at them in the disk manager. Is the Windows 7 system reserved partition labeled "System, Active, Primary"? Is the Windows 7 OS partition labeled "Boot, Page, Crash Dump. Primary"?

Have a look a EasyBCD. This is a GUI front-end for BCDEdit and a lot easier to use then the command line. Get the latest 2.0 beta build 82 (designed to work with Windows 7) here:

EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums

You have to register to access the beta builds, but it's free and only takes a minute. EasyBCD may be able to access the settings. Hope this helps. Let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #9
walrux

Windows 7 64-bit; Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit
 
 

Thanks.

EasyBCD looks interesting so I'll d/l for future use.

In the meantime, I was able to get around the issue by disconnecting my hd0 (with Linux, XP, and Grub 2); since my hd1 (which has Win7 in it) was in itself bootable, I just booted off that. With no Grub 2 intervention, Win7 exhibited normal behavior and I could see the Advanced Boot options and make my tweaks since the only OS showing was Win7.

I had concerns though - will re-enabling the Grub 2 bootloader skip over my new Win7 boot parameters?

So, I gave it a go. Reconnected hd0 and picked Win7 from the Grub 2 list. When Win7 kicked in, I checked msconfig. The Boot settings now showed "Selective" instead of "Normal." Therefore, my tweaks are in effect even though Win7 was again NOT showing on the drop down OS list.

And ... my Hauppauge PVR 150 now works great! I am happy. Only drawback is that this solution will only last as long as I decide to stay at 4GB RAM. Oh well, I'll be upgrading hardware in about a year anyway so I'll probably buy a new TV card.

But my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions and insights. Crisis managed.

Next step is to bring this behavior to the Grub 2 forums in Ubuntu land.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Victek View Post
.
Sorry that assigning the drive letter didn't just straighten it out. Since you have multiple partitions have a look at them in the disk manager. Is the Windows 7 system reserved partition labeled "System, Active, Primary"? Is the Windows 7 OS partition labeled "Boot, Page, Crash Dump. Primary"?

Have a look a EasyBCD. This is a GUI front-end for BCDEdit and a lot easier to use then the command line. Get the latest 2.0 beta build 82 (designed to work with Windows 7) here:

EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums

You have to register to access the beta builds, but it's free and only takes a minute. EasyBCD may be able to access the settings. Hope this helps. Let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2010   #10
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by walrux View Post
Thanks.

EasyBCD looks interesting so I'll d/l for future use.

In the meantime, I was able to get around the issue by disconnecting my hd0 (with Linux, XP, and Grub 2); since my hd1 (which has Win7 in it) was in itself bootable, I just booted off that. With no Grub 2 intervention, Win7 exhibited normal behavior and I could see the Advanced Boot options and make my tweaks since the only OS showing was Win7.

I had concerns though - will re-enabling the Grub 2 bootloader skip over my new Win7 boot parameters?

So, I gave it a go. Reconnected hd0 and picked Win7 from the Grub 2 list. When Win7 kicked in, I checked msconfig. The Boot settings now showed "Selective" instead of "Normal." Therefore, my tweaks are in effect even though Win7 was again NOT showing on the drop down OS list.

And ... my Hauppauge PVR 150 now works great! I am happy. Only drawback is that this solution will only last as long as I decide to stay at 4GB RAM. Oh well, I'll be upgrading hardware in about a year anyway so I'll probably buy a new TV card.

But my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions and insights. Crisis managed.

Next step is to bring this behavior to the Grub 2 forums in Ubuntu land.
.
Congrats! Sometimes "sneaker-net" is still the best way to get the job done
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MSConfig - Advanced Boot access help




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
MSConfig Boot tab does not allow changes
I previously used MSConfig and selected the Boot tab "Advanced Options" to change the number of cores allocated to Windows, now I cannot open the Advanced Options at all. The selection is not grayed out so it should be accessable. Basically nothing under the Boot tab can be modified, the other tabs...
General Discussion
SMART disk drive error-can't access Advanced Boot Options repair mode
My system is showing an internal hard drive error and F8 advanced boot options page doesn't appear to exist anymore (lost recovery via F8). That limits my troubleshooting. The system is a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop with core 2 quad Q8300 CPU at 2.5 ghz. 6.144 GB of RAM with DDR3 SDRAM. It's 3...
Hardware & Devices
MSCONFIG Blank Boot Tab
I was doing some registry tweaks (nothing related to MSCONFIG, just stuff from http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37920/the-50-best-registry-hacks-that-make-windows-better/ and now, my MSCONFIG boot tab looks like this. I cannot do a system restore, and I have run an SFC scan with no integrity...
General Discussion
System will not boot, cannot use F8, cannot access advanced boot menu
Hi all... My Gateway Laptop (NV55S05u) had a Norton scan today and found a trojan virus that Norton could not remove. I restarted the computer to try to get it in safe mode, and when I restarted I got a black screen with just a cursor. I was able to get into the BIOS (F2) and also able to...
General Discussion
Cannot boot into Safemode, not even with msconfig
I'm trying to boot into safemode but cannot get it to open. I've tried F8, F2, F12. Del takes me into the BIOS settings and there is nothing in there to boot into safemode. I went into msconfig and told it to boot into safemode and it booted into regular Windows after restarting. I went into...
Installation & Setup
BSODcorrupt registry?msconfig, changed advanced ticked no.of processor
Hello my computer can't boot into normal mode nor safe mode because of a BSOD. I believe this happened because i ticked no. of processors in advanced options of msconfig, then i went back into it unchecked, and finally rebooted-> BSOD. I don't have a windows 7 disk, because acer is too cheapskate...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App