Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dumb Q re: keeping your data OFF the C: (OS partition)

08 Mar 2010   #1
JimLewandowski

 
 
Dumb Q re: keeping your data OFF the C: (OS partition)

Since we now have W7's create disc image (new to me as I knew nothing about W7 as I had XP previously), is there any reason whatsoever to keep your data off the C: partition?

Since you can backup the whole smash (meaning, if all your data is on C: and you create disc image C:, it DOES backup 100% of C drive, correct), who cares where you data is any more? Obviously, this implies you keep a short-term backup of your whole C: drive. However, you do need another partition to back up TO, so you'd still need another HD partition (or use a dead-slow USB2 external thumb/HD).

Comments?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Mar 2010   #2
dajogejr

7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Assuming you're getting quality backups (that you've tested, of course.. ) there is no reason for a separate data partition.

However...
If the backup file(s) or image(s) become corrupt...or if you have a physical drive/mechanical failure, then you'd be at a loss.

I keep my data on a second HDD and once every month or so backup what's important to me (mainly pictures from over the years) to a few DVDs.

Just good practice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #3
ultraplanet

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
.... However, you do need another partition to back up TO, so you'd still need another HD partition ....

Comments?
Just keep in mind that a second partition on the same physical drive will not protect you against hardware failure. I believe dajogejr mentioned that too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Mar 2010   #4
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ultraplanet View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
.... However, you do need another partition to back up TO, so you'd still need another HD partition ....

Comments?
Just keep in mind that a second partition on the same physical drive will not protect you against hardware failure. I believe dajogejr mentioned that too.
Understood. I should rephrase...

I have a 2nd hard drive that I can use for backups. Hence, there really is "no" need to separate the OS and data since I can simply image the whole C: drive to the 2nd internal hard drive. It seems people are still in XP-mode-thinking (myself) such that they're worried about their data should they have to restore their OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #5
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ultraplanet View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
.... However, you do need another partition to back up TO, so you'd still need another HD partition ....

Comments?
Just keep in mind that a second partition on the same physical drive will not protect you against hardware failure. I believe dajogejr mentioned that too.
Understood. I should rephrase...

I have a 2nd hard drive that I can use for backups. Hence, there really is "no" need to separate the OS and data since I can simply image the whole C: drive to the 2nd internal hard drive. It seems people are still in XP-mode-thinking (myself) such that they're worried about their data should they have to restore their OS.
it is still best to save any pictures, downloads, docs, etc............. to a separate drive. you should never leave items on c that you cannot afford to loose. plus there is the added advantage of not having those files scanned during bootup. even 7 scans every folder and file on c to make sure that it loads everything. the less on c the less scanned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #6
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Staple Head View Post
it is still best to save any pictures, downloads, docs, etc............. to a separate drive. you should never leave items on c that you cannot afford to loose. plus there is the added advantage of not having those files scanned during bootup. even 7 scans every folder and file on c to make sure that it loads everything. the less on c the less scanned.
I don't follow the last part at all: Files scanned during bootup? What do you mean? What is W7 going to scan at bootup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #7
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Staple Head View Post
it is still best to save any pictures, downloads, docs, etc............. to a separate drive. you should never leave items on c that you cannot afford to loose. plus there is the added advantage of not having those files scanned during bootup. even 7 scans every folder and file on c to make sure that it loads everything. the less on c the less scanned.
I don't follow the last part at all: Files scanned during bootup? What do you mean? What is W7 going to scan at bootup?

7 just like xp and vista is designed to scan every file on the drive / partition your os is on during bootup as not to miss anything that is needed for the os and your startup programs to run properly. the less you have on your os drive / partition the less that is scanned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #8
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Staple Head View Post
7 just like xp and vista is designed to scan every file on the drive / partition your os is on during bootup as not to miss anything that is needed for the os and your startup programs to run properly. the less you have on your os drive / partition the less that is scanned.
This makes no sense whatsoever. Why would an OS "scan" every file? It KNOWS what it needs to start Windows 7. It knows what is in RUN/RUNONCE and STARTUP to launch those processes. This is way out in left field.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #9
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

actually microsour has not yet created an os that does not scan every file on the os drive / partition yet. why do you think a lot of users will create two separate partitions. one for the install of windows and the other one for program files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #10
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Staple Head View Post
actually microsour has not yet created an os that does not scan every file on the os drive / partition yet. why do you think a lot of users will create two separate partitions. one for the install of windows and the other one for program files.
You are not making any sense whatsoever. Windows doesn't scan anything. Otherwise we'd be seeing recommendations to move or delete every little from your OS partition to speed up the boot process.

Um, users create a second partition for data so if they restore their OS partition, their data is intact.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dumb Q re: keeping your data OFF the C: (OS partition)




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Install Windows 7 retail over OEM keeping System Recovery partition.
If I had a OEM computer which I wanted to reinstall Windows 7 from a retail disc, can I keep the system recovery partition if I do a custom installation and only choose the partition with the operating system on it?
Installation & Setup
How to change active partition without removing data from partition?
Hi Folks, I have contrived to get two active partitions on my PC! After a 2 week old hard drive (D: & F -) died I replaced (now F & G) it with an old drive that had previously been configured with XP and as a boot drive. I don’t think it is acting as boot as drive C: has an active partition and...
General Discussion
Mystery Partition - Accidentally Put Data on System Partition??
Hello, I was really hoping somebody could help us. It's a bit of a strange situation we're in but I'll try to keep the facts as concise as possible. Computer running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 1TB Hard Drive. Yesterday my boyfriend discovered an 'extra' partition on his computer. He'd never seen...
Performance & Maintenance
Dumb question - keeping track of drivers?
Is there a utility, preferably freeware, which can a) scan my system to find devices, b) go to the manufacturers' web-sites to see if there are more recent driver version, and c) do this from Windows (as opposed to boot time, safe mode, etc)?
Drivers
installin win7 64b while keeping a partition with data
hello, currently i have vista 32 b with 2 partitions one for system and one for data if i want to do a fresh install to 64 b win7 and keep the data on my data partition, can it be done ? or must backup my data on external source and format both partitions?
Installation & Setup
Clean Install while keeping data and apps?
OK - I'm not overly Techie I'm afraid. Just considering the upgrade from Euro version of Vista to W7 E. This means a clean install, I'm happy with the whole partitioning thing, but how do I get all my old data and apps onto W7 once it's up and running? I've got many many gig of data and some...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App