Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SLOW booting

15 Mar 2010   #1
alpine4133

windows 7
 
 
SLOW booting

I have an HP dual core 64bit machine with 8gig of cache.

It is a win 7 upgrade. I have the processors set to 2, changed virtual page memory to min 8192and 16384 max.
Defraged, no viruses, removed most of the fonts.... and still very slow boot time, it takes like 4 minutes to boot....

Any suggestion?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Mar 2010   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Do a clean install (not an upgrade) and stop playing around with it. What do you think setting the processors to 2 will buy you? - same for playing with the page file. Leave it to the system to manage the resources. Your problem is somewhere else. For a test, disable all the startup programs and see whether that helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2010   #3
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Alpine,
Win key (that's the one with the funny looking wavy flag on it)
type MSCONFIG
hit Enter
Go to Startup tab
Uncheck everything that is not from Microsoft or from the mfg of your hardware.
OK button
Reboot your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Mar 2010   #4
alpine4133

windows 7
 
 
new install

I would have to purchase the whole Windows 7 NEW in addition to the upgrade. Wouldn't I? I have already spent a lot of $$$

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Do a clean install (not an upgrade) and stop playing around with it. What do you think setting the processors to 2 will buy you? - same for playing with the page file. Leave it to the system to manage the resources. Your problem is somewhere else. For a test, disable all the startup programs and see whether that helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #5
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Do you have the Windows 7 DVD??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #6
vicvic

windows 7 Home premium 32 bit
 
 

hi

If you recieved the disks from HP to upgrade your system you can do a clean install of the dvd.

Clean up your start up- the site below is mostly the best information on what to keep running and what not.

Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Then go to msconfig and turn off the rest that like mention above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alpine4133 View Post
I would have to purchase the whole Windows 7 NEW in addition to the upgrade. Wouldn't I? I have already spent a lot of $$$

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Do a clean install (not an upgrade) and stop playing around with it. What do you think setting the processors to 2 will buy you? - same for playing with the page file. Leave it to the system to manage the resources. Your problem is somewhere else. For a test, disable all the startup programs and see whether that helps.
If you have the upgrade disk, you can make a clean install. This is how: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #8
alpine4133

windows 7
 
 
Slow boot up

No I do not, I only have the Upgrade CD

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Do you have the Windows 7 DVD??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #9
osholt

Windows 7 Profesional x86, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alpine4133 View Post
No I do not, I only have the Upgrade CD

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Do you have the Windows 7 DVD??
When you say upgrade disk do you mean one made by Microsoft or a custom upgrade DVD created by your PCs manufacturer?

If it is the Microsoft one the disk is identical to that of the full version, the product key is the only difference (upgrade key will only register if it detects a prior installation of Windows where as a full version will activate no matter what).

Oli
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #10
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

alpine,
Are we just blowing in the wind here? Please reread the post from whs and several of the others. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Quote:
If you have the upgrade disk, you can make a clean install. This is how: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SLOW booting




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows boots very slow and runs slow after booting
Hello 7forums. I have a problem with my Windows 7 Professional (32bit). I'll try to explain everything in detail. Yesterday I was using uTorrent to download some files (24 gigabytes +). It was downloading at a speed of ~7-8 Mb/s. During the download I noticed that the PC was running pretty...
Performance & Maintenance
My system is booting up extremely slow
My system is booting up extremely slow its slow to show f2 for bios option as well so I thought its a hardware prob. I ran a memory diagnosis and this is what comes up. Any suggestions? Its a customised pc so need to call a particular products manufacturer if its a hardware problem.
Performance & Maintenance
Very slow booting ,windows 7 ultimate x64 - any help ?
It is very strange why when windows is freshly installed and there are let's say 7 programs loading is faster than loading the same programs after 4-5 months using of the system. I have like 7 X programs loading : Kaspersky 12 IS Steam client Outlook Express 2003 teamviewer Skype Google...
Performance & Maintenance
slow booting windows 7 ultimate
My PC began this slow booting since 2 days ago, it took 10 minutes to go next screen and froze before i can welcome login screen and also i can't access into safe mode. why is it happening, i bought in less than 3 months?
General Discussion
Booting Windows 7 really slow...
I'm fed up with this...recently I had 4GBs of RAM, and will, but for now I have it in my WHS because the 2011 release requires 2GBs of RAM... But I'm very angry with the performance decrease. It's always been this way though. It always has this stupid performance decrease, and lowering my RAM...
Performance & Maintenance
Booting slow
hello..all i'am newbie just wanna fix my problem i have (a very slow booting on the windows "logo") why that ?:(
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App