Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free memory decreasing with time

19 Mar 2010   #1
skywalker

Window 7 ultimate
 
 
Free memory decreasing with time

H

My thinkpad T500 has 3 GB memory installed and it has window 7 ultimate operating system,. When I start up the computer, it shows 1GB free memory and 200MB of standby memory. However, even the computer is sitting idle, the free memory decrease with time. The only software I have is MS office and McAfee. After 15 minutes, the free memory reduces to 200mb while the standby memory increases to 1GB. I took my thinkpad to the official dealer to have it check out. They find no problems. I scan for spyware etc and find none. I wonder whether there is anything wrong with my thinkpad.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
H

My thinkpad T500 has 3 GB memory installed and it has window 7 ultimate operating system,. When I start up the computer, it shows 1GB free memory and 200MB of standby memory. However, even the computer is sitting idle, the free memory decrease with time. The only software I have is MS office and McAfee. After 15 minutes, the free memory reduces to 200mb while the standby memory increases to 1GB. I took my thinkpad to the official dealer to have it check out. They find no problems. I scan for spyware etc and find none. I wonder whether there is anything wrong with my thinkpad.

Thanks
I suspect you are talking about free memory and available memory. win 7 caches memory differently it puts most of the free memory into cache waiting for an app to request it. That speeds up load times and it is correct.

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Have a look into resource manager > memory tab. That gives you the real story. Everything that is blue (light and dark) is available memory. The dark blue is cached processes but is available when needed. As long as the dark blue is not needed, the processes (or their roots) just sit there for fast launch in case you call them again. That's why you may have e.g. 3 iexplore.exe processes showing in the task manager > process tab.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Mar 2010   #4
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
I suspect you are talking about free memory and available memory. win 7 caches memory differently it puts most of the free memory into cache waiting for an app to request it. That speeds up load times and it is correct.

ken
quoted for truth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #5
spyguy2007

windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Ram disapearing

I have the same problem. my ram just disappear. i cant even watch a movie then. the other day i tried playing game and it gave me an error message, saying i have less then 15mb memory. when i looked my free ram was 1mb. why is that? and how cant i get that to stop. i currently have 4gb ram of which 2.75gb is usable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #6
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spyguy2007 View Post
I have the same problem. my ram just disappear. i cant even watch a movie then. the other day i tried playing game and it gave me an error message, saying i have less then 15mb memory. when i looked my free ram was 1mb. why is that? and how cant i get that to stop. i currently have 4gb ram of which 2.75gb is usable
If you really want to stop it, disable the Superfetch service.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #7
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spyguy2007 View Post
I have the same problem. my ram just disappear. i cant even watch a movie then. the other day i tried playing game and it gave me an error message, saying i have less then 15mb memory. when i looked my free ram was 1mb. why is that? and how cant i get that to stop. i currently have 4gb ram of which 2.75gb is usable
If you had more details in your System specs, it would be easier for others to offer you a solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #8
spyguy2007

windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.1ghz cpu
8600gt graphics card
4gb kingston ram
1x terrabyte sata
1x 250gb sata
2x 160gb ide
500w gaming powersupply
AM2 winfast mobo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2010   #9
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spyguy2007 View Post
I have the same problem. my ram just disappear. i cant even watch a movie then. the other day i tried playing game and it gave me an error message, saying i have less then 15mb memory. when i looked my free ram was 1mb. why is that? and how cant i get that to stop. i currently have 4gb ram of which 2.75gb is usable
well for starters you have 32-bit os. so no more then ~3gb usable memory for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Free memory decreasing with time




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Free space on C drive keeps decreasing?
Hello. Good day! Can you help me too in my problem. My laptop is Dell Inspiron Win7 Home Basic 64Bit. Intel core i3 320 GB 2.00 Gb Ram Partition is: (C:)- 20GB (D:)- 250 GB AV: McAfee
Performance & Maintenance
Memory is decreasing
I recently started using this program and I kept on getting error messages saying I did not have any available space and before I installed the program I checked my available memory and I had about 32 gb when I went to check again I had 567 mb! Now before any of you say "That's the programs fault...
Performance & Maintenance
Memory Decreasing Rapidly
Hello, well y was on my computer yesterday and i noticed my computer's memory is decreasing for no given reason, i checked it again today and noticed it decreased again. I'm really worry and what is happening i'm not sure if it's a virus that i have on my computer. I checked with my Antivirus...
Performance & Maintenance
HELP! free space on C drive keeps decreasing!
the space on my C drive keeps decreasing, i was doing my regular work and i recieved a message saying the space in my c drive is low.. i usually used to have around 13GB of free space..but it turned to just 1GB in a while.. it comes back to 13GB or 12 GB after i restart my computer but again...
General Discussion
Decreasing of free space in C drive
Today, my free space for C drive was 49gb out of 70gb. But after loading some videos in youtube, the free space decreases to 47.9gb!! I have CCleaners and I do delete some of the system restores. Please help me cause I'm trying to save my computer space. I'm so desperate until I create my own...
Hardware & Devices
Free space on C drive keeps decreasing?
My OS is windows 7 32bit. What I have done to prevent decreasing is: 1. disable system restore on all drives. 2. turn off hybernation 3. move pagefile to other drives. The problem is it is still decreasing, though in a lower rate. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App