Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is a good, reliable registry cleaner?


20 May 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
What is a good, reliable registry cleaner?

I've got a computer repair shop, looking for the latest and greatest for registry cleaners, etc. I used to use EasyCleaner for a long time, but haven't seen a vista/Windows 7 version. Open to ideas. Thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 May 2010   #2

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

With Windows 7 it is best not to mess with registry cleaners...but if you really feel the need, use CCcleaner
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #3

Windows 7 Profesional x86, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jblue21 View Post
I've got a computer repair shop, looking for the latest and greatest for registry cleaners, etc. I used to use EasyCleaner for a long time, but haven't seen a vista/Windows 7 version. Open to ideas. Thanks!
CCleaner is good and widely recommended through out this forum.

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

It's made by Piriform who make some really useful free software, most of which is very useful in solving problems on this forum (from putting in your system specs via UserCP all the way up to data recovery).

Oli
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 May 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
With Windows 7 it is best not to mess with registry cleaners...but if you really feel the need, use CCcleaner
I echo what Tews said. Win 7 does not need a registry cleaner. It handles the the registry differently than XP or Vista. Win 7 manages the registry quite efficiently.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #5

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Also as we have seen issues here with Registry Cleaners, backup your Registry before doing anything and make a restore point Just In Case
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #6

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
With Windows 7 it is best not to mess with registry cleaners...but if you really feel the need, use CCcleaner
I echo what Tews said. Win 7 does not need a registry cleaner. It handles the the registry differently than XP or Vista. Win 7 manages the registry quite efficiently.
Windows 7 does not normally need a Registry Cleaner. But every once in a while one comes across apps with poor uninstallers that leave behind entries after the apps themselves have been uninstalled. So you might get a popup at boot "so and so not found..." or something similar. I find it convenient to use a registry cleaner in such a situation.

Having said that, use a good uninstaller app like Revo. That'll mostly obviate the need for a registry cleaner and lessen the likelihood of any system damage by the Registry Cleaner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
With Windows 7 it is best not to mess with registry cleaners...but if you really feel the need, use CCcleaner
I echo what Tews said. Win 7 does not need a registry cleaner. It handles the the registry differently than XP or Vista. Win 7 manages the registry quite efficiently.
Windows 7 does not normally need a Registry Cleaner. But every once in a while one comes across apps with poor uninstallers that leave behind entries after the apps themselves have been uninstalled. So you might get a popup at boot "so and so not found..." or something similar. I find it convenient to use a registry cleaner in such a situation.

Having said that, use a good uninstaller app like Revo. That'll mostly obviate the need for a registry cleaner and lessen the likelihood of any system damage by the Registry Cleaner.
Good, solid advice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Here is a link to a discussion we were having earlier this week on this exact topic.

Tell me what registry cleaner suites windows 7 ultimate
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #9

Windows 7
 
 

I'd give my vote to Tune Up utilities.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2010   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

I have put CCleaner and the Auslogics Disk and Registry defraggers on several hundred installs over 10 years and never had an issue.

For years I would back up the Registry cleanup items when using CCleaner but never had the need to roll any back so don't even bother any more because as best I can tell it doesn't make mistakes.

These 3 tools along with editing msconfig>startup to the bone help keep all of my installs clean as a whistle, perfectly ordered and lightning fast.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is a good, reliable registry cleaner?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What is a good, reliable registry cleaner?
Thread Forum
Solved Any help with CC registry cleaner? Performance & Maintenance
Do I need to use a Registry Cleaner? Performance & Maintenance
Registry cleaner Performance & Maintenance
The best registry cleaner, which one? Performance & Maintenance
Registry Cleaner Performance & Maintenance
Registry Cleaner Software
I used a Registry Cleaner Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33