Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: 64 bit processor

12 Jun 2010   #1

windows 7 home premium 64
 
 
64 bit processor

This is a 64 bit processor in unit, repeat only a 64 bit , not a 32/64 only a 64 chip.
tried to load windowsXp 32 bit operating system, loaded but several functions did not work. tried twice I assume this can't be done ?? correct?

Loaded windows 7 64bit works like a charm.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jun 2010   #2

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wilfj View Post
This is a 64 bit processor in unit, repeat only a 64 bit , not a 32/64 only a 64 chip.
tried to load windowsXp 32 bit operating system, loaded but several functions did not work. tried twice I assume this can't be done ?? correct?

Loaded windows 7 64bit works like a charm.
A 64-bit processor supports 32-bit functions as well. If you're running a 32-bit OS, like Windows XP, it will operate only in 32-bit mode. It can be done. I used to use an Athlon 64 on my old rig with Windows XP 32-bit. What wasn't working and what are your computer's specs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2010   #3

windows 7 home premium 64
 
 

gee can't recall everythiing, but no drivers were loaded including the net card. Would only take a modem setup for the net. it did not like the XP 32, which is a lic. copy and running on another unit. The Windows 7 64 works like a charm. This is my friends unit which he built, top of the line hardware ASUS motherboard, ati sound etc. i thought it may have been the chipset for 64 only.
In any event he's running at 64 with a better Operating System and so far all the software loaded fine with the exception of NERO, no surprise here. i couldn't believe we would have a problem with a 32 bit OS , but we did for what ever reason(s). Thanks for your reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jun 2010   #4

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

There is no x86-64 chip that won't run x86 instructions, the 64 bit part is an extension, the processor will still have it's "32bit" parts intact... As for problematic driver problem, I assume you got the wrong driver... My current machine can run both WinXP and Windows 7 without any problem, Core 2 Quad Q6600 is a 64bit capable processor, yet it can and will run 32bit OS. I repeat, no x86-64 processor incapable of running 32bit instructions/OS.

zzz2494
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
There is no x86-64 chip that won't run x86 instructions, the 64 bit part is an extension, the processor will still have it's "32bit" parts intact... As for problematic driver problem, I assume you got the wrong driver... My current machine can run both WinXP and Windows 7 without any problem, Core 2 Quad Q6600 is a 64bit capable processor, yet it can and will run 32bit OS. I repeat, no x86-64 processor incapable of running 32bit instructions/OS.

zzz2494
Well, he did state that his processor is only a 64bit processor...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #6

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kurahk7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
There is no x86-64 chip that won't run x86 instructions, the 64 bit part is an extension, the processor will still have it's "32bit" parts intact... As for problematic driver problem, I assume you got the wrong driver... My current machine can run both WinXP and Windows 7 without any problem, Core 2 Quad Q6600 is a 64bit capable processor, yet it can and will run 32bit OS. I repeat, no x86-64 processor incapable of running 32bit instructions/OS.

zzz2494
Well, he did state that his processor is only a 64bit processor...
As I said earlier, kurahk7... There is no such thing. Intel only make 2 processor types, one is IA-32 and IA-64, IA-32 covers the Pentium and Core series processors which includes the x86-64 capable processor. IA-64 is Itanium series, it doesn't work with normal x86/x86-64 instructions/programs/OS natively. As the OP said, I don't think he has a 64bit only processor, since there is no such thing in consumer market. I doubt he got an Itanium system (or POWER/5/6/7 system or Niagara system) since those are primarily gone to servers, not to mention the cost of such systems are prohibitively expensive for us normal consumers...

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64 bit processor





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 64 bit processor
Thread Forum
i5 processor Hardware & Devices
About The Processor.. Hardware & Devices
Which processor is better? Hardware & Devices
What Processor Should I Go With? Hardware & Devices
Which Processor is Better Hardware & Devices
2.80 GHz Processor w/ 8GB RAM - Need Help Performance & Maintenance
Help with processor Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33