Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CPU / GPU temp questions

13 Jul 2010   #1
markvis14

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 
CPU / GPU temp questions

Hello,

Out of curiosity I installed speedfan.
I ran it:



Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Mark


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2010   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Nah. You can set what temperatures SpeedFan gives you the flame icon. Anything below 70 C really isn't an issue. If under 100% load [which with 4 cores you have only a few things you can do] you break the 70C mark,it wouldn't hurt to look into a new or better heatsink. 53C is only 127F.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #3
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

hello there i have the same system specs (almost as yours) i was thinking of installing this tool does it run ok ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jul 2010   #4
markvis14

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Nah. You can set what temperatures SpeedFan gives you the flame icon. Anything below 70 C really isn't an issue. If under 100% load [which with 4 cores you have only a few things you can do] you break the 70C mark,it wouldn't hurt to look into a new or better heatsink. 53C is only 127F.
Okay thank you.


And yes this tool works just fine Try it out
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #5
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 8 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by markvis14 View Post
Hello,

Out of curiosity I installed speedfan.
I ran it:



Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Mark
Looking at those temps, yes, I would be worried a little bit. You're running at 4% load and your temps are that high?

Here is my Phenom II 955 @ 3800 idling:

Name:  WEI007.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  140.8 KB

Right now, my two Radeon 4670's are sitting at 31C and 34C. My CPU core temp doesn't break 55C under full load.

You might have an airflow problem in your case, and it looks like your CPU fan is only running at 1100 RPM. I would increase the CPU fan speed. Also, check the Advanced tab under the config in Speedfan, and make sure that SF hasn't applied any offsets to your temps. IMHO, all of those temps look off for an Intel system. They usually run cooler than an AMD rig does at the same speeds.

Speedfan is a good tool, but it doesn't hurt to double check with something like CPUID's Hardware Monitor or Coretemp. Both are linked in the Software forum, under Brink's Free software sticky.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #6
markvis14

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Hello Mellon Head,

Thank you for replying.
Is it possible to increase the fan speed with speedfan? (by the sound of the name it should be possible lol but I cant figure out where)

Thanks man!

Regards,
Mark
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #7
sygnus21

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Temperatures are dependent on a host of variables. In short, just because someone shows temps in the mid 30's while you show temps in the mid 50's just says there’s more to the story.

You need to take the following into consideration before comparing temps of one CPU to that of another…. room temps, case/case design, location of case, case fans, design of fans, number of fans, CPU lot, voltages, motherboard, CPU cooler (water vs. air), thermo paste, programs running, etc ...

As you can see, there's a lot to consider when looking at temps. So when one says they're running at 35c while you might be running at 50 only shows the end result of the variable above. Only when those are the same can you really compare temps.

So... before you go chasing after someone else’s numbers understand what it took to get there.

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #8
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by markvis14 View Post
Hello Mellon Head,

Thank you for replying.
Is it possible to increase the fan speed with speedfan? (by the sound of the name it should be possible lol but I cant figure out where)

Thanks man!

Regards,
Mark
Idiots Guide to setting fan settings in Speedfan (not calling you an idiot just saying its idiot proof)

1) click Configure then Advanced
2) select your chip from the drop down menu (you will know its the right one, it will say PWM Mode somewhere in the list below)
3) Change PWM Mode from "Smart Gaurdian" to "Software Controlled"
4) click OK

assuming your Mobo supports it, you can now change the fan speeds from Speedfan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #9
markvis14

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Thank you both for your replies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #10
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 8 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Temperatures are dependent on a host of variables. In short, just because someone shows temps in the mid 30's while you show temps in the mid 50's just says there’s more to the story.

You need to take the following into consideration before comparing temps of one CPU to that of another…. room temps, case/case design, location of case, case fans, design of fans, number of fans, CPU lot, voltages, motherboard, CPU cooler (water vs. air), thermo paste, programs running, etc ...

As you can see, there's a lot to consider when looking at temps. So when one says they're running at 35c while you might be running at 50 only shows the end result of the variable above. Only when those are the same can you really compare temps.

So... before you go chasing after someone else’s numbers understand what it took to get there.

My two cents.
Very good advice, and I completely agree.

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't trying a "hey look at me" game on the OP. I was only trying to illustrate that his temps were quite high at idle IMO, and I used that screen shot to back it up. Since my machine is running at 600 MHz over stock, with a Vcore of 1.34, and no special cooling tricks, I thought that the comparison was valid in showing what a case with good airflow can do for you. I neglected to make that point and add some of the information that you mentioned, and I'm sorry if it caused any confusion.

For the details, my case has 4 120mm fans, 3 intake and one rear exhaust, plus a 140mm top exhaust fan. When the screen shot was taken, the ambient temp was 24C, and all but the CPU fan was running at 70%. The CPU fan always runs at 100%. I don't have a really sexy CPU HS either, It's just air cooled, and I use good thermal paste.

@OP: sygnus21 is correct. Don't use my numbers as numbers to chase. Rather, use them and other people's numbers as examples. Compare a number of systems, and how they are cooled, to see where your temps could be. If you'd like some more information on how I got my temps, please PM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU / GPU temp questions




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help system temp high and CPU temp low?!
Hi! I have this problem with Asus p5q3 motherboard my system temp goes up to 60-70(celsius) and cpu (intel core 2 quad q9550) temp is low as 30-40(celsius). So how can system temp be that high?
Performance & Maintenance
bios temp / real temp
hello can someone please tell me why my bios temp is 31C. and after booting to windows 7 real temp says 42c.? i'm using a E8400 chip and asus motherboard (p5q pro turbo) . what should the tjmax in real temp be set to i have it at 95 now . thanks for your help scrooge
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
I7980x 3x GTX480 H2O Temp Questions
So I'm working on finding that magic place with a good stable OC and Nice low temps. I think I have settled on 30x133 (4005 ghz) 1.296V CPUZ. Clocks @ 7-8-7-20 1T CPU Temps Idle 27-23-23-24-25-23 CPU Temps Linx 5 Runs 61-60-58-57-63-62 GTX 480's Idle 30-31-30 10 Min of Kombustor @...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
using all cpu meter with core temp, only one core temp showing
so i'm using the all cpu meter gadget to monitor my system. in the options tab theres a link to download the core temp application to also show your cpu core temperatures. the program says it should show temps for all cores, yet mine only shows 1 core temp out of 2. does anyone know how to get...
Gadgets
cpu temp
what should be the max operating temperature of core 2 duo 1.6GHz?
Hardware & Devices
Are my drivers in my temp folder, or my %temp% folder?
Hi, my computer is old and has small hard drive space, and someone recommended I delete my %temp%, my temp, and my prefetch folder, but I was just wondering, since I had to do a whole lot of searching ,and downloading of drivers, (just to make my computer compatible with windows 7), where all my...
Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App