Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: what's up with the performance monitor?

12 May 2009   #1
leQ

dual vista/win7
 
 
what's up with the performance monitor?

why did M$ wreck the performance monitor? i can't get to view the monitor because it's stuck in a directory (c:\perflogs) that i don't have permission to access. what a crock.

unless someone can point out something i'm doing wrong. but i added counters, only to see that it's output was something in that perflogs directory.

and bill, what kinda drugs were you taking when you made windows 7? because never in my whole entire life did i ever have so many directories on my computer that i can't access. what on God's green earth were you THINKing?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 May 2009   #2

 
 

So typing "'performance monitor' into the start menu doesn't start it for you?

PS Bill has nothing to do with it now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2009   #3

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leQ View Post
and bill, what kinda drugs were you taking when you made windows 7? because never in my whole entire life did i ever have so many directories on my computer that i can't access. what on God's green earth were you THINKing?
I think maybe 'security'. If you need access to one of these folders for some reason, see here: Take Ownership Shortcut


Gary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 May 2009   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

right click on taskbar and select task manager
go to performance tab
and click resource monitor button
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2009   #5

Win 7 RC 7100 x64
 
 

Your trying to check an administrative tool but you dont have admin access to your own machine? What drugs are you taking?

If you don't like windows 7, dont use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leQ View Post
why did M$ wreck the performance monitor? i can't get to view the monitor because it's stuck in a directory (c:\perflogs) that i don't have permission to access. what a crock.

unless someone can point out something i'm doing wrong. but i added counters, only to see that it's output was something in that perflogs directory.

and bill, what kinda drugs were you taking when you made windows 7? because never in my whole entire life did i ever have so many directories on my computer that i can't access. what on God's green earth were you THINKing?
You need to learn how to use the OS before you start blaming MS for your woes.

I SOMEHOW don't have any issues that you describe, kinda funny huh?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2009   #7
leQ

dual vista/win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
right click on taskbar and select task manager
go to performance tab
and click resource monitor button

and that gets me all these counters that i have no interest in. all i wanna know are the 2 data-types of bytes sent and bytes received. iow, a monitor of the network interface.

but thanks for that tip on the take ownership .reg file. that will come in handy, moreso now as many of these directories are inaccessible to me.

as for security, i create restore points everytime i open regedit. or do something such as take ownership of a file that could do harm to my system.

and thanks to all of you for your thoughts. i must have had a bad hair day that day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2009   #8

Windows® 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leQ View Post
why did M$ wreck the performance monitor? i can't get to view the monitor because it's stuck in a directory (c:\perflogs) that i don't have permission to access. what a crock.

unless someone can point out something i'm doing wrong. but i added counters, only to see that it's output was something in that perflogs directory.

and bill, what kinda drugs were you taking when you made windows 7? because never in my whole entire life did i ever have so many directories on my computer that i can't access. what on God's green earth were you THINKing?
Not sure what you are doing wrong here, but if you just type perfmon in the search box & hit enter it comes right up...

If this doesn't work after you do a clean install, then you've got a bad iso burn of the OS or corrupted iso as I've never had problems accessing this regardless of the Windows 7 build.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2009   #9
leQ

dual vista/win7
 
 

maybe i wasn't clear about the performance issue.

i like to have counters from the network adapters' bytes in and bytees out, graphed. i was able to get what i wanted by going what y'all have said (typing perfmon in the start menu.

so thanks everybody, the issue is resolved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 what's up with the performance monitor?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: what's up with the performance monitor?
Thread Forum
Performance Monitor error Performance & Maintenance
How can i used performance monitor to monitor my hdd Hardware & Devices
DPC's Queued/Sec Off the charts!! in performance monitor Performance & Maintenance
Performance Monitor - Disk I/O Performance & Maintenance
Remote Performance Monitor Network & Sharing
External Monitor on Laptop performance Hardware & Devices
Performance monitor bug? Is this known? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33