Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free Software Firewalls for Windows 7

15 Apr 2010   #11
D3ftOn3Z

Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
 
 

Here's a few to add on the list.

GhostWall FireWall

Free Firewall Download | Blocks Hackers Attempts, Identity Thefts, Spyware, Adware and Trojans

Ashampoo® FireWall FREE

I personally haven't use one of this. Just a recommendation i've found on another site.

Cheers.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Apr 2010   #12
simmo

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

If you want to be spammed endlessly then use "Free" ashampoo anything. I have used "Full Version" ashampoo software from discs published with magazines like PC Authority/User etc and found I get emails from ashampoo every second day asking me to buy this buy that.
So much so I have uninstalled the program and was promptly hit with a why did you uninstall the program etc from them.
Your choice.
Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #13
Anderson2

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antharr View Post
Windows 7 Firewall Control has worked very well for me. It just adds functionality to the built-in firewall.

Windows 7 Firewall Control : Sphinx Software
I too discovered W7FC and here are my comments:
a) the free version is very easy to use but it really is not adequate because it only allows "accept all" or "refuse all" options or allow in or out. No zones and no logging.

b) I (very briefly) tried the W7FC plus version and found it a little too confusing (even though I had used Zone Alarm for years in XP). Maybe I did not give it an adequate try because it was so brief a try.

c) in doing this I discovered that you must totally uninstall the plus version before re-installing the free version. Otherwise you get problems with blocking of ivP6, etc. I had wrongly assumed that because they were the same program one did not need to do so. Wrong!

I'm no expert in this but wonder
1) With Microsoft being such a target for attack, is it a problem that W7FC uses the same underlying engine as Windows 7's own firewall? Would be better to go with something like Comodo (ZA is getting a little long in the tooth) that is totally independent - always using a custom install and unselecting unwanted toolbars.

2) How important is the presence or absence of a HIPS module?

3) Other than avoiding the unwanted toolbars, is there any problem with Comodo free in W 7 ?

My 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 May 2010   #14
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anderson2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antharr View Post
Windows 7 Firewall Control has worked very well for me. It just adds functionality to the built-in firewall.

Windows 7 Firewall Control : Sphinx Software
I too discovered W7FC and here are my comments:
a) the free version is very easy to use but it really is not adequate because it only allows "accept all" or "refuse all" options or allow in or out. No zones and no logging.

b) I (very briefly) tried the W7FC plus version and found it a little too confusing (even though I had used Zone Alarm for years in XP). Maybe I did not give it an adequate try because it was so brief a try.

c) in doing this I discovered that you must totally uninstall the plus version before re-installing the free version. Otherwise you get problems with blocking of ivP6, etc. I had wrongly assumed that because they were the same program one did not need to do so. Wrong!

I'm no expert in this but wonder
1) With Microsoft being such a target for attack, is it a problem that W7FC uses the same underlying engine as Windows 7's own firewall? Would be better to go with something like Comodo (ZA is getting a little long in the tooth) that is totally independent - always using a custom install and unselecting unwanted toolbars.

2) How important is the presence or absence of a HIPS module?

3) Other than avoiding the unwanted toolbars, is there any problem with Comodo free in W 7 ?

My 2 cents.
1. There is nothing wrong with the engine in Windows firewall. You do not need to be afraid of that. ZA does not yet play nice with Windows 7; I am sure that will be fixed down the road.

2. The firewall expert will have to answer this one.

3. Some have reported problems with Comodo and PCTools running with Win 7. I have run both and had no problems with either one on my system. And I avoided the toolbars. I am currently running Comodo. Like yourself, I simply want it for outbound protection.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2010   #15
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

I normally operate behind a hardware NAT firewall so need not really run any software firewall but I run Comodo firewall because on my home network other users have access and therefore I like to have the additional protection that this can bring.

Also with Netbooks and laptops that are used on "Other Peoples" networks such as Hotspots you never can be sure that the firewall is running and set correctly.

Comodo did have some issues with win7 during the early Beta stages but I have had no issues since this time.

To use Comodo, or any other professional standard firewall, you have to spend some time to learn it's operation and fine tune the options for the best compromise between protection and system usability.

For the majority of users behind a Hardware NAT firewall Windows Firewall is adequate, (windows firewall control is a good addition for better control).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2010   #16
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

ZA free now plays nice with Win7 x64. Just make sure to do the custom install and read everything before the install. It wants to install a zone alarm toolbar which you can opt out of in the custom setup, it also wants to change your search engine to Google...so as always....be sure to read the fine print.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2010   #17
kucing13

 

for personal use,windows firewall does it job so far for me but to be more secure,i add comodo too. with normal setting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2010   #18
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
I normally operate behind a hardware NAT firewall so need not really run any software firewall but I run Comodo firewall because on my home network other users have access and therefore I like to have the additional protection that this can bring.

Also with Netbooks and laptops that are used on "Other Peoples" networks such as Hotspots you never can be sure that the firewall is running and set correctly.

Comodo did have some issues with win7 during the early Beta stages but I have had no issues since this time.

To use Comodo, or any other professional standard firewall, you have to spend some time to learn it's operation and fine tune the options for the best compromise between protection and system usability.

For the majority of users behind a Hardware NAT firewall Windows Firewall is adequate, (windows firewall control is a good addition for better control).
Well stated, Nigel. I, too, use Comodo. My main reason for using it is the ease of blocking/controlling outgoing internet connections. I have had no problems with Comodo and Win 7. I, too, use Mae Lyne's notebook at WiFi hotspots and I like to know that computer is protected.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post
ZA free now plays nice with Win7 x64. Just make sure to do the custom install and read everything before the install. It wants to install a zone alarm toolbar which you can opt out of in the custom setup, it also wants to change your search engine to Google...so as always....be sure to read the fine print.
I am glad to hear this. I like ZA's interface and ease of use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2010   #19
malexous

Arch Linux 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kucing13 View Post
for personal use,windows firewall does it job so far for me but to be more secure,i add comodo too. with normal setting
Is Windows Firewall enabled?

It is not recommended to use two software firewalls.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2010   #20
kucing13

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by malexous View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kucing13 View Post
for personal use,windows firewall does it job so far for me but to be more secure,i add comodo too. with normal setting
Is Windows Firewall enabled?

It is not recommended to use two software firewalls.
comodo enabled when the situation demand me too. probably when my friend use my pc fo surf the internet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Free Software Firewalls for Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Which Is the Best Free Anti-Virus Software? Other Security Software?
Which Is the Best Free Anti-Virus Software? Other Security Software? Win7 x64 Which is the best free-for-home-users anti-virus software? What other free-for-home-users security software do you recommend using in conjunction with Windows 7 x64 these days?
System Security
Windows 7 Firewalls
What is a bestest way to detect what firewall/s I am running on my computer? I have troubles using Darkbasic network registration tool:mad::confused:. Somehow my firewall blocks it.
System Security
Windows Firewall vs Third Party Firewalls
So I see many people on the forums, and on other forums, use a Third Party Firewall such as Comodo. Do you think that it is a improvement over the Windows Firewall? If so, what is your reasoning behind that? I mean, I think the Windows Firewall seems to be good, but I was just wondering why you...
System Security
Microsoft bans Free Software on Windows Phone 7
More...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App