Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Panda wants Ballot Screen for Windows Security Software

09 Nov 2010   #21
Woz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Steve Ballmer Signature (jealous???)
 
 

Next thing you know, cable and sat providers will complain that they can't compete with free-over-the-air broadcasts, so televisions will have to present options when they are turned on.

In my opinion, 9 out of 10 people running without security software won't opt to buy the software, so what is Panda really missing out on? Besides, MSE will only install on WGA verified systems. Panda can have all the pirated installs of Windows.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #22
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Woz View Post
Next thing you know, cable and sat providers will complain that they can't compete with free-over-the-air broadcasts, so televisions will have to present options when they are turned on.

In my opinion, 9 out of 10 people running without security software won't opt to buy the software, so what is Panda really missing out on? Besides, MSE will only install on WGA verified systems. Panda can have all the pirated installs of Windows.
That is a very miniscule portion of the installed Windows base and, therefore, largely irrelevant. It's otherwise known as reductio ad absurdum.

Sorry, really. You guys don't know much about anti trust laws, do you?

Please understand, I take this stuff very seriously. I don't brush it off with a mere wave of the hand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #23
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
Sorry, really. You guys don't know much about anti trust laws, do you?
Since you know so much about anti-trust laws, where is the anti-trust here? Offering a optional opt-in download from an optional opt-in service? Please enlighten us.

Furthermore, Microsoft already has a ballet screen that comes up in Security Center when you do not have an antivirus: (By click the button "Find a program online") http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ant...windows-7.aspx Even Panda Security is on it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #24
MWRed

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
The last time it was browsers, now AVs, whats next?

Ballot screen when you start installing Windows asking if you want Linsux instead?
Don't say that....the wrong person will read it, suggest it, and it may just happen.

If this kind of thing were to actually happen, for a FREE-Optional piece of software, then the next thing is Email. Same thing would happen with Windows Live Mail ( I can see Mozilla thinking this one up already).

Sooner or later, all we'd be left eith is the base OS, just enough to get to the desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #25
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Never mind. You guys do not get it. Sorry. The fanboy MS mentality is too pervasive here. I love MS, I've stated such previously. This is an issue that relates to marketing to the installed user base and the leverage therein.

I see I'm in the minority here, by far, so I'll let y'all tout, in this thread, the obviously, inherently, exemplary marketing practices MS always uses.

I'll carry the moniker of a pariah while y'all ignore the ramifications of the very thing for which you are arguing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #26
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

^^^ Meaning, you cannot enlighten us. That is how I read that. If you cannot communicate the point you are trying to make, that is your own fault. Saying we "do not get it" or calling us "fanboy MS" is unwarranted. If you cannot be bothered to make your point clear or explain it, then why should we take it into consideration?

There has also been almost zero marketing by Microsoft for Security Essentials, none in the consumer space. Any and all marketing has been purely by word of mouth and independent publishing. So what marketing practices are you referring to? The only people that even knew Microsoft was putting MSE on Microsoft Update where those that read the press release. Average consumers do not read such press releases.

This is a forum for discussion, if you cannot be bothered to discuss things and demand we accept your point of view out right, then you shouldn't bother coming to a discussion forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #27
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
Never mind. You guys do not get it. Sorry. The fanboy MS mentality is too pervasive here. I love MS, I've stated such previously. This is an issue that relates to marketing to the installed user base and the leverage therein.

I see I'm in the minority here, by far, so I'll let y'all tout, in this thread, the obviously, inherently, exemplary marketing practices MS always uses.

I'll carry the moniker of a pariah while y'all ignore the ramifications of the very thing for which you are arguing.


I apologize, but I can't exactly respect someone who argues so strongly for something, then refuses to explain his argument...

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #28
Grimmjow

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Microsoft is offering extra (optional) security to the people that are using their OS. If the program isn't good, doesn't matter is it free or not, people will not use it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
... the obviously, inherently, exemplary marketing practices MS always uses
Who doesn't? Apple maybe?
So, what's your solution about all this?
cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #29
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
Never mind. You guys do not get it. Sorry. The fanboy MS mentality is too pervasive here. I love MS, I've stated such previously. This is an issue that relates to marketing to the installed user base and the leverage therein.

I see I'm in the minority here, by far, so I'll let y'all tout, in this thread, the obviously, inherently, exemplary marketing practices MS always uses.

I'll carry the moniker of a pariah while y'all ignore the ramifications of the very thing for which you are arguing.


I apologize, but I can't exactly respect someone who argues so strongly for something, then refuses to explain his argument...

~Lordbob
I've already explained it. You just did not want to read it. The same as you refuse to understand anti trust law and the reasons more than one AV provider has raised concerns over this action by MS regarding MSE.

Don't laugh at me, Lordbob75, I have been presenting my posts concisely and respectfully with no derision. If you think my posts and my contributions to this topic warrant an ROFLMAO response, I have nothing more to say to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #30
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
Never mind. You guys do not get it. Sorry. The fanboy MS mentality is too pervasive here. I love MS, I've stated such previously. This is an issue that relates to marketing to the installed user base and the leverage therein.

I see I'm in the minority here, by far, so I'll let y'all tout, in this thread, the obviously, inherently, exemplary marketing practices MS always uses.

I'll carry the moniker of a pariah while y'all ignore the ramifications of the very thing for which you are arguing.


I apologize, but I can't exactly respect someone who argues so strongly for something, then refuses to explain his argument...

~Lordbob
I've already explained it. You just did not want to read it. The same as you refuse to understand anti trust law and the reasons more than one AV provider has raised concerns over this action by MS regarding MSE.

Don't laugh at me, Lordbob75, I have been presenting my posts concisely and respectfully with no derision. If you think my posts and my contributions to this topic warrant an ROFLMAO response, I have nothing more to say to you.
Actually, I can't refuse to read it since you never posted it...

I get that this could be seen as Anti-trust. Believe me, I do. I just think this is ridiculous in light of how the anti-trust ballot for browsers worked.

Personally, I think you are misinterpreting how we are viewing this situation. After all, the internet browser ballot was basically ineffective, and this appears to basically be a publicity stunt by a failing product.

I agree that you have been very concise and respectful with your posts. Deciding to not post in a thread any more simply because we "refuse" to read your argument is also acceptable (and many of us have done it). However, you have not explained these anti-trust laws you know oh so much about and that we refuse to understand.
See where I am coming from?

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Panda wants Ballot Screen for Windows Security Software




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Free is good: No-cost Panda Software tops AV-Testís rankings...
Free is good: No-cost Panda Software tops AV-Testís rankings of antivirus software Source A Guy
Security News
Malware uses Windows security feature to block security software
Read more at: Malware uses Windows security feature to block security software | ZDNet
Security News
Panda Security: Viruses Are the Least of Your Worries
Source A Guy
Security News
Shocker: Browser Ballot Screen Made Little to No Difference
more I actually disagree with his statement. Looking at the figures, Chrome has gained the most from this.
News
Opposition Continues to the Proposed MS Ballot Screen
Blah Blah Blah, Whine Whine Whine. PHOOEY!!! Microsoft has conceded a huge amount so far and your still not satisfied. Really if I was on the EU team, I'd just throw the whole case out at this point and say if you can't be satisfied, then you get nothing. :P Obviously trying to make a...
News
Panda internet security 2010 1 year key free
Windows 7 Launch Party The Most Free-er-est Software Giveaway Ever!!! As you know, The Windows 7 launch is October 22, 2009. Youíre making an investment in updating your operating system, this says some things about you: youíre smart, computer savvy and interested in...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App