Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Danger! Hackers Can Pwn Your Car


08 Sep 2011   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
Danger! Hackers Can Pwn Your Car

Quote:

If you think that texting while driving is your biggest vehicle-related tech concern, a new report from McAfee may make you think twice. It seems that with each passing model year cars get more and more high tech. Unfortunately, the benefits of the technology come with increased risk that hackers can find and exploit security holes and wreak havoc with your car.

The car used to be a purely mechanical contraption. Now there are onboard computers and embedded systems that constantly monitor and adjust various aspects to optimize power and fuel efficiency. Power seats, anti-lock braking systems, electronic stability controls, GPS navigation, communication systems and more all rely on software. We even have vehicles now that will automatically stop even if you don't react fast enough, or that can parallel park to squeeze your car into tight spots without your help.
Danger! Hackers Can Pwn Your Car | PCWorld Business Center


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Sep 2011   #2

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I don't even like the computers used to control emmissions and performance that have been around for years. When it comes to autos, I would like to leave computers out of them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2011   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

This is all theory, they have not actually hacked into any autos.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Sep 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
This is all theory, they have not actually hacked into any autos.

Jim
Scientists Hack Into Cars' Computers -- Control Brakes, Engine - ABC News
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP 1
 
 

Wow, never know that this could really happen...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2011   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
This is all theory, they have not actually hacked into any autos.

Jim
Scientists Hack Into Cars' Computers -- Control Brakes, Engine - ABC News
One group used a physical connection to hack into the autos system.
But they can't control anything remotely.
The other group was able to hack into the tire pressure wireless system to send false readings. Here is a quote from the second group.

Hacking into a vehicle's central computer wirelessly via the tire-pressure monitor system and taking control "is something we're not able to do right now," Gruteser says. "But we can't rule out that it's possible. Our goal is to raise awareness for consumers before this becomes an actual risk. Hopefully, they will then request from car companies more secure devices."

I don't see a reason to panic but I agree the automakers need to be vigilant with the design of these systems.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2011   #7

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote:
In May, a team of researchers reported that they succeeded in hacking into the onboard computer networks that controlled the engine, brakes, and door locks, among other systems. This latter study was done physically not wirelessly by connecting into a vehicle's computers.
You have to either open the hood or be in the car physically to do that right now. I doubt that important signals will ever be transmitted over wireless, however. Way too much liability.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Quote:
In May, a team of researchers reported that they succeeded in hacking into the onboard computer networks that controlled the engine, brakes, and door locks, among other systems. This latter study was done physically – not wirelessly – by connecting into a vehicle's computers.
You have to either open the hood or be in the car physically to do that right now. I doubt that important signals will ever be transmitted over wireless, however. Way too much liability.
Onstar has the capability to disable a moving vehicle wirelessly



My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2011   #9

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Quote:
In May, a team of researchers reported that they succeeded in hacking into the onboard computer networks that controlled the engine, brakes, and door locks, among other systems. This latter study was done physically not wirelessly by connecting into a vehicle's computers.
You have to either open the hood or be in the car physically to do that right now. I doubt that important signals will ever be transmitted over wireless, however. Way too much liability.
Onstar has the capability to disable a moving vehicle wirelessly



But has Onstar ever been hacked? I would think they have very good security on that system.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Even if it was hacked, you'd be randomly dealing with millions of cars to unlock, unlocking or controlling any specific one would probably be rather difficult.
Anyhow, people with that level of skill should be making hundreds of dollars an hour as IT security consultants. Stealing cars would just be a waste of their talents and not really net that much more money.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Danger! Hackers Can Pwn Your Car




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Danger! Hackers Can Pwn Your Car
Thread Forum
Graphic Card very hot = danger Graphic Cards
Solved What's the danger of an 'open' wireless network connection ? Network & Sharing
Danger in running Windows' volume all the way up to 100? Sound & Audio
PSU danger to hardware? Hardware & Devices
Danger!!!! Chillout Room
Any Electrical Danger? Chillout Room
McAfee (danger) System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33