Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Urges Users to Shut Down Windows Gadgets or Risk Attack

15 Jul 2012   #31

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
Rainmeter

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Hum well now I have dropped my gadgets and I hate getting rid of the weather and my Kaspersky one - I tried that Rainmeter and well id that isn't the most confusing app I've tried I'll eat my socks.

Yet people love it - ok it has some nice "skins" but hells bells trying to work out how just to get the weather up takes a Phd in physics for heavens sakes!
I accidentally deleted my Rainmeter setup, when I swapped from the Windows 7 betas to the real thing.

I was able to create my own CPU, RAM and Network meters, but I didn't manage to get the weather to work (I didn't spend much time trying though).

Probably the best bet would be to download some skins, see if you can get the weather working in one of them and then copy the config file.

My old setup:
Microsoft Urges Users to Shut Down Windows Gadgets or Risk Attack-rainmeter_desktop.jpg





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2012   #32

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Yeah ok mate I just don't like the idea of losing the pic of my grandson as my desktop wallpaper but I'll give it a go
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2012   #33

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Honestly, all of the software on all of my computers has atleast 1 vulnerability. Every piece of software that has ever existed can be hacked in some way. I'm not going to shut off gadgets because of this little thing that won't ever affect me. I have up to date antivirus and I am careful with what I download, so Microsoft, I'm NOT turning off my gadgets no matter how much you want me to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jul 2012   #34

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Honestly, all of the software on all of my computers has atleast 1 vulnerability. Every piece of software that has ever existed can be hacked in some way. I'm not going to shut off gadgets because of this little thing that won't ever affect me. I have up to date antivirus and I am careful with what I download, so Microsoft, I'm NOT turning off my gadgets no matter how much you want me to.
Hum windude I am sort of with you as I just cannot fathom out this Raimmeter stuff and the gadgets were so simple - I might just put them back.

As you say so rightly everything shows up some sort of vulnerability as my Kaspersky reports attest to, and who's to say the Raineter isn't vulnerable for that matter?

Plus I get to keeping my boy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2012   #35

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Win8 sucks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
I like to use gadgets like cpu meter, gpu meter, and network meter. They are really good gadgets. I never download any others except those because those are the only gadgets I see useful.
Exactly and all those useful gadgets are from trusted sources, believe it or not Microsoft we users aren't quite as stupid as you seem to think.

It's should be quite obvious to all of us that installing ANYTHING from an untrusted source is obviously not very smart. If the gadget function has vulnerabilities then they should be fixed by Microsoft rather than abandoning a very popular feature that millions are already using.

Msoft please stop trying to tell us what to do. We aren't dummies like you seem to think.

And if you even think of removing this feature from Windows 8 RTM I can guarantee you that I will never purchase Windows 8, NOT EVER! And I will make sure that all of my clients and friends also won't.

I've had Enough of this foolishness from Microsoft.

Windows 8 is horrible, i will not use or allow my family and most of my friends to use it. Sadly my mom wants the surface tablet because it does a bit more than most tablets, which is understandable. Windows 8 i tried and hated it, worst os ever
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2012   #36

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Yeah ok mate I just don't like the idea of losing the pic of my grandson as my desktop wallpaper but I'll give it a go
Only the "dials" are part of Rainmeter in my picture.
The "dials" were my second attempt (the first one just used simple bars).

It shouldn't affect your wallpaper.
If you make your own layout, you can position the meters anywhere you like.

If you wanted to, you should be able to use your grandson's picture as part of your Rainmeter skin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2012   #37

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Yeah ok mate I just don't like the idea of losing the pic of my grandson as my desktop wallpaper but I'll give it a go
Only the "dials" are part of Rainmeter in my picture.
The "dials" were my second attempt (the first one just used simple bars).

It shouldn't affect your wallpaper.
If you make your own layout, you can position the meters anywhere you like.

If you wanted to, you should be able to use your grandson's picture as part of your Rainmeter skin.
Ok lehnerus I'll give it another try then - perhaps I am doing something wrong setting it up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #38

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

So what's next? Having Aero enabled allows attackers to compromise your system as well?
I've used gadgets for awhile and I ain't gonna stop. I'd use Rainmeter, but Rainmeter won't tell me the temperatures of my hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #39

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Ok lehnerus I'll give it another try then - perhaps I am doing something wrong setting it up.
The instructions aren't very clear.
Don't you hate tutorials that sound like marketing blurbs?

I managed to get a Weather skin working.
The key bits of info came from:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PwnFrnzy View Post
So what's next? Having Aero enabled allows attackers to compromise your system as well?
I've used gadgets for awhile and I ain't gonna stop. I'd use Rainmeter, but Rainmeter won't tell me the temperatures of my hardware.
It should work as it comes with CoreTemp.dll now (I had problems last time I tried it, in 2010).

I've just reinstalled Rainmeter and rebuilt my old skin, so I'll see if I can figure it out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2012   #40

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

It should be noted that Gadgets still works on Windows 8. While you may not find a way to open gadgets, opening a .gadget file will cause the said gadget to pin on your desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Urges Users to Shut Down Windows Gadgets or Risk Attack




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33