Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials Client Update Package - KB2754296


26 Sep 2012   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I did an over the top update through windows update to this version
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 20
Size:  34.9 KB

Now every time it updates it installs the same database version (Im on hourly updates)
Microsoft Security Essentials Client Update Package - KB2754296-capture-1.png

Going to uninstall and try it fresh

EDIT- And now I have this and all seems well
Name:  new.PNG
Views: 34
Size:  42.5 KB

Danny



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Sep 2012   #12
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
I did an over the top update through windows update to this version
Attachment 233779

Now every time it updates it installs the same database version (Im on hourly updates)
Attachment 233780

Going to uninstall and try it fresh

EDIT- And now I have this and all seems well
Attachment 233787

Danny
An hour of Hiccup!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2012   #13

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

I'm not having the problem danny had, but in downloading MSE just in case, I have noticed the File version is 4.1.522.0, and the Product version is 4.1.0522.0.

If you download MSE you can find it under properties >details tab.

NoN, guess what?

WU ran an MSE update on me, and I think I match yours now.
Name:  MSE Sept1.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  57.2 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Sep 2012   #14
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I'm not having the problem danny had, but in downloading MSE just in case, I have noticed the File version is 4.1.522.0, and the Product version is 4.1.0522.0.

If you download MSE you can find it under properties >details tab.

NoN, guess what?

WU ran an MSE update on me, and I think I match yours now.
Attachment 233815

Tricky MSE...it needed to be refreshed only!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Think I'll give this update some time to un-confuse itself, I don't feel like potentially diagnosing an update gone awry at the moment. :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
Think I'll give this update some time to un-confuse itself, I don't feel like potentially diagnosing an update gone awry at the moment. :P
While you are certainly within your rights to hesitate in upgrading MSE, I would think it prudent to do so now.

Some questions:
  • I presume you have Windows Updates (WU) set to check, but let you decide?
  • Do you already have the Client update in your list of available updates?

Some thoughts:
  • Your present version of MSE should continue to accept the Anti-Virus Definitions (AVD), but if you wait too long you may start to see AVD update failures in your Update History.
  • If you do decide to update you may want to un-install MSE first before updating, that helped in danny's situation.
  • I did an over-the-top, and within a few hours with a new update to MSE's AVD, MSE straightened itself out.
  • I have tried searching for a plausible reason for the confusion, but haven't had any luck so far, so I'm going to contact our resident malware expert (Jacee) to see if she can shed any light on this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Some questions:
  • I presume you have Windows Updates (WU) set to check, but let you decide?
  • Do you already have the Client update in your list of available updates?
1. Negative. I have Windows Update set to manual, I hate automatic updates of any sort (barring AV definition updates out of neccesity from their nature).
2. No clue, I haven't bothered to check. I probably wouldn't have known there was a client update for MSE if it wasn't for this topic. :P

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Some thoughts:
  • Your present version of MSE should continue to accept the Anti-Virus Definitions (AVD), but if you wait too long you may start to see AVD update failures in your Update History.
  • If you do decide to update you may want to un-install MSE first before updating, that helped in danny's situation.
  • I did an over-the-top, and within a few hours with a new update to MSE's AVD, MSE straightened itself out.
  • I have tried searching for a plausible reason for the confusion, but haven't had any luck so far, so I'm going to contact our resident malware expert (Jacee) to see if she can shed any light on this.
1. Yeah, if I start to get update failures I'll grab the new client. If nothing else, that'd be a good sign I gave enough time for MSE to un-confuse itself. :P
2. I'll keep it in mind, as I recall MSE was very tidy about cleaning up after itself anyway.
3. Good to know.
4. Information is always good, here's hoping he can shed light on this seemingly minor issue. :)

As the old saying goes, don't fix what's not broken. Normally I'd grab updates like this ASAP, but if there are some issues at hand then I'm not one to go in and "fix" (and potentially break!) something that ain't broke in the first place.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #18
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

I was a bit young at that time but:

Quote:
May 1977:
Bert Lance believes he can save Uncle Sam billions $ if he can get the government to adopt a simple motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." He explains: "That's the trouble with government: Fixing things that aren't broken and not fixing things that are broken."

Your computer isn't a government. it is a machine that needs to be maintained whatsoever!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Security Essentials Client Update Package - KB2754296




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33