Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Avast 8 Released


02 Mar 2013   #21

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
You don't have to download the browser cleaner, although you can......
If you play the video below at 720p and in the full screen mode, you might be able to see at the top of the screen that this is in a VM that is all patched up. You just have to get the player's tool bars out of the way. IE9 is clean (no add-ons). Enabling the Avast add-ons first and then clicking on that download button still crashes IE9.



:::not impressed:::


It is not like there are lots of other things installed into this frozen VM:

Attachment 257617

To be clear, I don't need this solved; I'm just looking around Avast 8 for my own info. I was going to play with that tool as a stand alone. I'm sure if I installed Opera, it would download the tool :-)
I had that issue with v7 too, what I did was to reboot system, run IE on your default homepage (bing, google, etc...), then exit, go to avast and disable webrep addons (if you need too, rebooting solves the problem alone), then you are ready to go That happened when I wanted to see my devices in my avast account...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2013   #22

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

I want to replace Norton down the road, is this a good alternative ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #23

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 
It must depend ...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
They are still present, but you can decline the invitation to install them, but only in full installer, if you upgrae from your curent Avast UI, they only ask you if you would like to install google toolbar after a reboot.
It must depend on other factors (like your country?).

It didn't ask me and it isn't installed in Firefox 19 or IE9.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Mar 2013   #24

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
I want to replace Norton down the road, is this a good alternative ?
Sure. Avast has a good reputation and it gets along with Windows 7 just fine. If you like the things that it has to offer, then go for the free or the paid version. You can pick which parts to install. Other users like the free MSE antivirus tool, but it is very minimalistic (which is fine with me). If you want little icons beside each link in a search engine return, then go with Avast because MSE does not offer that.

In my limited testing of Avast 8, the software update tool works well. It provides a warning that a software package needs updating, then you can click a button and Avast will download the program and start the install. You manually finish the install just like you would any other install. To totally automate the install, you must buy that as an extra feature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2013   #25

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
I want to replace Norton down the road, is this a good alternative ?
Sure. Avast has a good reputation and it gets along with Windows 7 just fine. If you like the things that it has to offer, then go for the free or the paid version. You can pick which parts to install. Other users like the free MSE antivirus tool, but it is very minimalistic (which is fine with me). If you want little icons beside each link in a search engine return, then go with Avast because MSE does not offer that.

In my limited testing of Avast 8, the software update tool works well. It provides a warning that a software package needs updating, then you can click a button and Avast will download the program and start the install. You manually finish the install just like you would any other install. To totally automate the install, you must buy that as an extra feature.
How does it hold up against Norton, the same ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2013   #26
Microsoft MVP

 

Any program that adds in so much crapware you need a map to dodge it all is no longer credible.

Twice this weekend I had to uninstall Chrome and Google Toolbar after I'd told Avast Custom install NOT to include it. This included 80 abandoned registry keys found by CCleaner, and untold other corruption left behind as always turns out to be the case.

When you compare this hour of wasted time to the 30 seconds it takes to install MSE and be done with it, it makes no sense to stick with Avast out of a sense of loyalty - no more than it did years ago to stick with AVG after they bloated themselves out of the game.

Sorry but I had to vent after going through all that for a frickin AV. Who designs these "improvements?" A saboteur?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2013   #27

Windows 7 Home Prem x64 SP1, XP SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Any program that adds in so much crapware you need a map to dodge it all is no longer credible.

...

Who designs these "improvements?" A saboteur?
+ 1. Former long time Avast user. The final straw for me was Avast's iYogi "support" fiasco.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/...iyogi-support/
https://blog.avast.com/2012/03/15/iy...rvice-removed/
Avast Antivirus Drops iYogi Support — Krebs on Security
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2013   #28

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Sometimes it seems that way! Leaning on a big break anyway, changing email's for sure but not sure what yet, may be looking for new A/V too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2013   #29

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
I want to replace Norton down the road, is this a good alternative ?
Sure. Avast has a good reputation and it gets along with Windows 7 just fine. If you like the things that it has to offer, then go for the free or the paid version. You can pick which parts to install. Other users like the free MSE antivirus tool, but it is very minimalistic (which is fine with me). If you want little icons beside each link in a search engine return, then go with Avast because MSE does not offer that.

In my limited testing of Avast 8, the software update tool works well. It provides a warning that a software package needs updating, then you can click a button and Avast will download the program and start the install. You manually finish the install just like you would any other install. To totally automate the install, you must buy that as an extra feature.
How does it hold up against Norton, the same ?
The feature sets are comparable. There are companies that attempt to compare protection levels and rate AV tools. There is some debate as to the value of those comparisons. I don't have any data that suggests Norton is more effective or efficient than Avast or vice versa. (Both Avast and Norton products attempt to watch over too many things for my taste.)

There are people that I support that do not feel comfortable using MSE because it does not give them the feedback that products like Avast, AVG, Norton do. They want the little icons beside links in search engine returns and some of the other types of feedback missing from MSE.

I'm far from a fan of MSE. It has had its share of problems and I've wasted hours on the phone with Microsoft over MSE issues. I've also had to clean up after several infections that MSE let thru. But I still install MSE for those that I support because it plays nice with other programs and the operating system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2013   #30

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Never had any of the issues Greg mentions with Avast myself. Not sure it is the program, or the users Greg is helping. That may be the dividing line. For ease of installation, MSE, for better protection, Avast. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Avast 8 Released




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Avast 8 Released
Thread Forum
Solved avast System Security
Avast System Security
How to...? Avast 5 System Security
Avast 4.8?`` System Security
Can I use Avast with Norton 2010?Is Avast is light AV? System Security
Avast 5 officially released System Security
Avast 5.0 beta released System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33